Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts
Default The smoking tire 2016 xf-35t R review

Matt farah in the 2016 XF- 35t R
The smoking tire Review

Old 05-19-2016, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

During the driving impressions portion of the video, it was like they were on my long weekend test drive of the XE. Can't tell you how many of my thoughts were exactly the same at his regarding the chassis, etc. Hope the R gets here soon.

I just sat in one last week and he's completely right on the door cards. I don't know why they stopped the wood so early and then left that big piece of plastic there. At least with the wood (or whatever else they chose to offer) it would break up that space so it wouldn't be so obvious. I also worry about the piano black on the center console either always having finger prints or scratching easily.

I like the way Matt Farah reviews a car. Maybe that's why that series is so popular.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like Matt as well, and I think he hit this one exactly correct.

The XF's big positive is its handling characteristics. To me, it drives the way BMWs used to.

The XF's big negative is its interior quality. It's just not a special place to be. I'm going to guess we'll soon see an optional upgraded interior (higher quality leathers, leather dash, leather door trim).

Old 05-20-2016, 11:12 AM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

This is the called the XF and not the XE in his review....he also talks about a "gigantic rear seat" which I can tell you the XE does not have. So I'm confused as how much similarity these two have?

Old 05-20-2016, 05:20 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CRS 123
This is the called the XF and not the XE in his review....he also talks about a "gigantic rear seat" which I can tell you the XE does not have. So I'm confused as how much similarity these two have?
He tested the XF. The XE is smaller and about the size of a BMW 3 series. The XF is about the size of a BMW 5 series. I can tell you the rear seat in my XF is more than generous and the trunk reminds me of the huge Crown Vics I drove. But longer and lots more useful to boot! Plus the fold down seats allow carrying of skis, surfboard, etc.

What I don't understand is the $72K price on a XF 35t R-Sport when for almost the same money you could have an S model with the higher HP engine as well.

He comments on the brakes, S may have larger brakes so does the R-Sport also have them unless specially ordered? I know when I configured one Jag they were optional.

Last edited by Magnumforc; 05-20-2016 at 05:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CRS 123 (05-20-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 05:48 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
What I don't understand is the $72K price on a XF 35t R-Sport when for almost the same money you could have an S model with the higher HP engine as well.
Someone at JLR really messed up on pricing. When I configure my fully optioned XF S online, it prices out at a very lofty $79k (and that excludes the $3k tech package which is not on the online configurator). Configuring the XF R-Sport exactly the same, it prices out at $130 MORE! Someone got something wrong.

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
He comments on the brakes, S may have larger brakes so does the R-Sport also have them unless specially ordered? I know when I configured one Jag they were optional.
There aren't any optional upgraded brakes. Do you think that the S has larger standard brakes than the R-Sport?

Old 05-21-2016, 09:35 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
Someone at JLR really messed up on pricing. When I configure my fully optioned XF S online, it prices out at a very lofty $79k (and that excludes the $3k tech package which is not on the online configurator). Configuring the XF R-Sport exactly the same, it prices out at $130 MORE! Someone got something wrong.

There aren't any optional upgraded brakes. Do you think that the S has larger standard brakes than the R-Sport?
You are correct. The option on some models is for the red calipers but I think that is only in the European configurator.

That price is amazing. I was able to add the tech package and it runs more than I would have imagined. Plus, the engine has less HP and doesn't have some of the choices for wheels. Also, the wheels look overpriced to me.

I did note that the Jet/Light Oyster seats are just the reverse of the S model where the inner panel is black and the outer panels oyster. On the R-Sport, the inner panel is white and the outer is black.

I think when you go for the upgraded models they lump many options into the pricing. Try the European configurator and it's crazy how each option is extra. The LED headlights on the S for example are about 1250 British pounds extra while in the US on the S model they are standard.