XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Problems with new 2021 XF

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 12:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by madaws01
IMPORTANT: Land Rover Defender has had the same system and same issues. See this link to the LR forum. MOST of the issues of remembering drivers seems to persist, but a number of the issues seem to resolve by resetting PIVI. Hold the PIVI power button (The roller/button for volume and power on the console) for 15 seconds or until the Jaguar logo appears to reboot it. I won't be able to test it until this evening. Bottom line: We're not alone!

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/v...hp?f=8&t=11850

Also: There appear to be two threads on this topic. I'm going to make sure I stick to this one.
Thanks for the info. We had already tried resetting PiviPro when I had taken the car back to the dealership. But I'm going to try it again here at home.
I have another question: when I pull away from the garage or from any parking lot, the front view cameras stay on for quite some time. The other day I drove all the way from the parked spot to the main road with the front camera on. Is that normal?

Old 04-08-2021, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by ranaz
Thanks for the info. We had already tried resetting PiviPro when I had taken the car back to the dealership. But I'm going to try it again here at home.
I have another question: when I pull away from the garage or from any parking lot, the front view cameras stay on for quite some time. The other day I drove all the way from the parked spot to the main road with the front camera on. Is that normal?
Sorry to keep asking questions! Here's one more: I have one-year subscription to Online Pack with Data Plan. What do I get with this subscription? What does it do? I'd asked the dealership but they couldn't help (they didn't know).

Old 04-08-2021, 12:48 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My camera stays on for maybe 100 yards. I think it's tied to speed but haven't really watched it carefully. For us it's only an issue to the extent it blocks you from the info system for a few seconds.

Following re-set, I'm still not able to log-in to InControl (as the screen requests) and there's no association of any key to any driver or feature. Reset seems to have helped the lag times and nav issues.

The following users liked this post:
ranaz (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 10:06 PM

My camera stays on for maybe 100 yards. I think it's tied to speed but haven't really watched it carefully. For us it's only an issue to the extent it blocks you from the info system for a few seconds.

Following re-set, I'm still not able to log-in to InControl (as the screen requests) and there's no association of any key to any driver or feature. Reset seems to have helped the lag times and nav issues.
I did the reset by pressing the Power button for 15 seconds, but still can't log in. The problem is somewhere else, and there's no resolution yet from the company or its dealers.
As for the front camera staying on, thanks for the feedback. It must be some combination of speed, distance and time in drive mode.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
VSS refers to Vehicle Shared Secret - it just basically runs checks on the vehicle to make sure everything is working as it should, and does a reset of the system. This is something that has to be performed through diagnostic laptop.

Hopefully they've updated the TA, as both the tech and the engineer assigned have a 24 hour period to respond to each other, each time the TA is updated.

Let us know when they get back to you
Thanks again for telling us what VSS stands for. I had forwarded corporate's message to me to the dealership service staff but haven't yet heard back from them. I'm beginning to think if it would be okay to contact the next nearest dealerships (about two hours away) and take the car there ... maybe they have a better grasp of things.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:37 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I did the reset by pressing the Power button for 15 seconds, but still can't log in. The problem is somewhere else, and there's no resolution yet from the company or its dealers.
As for the front camera staying on, thanks for the feedback. It must be some combination of speed, distance and time in drive mode.

Really appreciate your sticking with it and your thread updates..
This seems quite the deja vu of the myriad InControl errors which plagued Jags some 5 years ago during its development.

Fwiw, save for the following delay, I will say the ICT in my '17 works absolutely perfectly now.. some 20 software revisions later it seems.

Also, depending on what's happening on the ICT, my rear cam can stay active for up to 15 seconds after shifting out of Reverse.

Clearly, a RAM/CPU latency issue.. but not a dealbreaker.

Subscribed for your Updates..
Cheers!

