XF (X260) 2015 onwards

No more XF LED head lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts
Default No more XF LED head lights?

I noticed on the Jaguar USA XF build site that LED head lights are no longer available. Only Xenon head lights. What's up with that? they are offered with the XJ model. I really like my LED head lights and am surprised they no longer offer them as an option on the XF.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:40 PM
Received 178 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by mleskovar
I noticed on the Jaguar USA XF build site that LED head lights are no longer available. Only Xenon head lights. What's up with that? they are offered with the XJ model. I really like my LED head lights and am surprised they no longer offer them as an option on the XF.
Not sure if this is the case specifically, but there was a news story earlier today about one of the safety groups (IIHS, NHTSA, etc.) conducting a study of most effective headlights among a group of SUVs and out of the 25 best, only 2 were LED units. The rest were HID (i.e., Xenon) units.

I've converted a 1989 Jag XJS over to LEDs and while I'm happy with the result, I do like most every Xenon HID setup I've tested better. I chose LED for the XJS just because it was easier to make the switch.

LED tech has advanced quite a bit in a very short amount of time but there are still issues of glare and throw to be overcome and if it's not done properly then I can see why some manufacturers would move backward out of the LED market.

Jess

Old 06-14-2017, 07:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JessN16
Not sure if this is the case specifically, but there was a news story earlier today about one of the safety groups (IIHS, NHTSA, etc.) conducting a study of most effective headlights among a group of SUVs and out of the 25 best, only 2 were LED units. The rest were HID (i.e., Xenon) units.

I've converted a 1989 Jag XJS over to LEDs and while I'm happy with the result, I do like most every Xenon HID setup I've tested better. I chose LED for the XJS just because it was easier to make the switch.

LED tech has advanced quite a bit in a very short amount of time but there are still issues of glare and throw to be overcome and if it's not done properly then I can see why some manufacturers would move backward out of the LED market.

Jess

Comparing the HID lights from my previous BMW with the LED lights of my XF my conclusion is this: I prefer the white light of the LEDs. I would rate the HID lights I HAD as longer distance lights on high beam but otherwise comparable. One could argue how the lights are aimed ie in Germany lights are aimed lower but overall, I could accept either as both are long lasting. The LEDs do look Cool eh?

Old 06-14-2017, 10:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I checked the on line jaguarusa.com configurator and found the Premium and Prestige models are shown having Bi function Xenon HID headlights. Portfolio, R-Sport, and S models are shown having Adaptive Xenon Headlights, which would seem to confirm that now only Xenon Headlights are available. However, for Portfolio, R-Sport, and S models, if you proceed to build those models but click no options and click on Summary, each lists the headlights as being Adaptive LED Headlights (under Exterior options) with the price as "Pack". It appears Portfolio, R-Sport, and S receive the LEDs as part of the model upgrades, but the configurator is misleading in showing them as having Xenons until you view the build summary. I have an '18 XF S on order, and my specifications sheet shows it will have Adaptive LEDs.

Not only is the configurator misleading about the headlights, but it continues to list WiFi as a separate option to be selected even after the Technology Package is selected, which includes WiFi as part of the Connected Navigation feature, and both areas still show the WiFi as 3G, not 4G as now shown in the printed brochure for 2018 models.

It concerns me that there's such poor attention to detail on their web site, which is where many considering a Jag purchase will begin their research. What does this say about their build quality? How many propective customers would be turned away if they specifically want LEDs and/or 4G WiFi as opposed to Xenons and 3G and that's all it takes to break a tie in their decision between a Jag and another vehicle? I sure hope these inconsistencies spread no further than their advertising department!

The following users liked this post:
JessN16 (06-18-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Van Greenwood (Sandman799)
... What does this say about their build quality?...
My cars' quality is great I haven't found anything to fault and I'm picky. It appears from what you found that their configurator is messed up. I'm glad they didn't drop the LED for the Xenon or we'll find out when you get your car Does it say LEDs on your order?

Old 06-15-2017, 01:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Van Greenwood (Sandman799)
I checked the on line jaguarusa.com configurator and found the Premium and Prestige models are shown having Bi function Xenon HID headlights. Portfolio, R-Sport, and S models are shown having Adaptive Xenon Headlights, which would seem to confirm that now only Xenon Headlights are available. However, for Portfolio, R-Sport, and S models, if you proceed to build those models but click no options and click on Summary, each lists the headlights as being Adaptive LED Headlights (under Exterior options) with the price as "Pack". It appears Portfolio, R-Sport, and S receive the LEDs as part of the model upgrades, but the configurator is misleading in showing them as having Xenons until you view the build summary. I have an '18 XF S on order, and my specifications sheet shows it will have Adaptive LEDs.

Not only is the configurator misleading about the headlights, but it continues to list WiFi as a separate option to be selected even after the Technology Package is selected, which includes WiFi as part of the Connected Navigation feature, and both areas still show the WiFi as 3G, not 4G as now shown in the printed brochure for 2018 models.

It concerns me that there's such poor attention to detail on their web site, which is where many considering a Jag purchase will begin their research. What does this say about their build quality? How many propective customers would be turned away if they specifically want LEDs and/or 4G WiFi as opposed to Xenons and 3G and that's all it takes to break a tie in their decision between a Jag and another vehicle? I sure hope these inconsistencies spread no further than their advertising department!

Yes, the Jaguar configurator is confusing, non intuitive and even the optional packages for me seemed fine but some things are standard and others not so. My Prestige had the Vision package and LED isn't standard on that model Jag, at least for 2016 and 2017 as far as Canada West Coast is concerned. Don't have WIFI which should be stardard but was on another package which I don't have as I bought the MGR demo.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:51 PM
Received 178 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by BCJAG
Comparing the HID lights from my previous BMW with the LED lights of my XF my conclusion is this: I prefer the white light of the LEDs. I would rate the HID lights I HAD as longer distance lights on high beam but otherwise comparable. One could argue how the lights are aimed ie in Germany lights are aimed lower but overall, I could accept either as both are long lasting. The LEDs do look Cool eh?
Yeah, I've gotten several compliments on the XJS when I turn the headlights on. I used a pair of Harley Davidson multi-element Daybringer-style lights on the low/hi beam, then for the dedicated high beams, bought a pair of Hella H1 spot-floods. At first, I left them halogen; you would be amazed at how strong those were. I think you could set fire to the car in front of you. But I eventually changed them over to a very high-end H1 LED and with the high beams on it looks like a Las Vegas hotel.

Jess

Old 06-25-2017, 09:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Confirmed with my dealer, my 2018 XF S will have LED headlights. The configurator is just inconsistent between what it shows prior to going into the Build and Price site. What the Build Summary finally shows even if you make no configuration changes is LEDs, and that's what you'll get. Estimated arrival on mine now showing 21 July. Can't wait!