XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Problems with new 2021 XF

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 02:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Problems with new 2021 XF

I just bought a new XF R dynamic less than a month ago. It has a number of problems, briefly as follows:
1. InControl doesn't let me log in and gives me "unknown error" on the vehicle. However, it works fine and shows all the info on my phone and computer.
2. The posted speed limit on the instrument panel jumps up and down. For example, on a small stretch of road with fixed posted limit of 35 mph, the vehicle speed limit jumps from 35 to 50 to 30 to 35 ....
3. The 4G signal showing on the screen is practically nonexistent. Also, there's no hotspot, so what is the 4G signal there?
This is the first and only XF that came to this dealership and they have no idea how to diagnose and fix these problems. What are my options?
Thanks!

Old 04-04-2021, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Is this a Jaguar main agent or just a multi-make car dealer ?

Old 04-04-2021, 11:37 AM

This is a Jaguar Land Rover dealership only. No other brands. Sorry about the duplicate post!!! Tried unsuccessfully to delete one of these.

Old 04-04-2021, 01:22 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Call JLR and get someone on the phone to help you troubleshoot the problems. If the electronics are malfunctioning, take it in to the dealer for warranty repair and get a loaner. Jaguar will work to resolve the issues quickly as any repairs and the cost of the loaner will be on the company's dime.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:08 PM

I'd given the list of problems to the dealership. They kept the car for a week, but couldn't fix any of the problems. They can't even explain what's going on. Instead, they're saying that these issues will go away with the next update. I don't think so. There are major hardware or software issues here. Don't know who else to talk to ...is there a JLR central office in the US who can diagnose the problems? Thanks

Old 04-05-2021, 11:51 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Call JaguarUSA HQ inMahwah, NJ..

1-800-4Jaguar
1-800-452-4827

Have your VI# ready mate..
Cheers..

Old 04-05-2021, 12:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

We're having the exact same problems!!!!!!
InControl in the car asks you to log in but won't let you log into the PIVI system. The apps on your phone work fine, but the car won't register you. We've tried 100 times; changed PW's; used different keys; inside the garage; outside the garage; AT THE DEALERSHIP!
ALSO: It keeps deleting drivers.
ALSO: The maps and wifi trial features come and go ---- mostly go.
ALSO: No one can explain to me what features are tied to the digital key, but the PIVI screen repeatedly asks you to pair your key and phone to "take advantage of programmable features".
ALSO: It has "forgot" our garage codes twice.

I've spent hours with JagUSA on the phone. They openly acknowledge they aren't trained on PIVI systems. They send me to the dealer who says it has to be handled by the JagUSA people. Does anyone have these issue that had them solved?

Love the car, but I'm starting my documentation for lemon law...

The following users liked this post:
F1Virginia (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 12:36 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Oh Wow!

PIVI by Lucas?

Sorry mates..

Old 04-05-2021, 12:45 PM

Thanks!! I'm calling them right now.
And I see another person here who is having the same problems!

Old 04-05-2021, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by madaws01
We're having the exact same problems!!!!!!
InControl in the car asks you to log in but won't let you log into the PIVI system. The apps on your phone work fine, but the car won't register you. We've tried 100 times; changed PW's; used different keys; inside the garage; outside the garage; AT THE DEALERSHIP!
ALSO: It keeps deleting drivers.
ALSO: The maps and wifi trial features come and go ---- mostly go.
ALSO: No one can explain to me what features are tied to the digital key, but the PIVI screen repeatedly asks you to pair your key and phone to "take advantage of programmable features".
ALSO: It has "forgot" our garage codes twice.

I've spent hours with JagUSA on the phone. They openly acknowledge they aren't trained on PIVI systems. They send me to the dealer who says it has to be handled by the JagUSA people. Does anyone have these issue that had them solved?

Love the car, but I'm starting my documentation for lemon law...
My goodness, we're having the same types of problems!!
Would it be possible for you to guide me with how to proceed with lemon law documentation?
I'm calling the HQ in NJ right now 1-800-452-4827
The dealership kept my car for a week and couldn't resolve a single problem. They don't know what's going on.