Last edited by F1Virginia; 04-08-2021 at 10:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by F1Virginia:
madaws01 (04-08-2021), ranaz (04-08-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 09:51 AM

Sorry to keep asking questions! Here's one more: I have one-year subscription to Online Pack with Data Plan. What do I get with this subscription? What does it do? I'd asked the dealership but they couldn't help (they didn't know).
I don't think I've seen any responses about the data packs: Those are for the active map updates/weather/traffic/etc., and also for the hotspot wifi. They are definitely tied to InControl somehow, but I can't figure that out either. Mine will connect sometimes in my car, but not consistently. I think it also ties into the speed limit recognition issues. Anyway, that's on my "Ask the Dealer" list.

Old 04-14-2021, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A brief update with a question at the end:
I haven't been able to take the car back again to the dealer to do the VSS etc that was advised by their corporate tech. Should be able to do so next week. Meanwhile, may I bring back some of my old complaints once again ... as I'd mentioned before, the posted speed limit on the instrument panel constantly jumps from the actual posted speed by the roadside. For example, on a 35 mph side road, it jumps to 50 within ten seconds of crossing the first post on the road that says 35, and stays at 50 until the car reaches the next roadside post, when it goes down to 35 ... then jumps back to 50 until it sees the next one ....
It does the same on a constant 45 mph road as well.
Most astonishingly, on a narrow twisted road where the posted limit is 25 mph, the car read it as 85 mph and stayed at 85 throughout!!!
It seems quite obvious that there's a problem with the camera/vision system.
I've mentioned this to the corporate folks and they responded by saying that once the dealership fixes the VSS stuff, all of this should be resolved.
Now for my question: Is anyone having the same issue with the car reading posted speed limits erroneously? This is in addition to the ongoing inability to sign in to InControl in the vehicle itself.

Old 04-14-2021, 01:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think I've seen any responses about the data packs: Those are for the active map updates/weather/traffic/etc., and also for the hotspot wifi. They are definitely tied to InControl somehow, but I can't figure that out either. Mine will connect sometimes in my car, but not consistently. I think it also ties into the speed limit recognition issues. Anyway, that's on my "Ask the Dealer" list.
A brief update with a question at the end:
I haven't been able to take the car back again to the dealer to do the VSS etc that was advised by their corporate tech. Should be able to do so next week. Meanwhile, may I bring back some of my old complaints once again ... as I'd mentioned before, the posted speed limit on the instrument panel constantly jumps from the actual posted speed by the roadside. For example, on a 35 mph side road, it jumps to 50 within ten seconds of crossing the first post on the road that says 35, and stays at 50 until the car reaches the next roadside post, when it goes down to 35 ... then jumps back to 50 until it sees the next one ....
It does the same on a constant 45 mph road as well.
Most astonishingly, on a narrow twisted road where the posted limit is 25 mph, the car read it as 85 mph and stayed at 85 throughout!!!
It seems quite obvious that there's a problem with the camera/vision system.
I've mentioned this to the corporate folks and they responded by saying that once the dealership fixes the VSS stuff, all of this should be resolved.
Now for my question: Is anyone having the same issue with the car reading posted speed limits erroneously? This is in addition to the ongoing inability to sign in to InControl in the vehicle itself.

Old 04-14-2021, 01:15 AM

An apology to all on this thread ... I somehow managed to post on this thread with a different username (Ranam) that I had a couple of years ago, instead of the username that I am using now, which is ranaz. My apologies for causing confusion! I am embarrassed.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:16 AM

Got my MY21 XF back from the dealer. They reflashed the system, but there were only minor updates, primarily to do with the cooling system controls. He said JagUSA is aware of the issues and has promised a major update in May. He said they expect the update to be an OTA release so a visit to the shop won't be necessary. I'm a little un-convinced it can be fixed in an OTA release, but we'll see.
My list was:
  • Remember key associated with driver and setup features base on the key it recognizes
  • Can't login to InControl in the car (but app works great).
  • Weather and Data are intermittently available/unreliable
  • Completely forgets all driver data and we have to do a complete driver setup
  • Forgets Phones that are paired
  • Speed Limit keeps changing in same area
  • Occasionally can't use live nav (traffic, etc)
  • Has forgot garage door codes twice
  • Touch screen can take 5 or 6 seconds to respond to an input sometimes
  • Nav can be jerky and slow, sometime several miles behind our actual location
Last -- and maybe the community can help with this -- Exactly WHAT can be updated through the key being associated with a driver? I haven't found any documentation of that, and the dealer couldn't say except that he thought the radio stations were.

