XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Problems with new 2021 XF

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 03:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Until JLR get off the bottom of the quality and reliability surveys, they are going to struggle, especially in the US. The internet is rife with tales of woe from people who bought a Jaguar or a Land Rover vehicle. It is time to stop faffing around with various new "features" that aren't really necessary and get the engineers to concentrate on (1) reliability, (2) durability and (3) maintainability. Only when these issues are fixed can they possibly expand again.
Items 2 and 3 never seem to get considered. My experience with two XJ saloons is that reliability was excellent, but durability was poor; parts that one would expect to eventually need replacing, wore out at ridiculously low mileages. Maintainability is another issue needing addressing. Labour charges mount up when a lot a technician time is spent dismantling things to get at a fairly low cost part. Just look at the valley hose on the V8 SC engines; hours of labour just to get to it and then put everything back. Yet if the part had been better specified this job would not be necessary.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fraser Mitchell:
F1Virginia (04-21-2021), SCMike (04-30-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 01:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Until JLR get off the bottom of the quality and reliability surveys, they are going to struggle, especially in the US. The internet is rife with tales of woe from people who bought a Jaguar or a Land Rover vehicle. It is time to stop faffing around with various new "features" that aren't really necessary and get the engineers to concentrate on (1) reliability, (2) durability and (3) maintainability. Only when these issues are fixed can they possibly expand again.
Items 2 and 3 never seem to get considered. My experience with two XJ saloons is that reliability was excellent, but durability was poor; parts that one would expect to eventually need replacing, wore out at ridiculously low mileages. Maintainability is another issue needing addressing. Labour charges mount up when a lot a technician time is spent dismantling things to get at a fairly low cost part. Just look at the valley hose on the V8 SC engines; hours of labour just to get to it and then put everything back. Yet if the part had been better specified this job would not be necessary.
Fully agree with you. JLR should devote considerable energy towards quality and reliability, and push for continuous improvement, instead of adding untested bells and whistles that don't work.

Old 04-21-2021, 01:13 PM

I lost my maps/navigation suddenly yesterday. I was hoping it would magically reappear this morning, after having left the car locked overnight. No luck!
Sent email and wrote to corporate customer care, no response yet. Spoke with dealer service personnel, they have no clue.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:32 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm gonna bet that this issue in my daily Topix update from JLR is related to your issue..

I realize that Pivi isn't ICT/ICTP but I'll alert you as soon as I see your error listed in Topix.

The following users liked this post:
ranaz (04-22-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 04:20 PM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Why-oh-why does JLR keep putting out software with loads of bugs in it, not properly train their dealers on it, and effectively expect the paying customer to complete its development? I looked at the JLR promotional video for the PIVI-Pro system and it was boasting about all the capabilities, bells and whistles it had and "what a marvellous customer experience it would provide".
In fact, they appear to have added so many new features into it they clearly didn't have time to properly test it all before it was put in cars for sale. It would have been much better to reduce all the new features and just concentrate on getting the basics to work properly.
I have the older InControl Pro system on my XE and just missed the introduction of PIVI-Pro. Initially I was displeased about this but now I'm feeling it was just as well. It has taken JLR a number of years to get all the bugs out of InControl Pro and I'm sad to realize that it probably will take them the same time to get them out of PIVI-Pro.

ranaz (04-22-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 07:39 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisjp
It has taken JLR a number of years to get all the bugs out of InControl Pro and I'm sad to realize that it probably will take them the same time to get them out of PIVI-Pro.
Indeed..
My now 5yo ICT works a treat with no hiccups.

I suspect that JLR is not alone in rushing Infotainment capabilities only half-baked.

After MPG figures, today's non-enthisiast luxury buyers are looking for systems that cram as much Tech as possible.

I remain impressed with JLR's Topix subscription which gives you daily emails on the latest technical issues and their remedies.

Never got that from Ford, Honda, Audi or Porsche..

ranaz (04-22-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 09:50 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

F1Virginia: That's an awesome feed on the software. We just need guidance and to know what questions to ask. Please keep us posted.

ranaz (04-22-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by F1Virginia
I'm gonna bet that this issue in my daily Topix update from JLR is related to your issue..

I realize that Pivi isn't ICT/ICTP but I'll alert you as soon as I see your error listed in Topix.