F1Virginia (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 01:22 PM

Just spoke with Jaguar HQ in NJ. They said they will work on the problems I mentioned, and get back with me in a couple of days. Meanwhile, they are going to disconnect me from InControl and re-connect me in about 24 hours. It's a wait-and-see situation for the next couple of days. I also gave them the name and number of the Service Manager at my dealership.

Last edited by ranaz; 04-05-2021 at 01:23 PM. Reason: added another sentence
Old 04-05-2021, 04:13 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

You should be on the new Pivi Pro system for 21MY unless there are some early ones still using InControl Touch / Touch Pro

Did the dealer not attempt a forced update?? There has been 2 software updates in the system in last month or so to fix issues ( Pivi Pro ), but it will have to be done manually by the dealer.

madaws01 (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 11:11 PM

Thanks for the info on dealer updates. My dealer reacts like a deer in the headlights when I mention pivi. Are you in the US or the UK? I'm wondering why this is so poorly communicated to the US dealers?

ranaz (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 11:40 AM

Yes I have the new PiviPro system, and this is the one that's causing all sorts of problems. My 2019 XE that I traded for the new one had the older system and that worked fine. Not sure what exactly the dealer did but they had the car for over a week, so am assuming that they tried a few things. Unfortunately, they weren't able to fix any of the problems on the list. I am in communication with the HQ folks ... it's on-going so am hoping they will be able to fix the problems soon.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:47 AM

I'm in the US, in Arizona. My dealership reacts exactly the same way as you described. It's so obvious that nobody has a clue what's going on, including their tech guys. I am now in touch with the HQ guys in NJ. They tried to fix the Incontrol login issue over the phone but that didn't work. So, now they are proceeding at a deeper level and said that they'll keep me posted about the status. The good thing is that the matter has now gained the attention of JLR at the national level, instead of being confined to the local dealer. I would strongly recommend getting in touch with the HQ at 1-800-452-4827 and go to option 9 and proceed from there on. They are on Eastern time. I think that the more cases like ours they get, the faster they'll work to fix the problems.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:38 PM

@ Ranaz - did they at least inform you they've submitted a TA ( Technical Assistance ) Report to get the attention that there is an issue with your vehicle? I'd be quite shocked if they haven't at this point.

At least with a TA submitted, there would have been pictures and a session file attached so the engineers can see whats happening behind the scenes. However because you're in a different market, you might experience slightly different issues than other markets, but software updates will be across the board. As far as I know, they are still working on software updates to begin over the air. I'm surprised they haven't tried manually updating in the meantime.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:03 PM

Yes, I was told yesterday that they had issued a Technical Assistance to their tech staff, but later she came back and told me that the TA folks have said that I should take the matter back to the dealership. In other words, I'm back to square one. One interesting thing is that the TA says that the dealership should "complete the VSS".
So, I forwarded the email I received from them to the service people at the dealership. I have no idea what the VSS is or whether it was done as expected by the dealership. I will take the car back to the dealership, and wait and see if the problems get fixed this time. (The dealership had kept my car for a week last week but were unable to fix anything.)

Old 04-07-2021, 11:42 PM

VSS refers to Vehicle Shared Secret - it just basically runs checks on the vehicle to make sure everything is working as it should, and does a reset of the system. This is something that has to be performed through diagnostic laptop.

Hopefully they've updated the TA, as both the tech and the engineer assigned have a 24 hour period to respond to each other, each time the TA is updated.

Let us know when they get back to you

ranaz (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 09:23 AM

IMPORTANT: Land Rover Defender has had the same system and same issues. See this link to the LR forum. MOST of the issues of remembering drivers seems to persist, but a number of the issues seem to resolve by resetting PIVI. Hold the PIVI power button (The roller/button for volume and power on the console) for 15 seconds or until the Jaguar logo appears to reboot it. I won't be able to test it until this evening. Bottom line: We're not alone!

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/v...hp?f=8&t=11850

Also: There appear to be two threads on this topic. I'm going to make sure I stick to this one.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:05 PM

Thanks much for deciphering what VSS means. I would imagine that the dealership would've done the VSS before handing over the new car but apparently they didn't. In any case, I've forwarded to them the email that corporate had sent me. I haven't heard back from them yet so am going to call them and perhaps also drop by.

Quick Reply: Problems with new 2021 XF