The bottom line: Pray for May's update to be helpful.

Mark

Last edited by madaws01; 04-14-2021 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the list, of which I share many of the same problems.
As for the questions you've raised, one has to wonder who if anyone knows the answers, because certainly the dealerships don't know and corporate keeps sending me back to the dealer.
I am seeing very similar problems (with the new Pivipro) being reported in an F-pace forum as well, which gives hope that this is a larger issue across JLR platforms and will therefore (hopefully) be given attention by their tech staff back in the UK.
I too am doubtful that an OTA update will fix such serious issues. It could very well be a hardware problem ... a batch of faulty components perhaps. Who knows.

madaws01 (04-14-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 05:23 AM

At the risk of appearing indelicate..

Bolle' promised improvement so we'll see how quickly they tie this off..

madaws01 (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 08:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 04-18-2021, 04:35 PM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes, it's sad, but both the XF and the XE seem likely to disappear by 2025, quite likely sooner. If you want a performance saloon/sedan you're going to have to go to BMW, Audi or Mercedes it seems. The vast majority of vehicle buyers in Europe and the UK seem to be obsessed with SUVs and SUV-like smaller "boxes on wheels". I'm now based in the UK but lived in the US for a number of years and there are still decent sedans to be had there. I drove several V8 Dodge Chargers and loved them, but with the recent merger of Fiat-Chrysler with Europe's Peugeot-Citroen-Opel-Vauxhall to form Stellantis I guess both the Charger and the Chrysler 300 will be at risk of being discontinued.

Old 04-20-2021, 07:09 PM

Guess what, folks, I now have an additional problem, in addition to the existing list that hasn't yet been resolved.
Today, while I was running errands, the navigation disappeared. It just disappeared. No amount of re-starting and re-setting brought it back.
I took a picture of the screen; it says: Please insert USB drive containing map files.
I was in the vicinity of the dealership, so went there and showed it to them. As I've said in earlier posts, they have no clue what's going on. They want me to bring the car to them next Tuesday, when they'll look at it. I'm afraid all they can do is to "look" at it.
I'm writing to JLR corporate again. I'm also considering leaving a paper trail and eventually seeking some kind of resolution involving lemon laws, etc. Any advice will be most welcome.

Old 04-20-2021, 07:40 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

This happened to me once in my 2018 XE. There is a memory card in a slot in the center armrest compartment. I simply popped it out and back in while driving and the navigation worked fine.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by tellcarl
This happened to me once in my 2018 XE. There is a memory card in a slot in the center armrest compartment. I simply popped it out and back in while driving and the navigation worked fine.
Thanks for the input. Actually, in the new system (Pivi Pro) there is no such memory card slot. They don't have a physical SIM slot either, something that I had in my 2019 XE for wi-fi. In retrospect, that car worked so much better; it didn't have all these problems that I'm facing with the 2021 model.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the input. Actually, in the new system (Pivi Pro) there is no such memory card slot. They don't have a physical SIM slot either, something that I had in my 2019 XE for wi-fi. In retrospect, that car worked so much better; it didn't have all these problems that I'm facing with the 2021 model.
Is your OTA account active?

https://www.jaguarusa.com/owners/sof...ate/index.html

Old 04-20-2021, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by F1Virginia
I don't know if my OTA account is active but I would assume that it is. I remember receiving one over the air update a few days after I bought the car. What I know is that I can't log into In Control in the vehicle itself.
Thanks for the link! Appreciate it. I'm going to check it out. What I can't understand is why they want me to insert a USB drive with map files, etc. Shouldn't any update be OTA? Besides, why should the map disappear completely even if there's an update? I've sent emails to both - my dealer and the Jaguar corporate office - asking these questions and emphasizing that these are serious issues and that I'm considering following up with options to return the car for a refund.

Quick Reply: Problems with new 2021 XF