Thanks!!
Like magic, the navigation is back today. Don't know when it'll suddenly disappear again.

madaws01 (04-22-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 03:45 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ranaz
Thanks!!
Like magic, the navigation is back today. Don't know when it'll suddenly disappear again.
Yup, looks like they sent out 8,000+ OTA Updates..
Post a vid of you driving your new '21!

ranaz (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 05:01 PM

That's 8153 individual vehicles that confirmed the update? I'll dig into my PIVI for version info to compare. THANKS SO MUCH!

ranaz (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by F1Virginia
Yup, looks like they sent out 8,000+ OTA Updates..
Post a vid of you driving your new '21!
That's awesome! Thanks for sharing!
By the way, my version reads as follows:
OS 2.0.9a P2a C6
Installed on 13 March 2021

Also, I still can't log into InControl on my vehicle, and posted speed limit keeps fluctuating on most roads.
I'm scheduled to drop off the car at the dealership this coming Tuesday.

Old 04-24-2021, 03:17 AM

I'm at 2.0.6 from February 23rd. What does the IP 31 mean? My car was in the shop April 1st and they said there were no further updates. How do I respond?

Old 04-24-2021, 04:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am pleased I read this thread. I picked up my f pace last week and have been struggling with pivi pro.This is one of the first Jaguars with pivi pro and the dealers have no idea what to do . They are used to the land rover but the sites seem to be different to Jaguar.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jasz1156:
madaws01 (04-24-2021), ranaz (04-24-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by madaws01
I'm at 2.0.6 from February 23rd. What does the IP 31 mean? My car was in the shop April 1st and they said there were no further updates. How do I respond?
That makes no sense, We have the same model and year and yet we have different versions! There is so much confusion.
Another thing I noticed: When I checked yesterday, the installation date read 13 March 2021. This morning I took a picture of the screen, and now it says 12 March 2021. Why did the installation date change? The version number stayed the same. And by the way, you mentioned IP 31. What is IP 31?

Old 04-24-2021, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jasz1156
I am pleased I read this thread. I picked up my f pace last week and have been struggling with pivi pro.This is one of the first Jaguars with pivi pro and the dealers have no idea what to do . They are used to the land rover but the sites seem to be different to Jaguar.
Completely agree with you that the dealers have absolutely no clue about this new stuff and how to diagnose and fix it.
It seems that JLR has not provided them with the necessary training and tools.
I'll be taking the car in for a second time on Tuesday, and am pretty sure nothing will be fixed. They kept the car for a week the first time, and nothing changed.

Old 04-24-2021, 07:05 PM

Here's my current software as of today. We bought the car on February 23rd and it's been in the shop twice since then with no updates done... They have told me that everything's up to date. Clearly yours is a newer version, so I'm not sure what's going on. At least now I have something to show them to get them to understand how basic this issue is.

ranaz (04-25-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 09:24 PM

Here's my current software as of today. We bought the car on February 23rd and it's been in the shop twice since then with no updates done... They have told me that everything's up to date. Clearly yours is a newer version, so I'm not sure what's going on. At least now I have something to show them to get them to understand how basic this issue is.
I'm going to bring the snapshots of the different OS versions to the attention of the US Customer Care center as well as to my dealership.
I'm wondering if those of us who are affected can collectively write to JLR about our problems, if that's even possible.

Old 04-29-2021, 02:16 AM

A brief update: I turned in my car to the dealer yesterday, April 27, and got a 2021 Discovery Sport as a loaner. This vehicle has the new Pivi Pro and here a few observations about it:
1. The posted speed limit in this loaner vehicle behaves exactly the same way as in my car! It gives the same erroneous values on the same roads! This is another piece of evidence that the new Pivi Pro has some serious issues.
2. This loaner vehicle has a much more recent update compared to my vehicle, as shown in the attached picture. This proves that the posted speed limit bug hasn't been fixed with the latest updates.
3. Another disturbing observation is that the posted speed limit (rectangular box) occasionally disappeared on the loaner vehicle, and I'm talking about driving on main roads. I did not observe this with my vehicle ( keeping fingers crossed).
4. I couldn't verify the In Control login issue since this is not my vehicle.
Below: OS version in 2021 Discovery Sport that I'm using as a courtesy/loaner while my car is with the dealer.

Old 04-29-2021, 04:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer reacts like a deer in the headlights when I mention pivi

When you see something like this - run away to another dealer from the nearest big city )

Old 05-02-2021, 10:11 PM

An update: I received my car back and there have been a couple of important changes.
1. I was able to log into my In Control account in the car for the first time!!
2. The dealership said they did a VSS.
3. There was no change to the posted speed limit variations/errors, and since the loaner car has the same problem, I'm assuming that it's common across JLR. The dealership said that it should be fixed with future updates.
4. My car's OS version is still from 12 March, while the Land Rover loaner car had a 27 April update. It seems that LR is ahead of Jaguar in terms of updates (?)
5. I got a new thing in my media and it has a list of podcasts - it was not there before.
6. I also got a weather app that wasn't there before.

Quick Reply: Problems with new 2021 XF