XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Special Modes Unavailable

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 06:23 PM
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Special Modes Unavailable

Driving along in dynamic and suddenly car goes to normal. Gauges change to white and indicator says normal mode confirmed. Huh? Nothing in cup holder or near gear shift that could have accidentally hit the mode button. So, I try to change it back and get message "special modes unavailable". True to message, am also unable to select Eco or Winter/Rain modes. Pull into garage, put car in park and still no go. Turn off engine and restart, dynamic and other modes now available. Anyone else experience this?
2016 XF (US)

Old 06-20-2016, 10:13 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe a high temperature glitch? Living in Tampa it could be that the system is trying to reduce load? I lived in Pasco County right northwest of you and had vehicles do strange things when I drove into the interior of the state where the temps topped 100.

Time for a dealer visit I would guess.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got this message for the first time this morning when I started it up on the way to work. It had been sitting overnight in the garage so the engine was cool. I just got my F Pace home from the dealer last week after having the suspension replaced for the creaking issue that is common. Did you have your rear springs replaced for that issue? Wondering if it could be related? I'm not excited to bring it back to the dealer already...

Old 09-12-2016, 09:37 PM

Never really fixed so I can't say. Dealer chalked it up to "you need update (for all my other issues) that is coming out sometime soon". So, it was never directly addressed. Good news for me is at least it hasn't happened again.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:36 PM

There are 3 software updates that the dealer did this week on my vehicle. One added "messages" to the phone so I can not only read them, but be notified when I have one and it will read it out loud. Plus, I can reply thru the car. Nice touch. And the phone is on Bluetooth only.

Start-Stop now works and I found how it can be disabled. LOL..it never worked from the beginning as the dealers showroom car gopher disconnected the wire and all that had to be done was reconnect it! Took three days for them to figure that out though....

Old 10-28-2016, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
There are 3 software updates that the dealer did this week on my vehicle. One added "messages" to the phone so I can not only read them, but be notified when I have one and it will read it out loud. Plus, I can reply thru the car. Nice touch. And the phone is on Bluetooth only.

Start-Stop now works and I found how it can be disabled. LOL..it never worked from the beginning as the dealers showroom car gopher disconnected the wire and all that had to be done was reconnect it! Took three days for them to figure that out though....
Would love to know what wire! LOL! I also just got a trifecta of updates this week (yesterday). It is supposed to fix all the issues I've been having for 7 months. Although I'm not super hopeful as I had to turn right back around after leaving the dealership due to BT not "turning on" even though it was enabled. It meant the phone on the settings menu was greyed out. This, of course, is what got me in there in the first place. Tech came out and saw exactly what was happening but he was able to finally get it to work just by pushing the "button" enough times. Not super confident this has solved the problem as this was after the multiple updates- fingers crossed though. I wish there was a way for consumer to verify version/update. I have my old OBD tool but there doesn't seem to be any apps that read Jag-specific (I'm talking low-end home user here).

So, so, so jealous of your messages capability. Congrats! My phone is apparently on the approved list but has never worked. Maybe when I wake up tomorrow the car will finally have rebooted enough times to recognize the updates? I'm just being silly - I have yet to understand the craziness of the issues I've had with the system. But, the drive seems to be enough to make up for it! 😀

BTW, are you on the J.A.B w/ curious Emma D and all her questions? Don't want to call you out but I've been wondering if you and initials B.S. on the project space are the same person? Feel free to ignore my nosy inquiry.

Thanks again for the update!

Old 10-28-2016, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by MellieR
Would love to know what wire!
Just read the other thread. Thanks.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by MellieR
Would love to know what wire! LOL! I also just got a trifecta of updates this week (yesterday). It is supposed to fix all the issues I've been having for 7 months. Although I'm not super hopeful as I had to turn right back around after leaving the dealership due to BT not "turning on" even though it was enabled. It meant the phone on the settings menu was greyed out. This, of course, is what got me in there in the first place. Tech came out and saw exactly what was happening but he was able to finally get it to work just by pushing the "button" enough times. Not super confident this has solved the problem as this was after the multiple updates- fingers crossed though. I wish there was a way for consumer to verify version/update. I have my old OBD tool but there doesn't seem to be any apps that read Jag-specific (I'm talking low-end home user here).

So, so, so jealous of your messages capability. Congrats! My phone is apparently on the approved list but has never worked. Maybe when I wake up tomorrow the car will finally have rebooted enough times to recognize the updates? I'm just being silly - I have yet to understand the craziness of the issues I've had with the system. But, the drive seems to be enough to make up for it! 😀

BTW, are you on the J.A.B w/ curious Emma D and all her questions? Don't want to call you out but I've been wondering if you and initials B.S. on the project space are the same person? Feel free to ignore my nosy inquiry.

Thanks again for the update!
That is me I believe. Looks like the JAB will only have a few more rounds before it ends.

I posted the info on the wire for stop-start in the forums and it has to be the answer as my tech stated when I reconnected the hanging wire it did nothing and needed to be moved to the battery terminal. As soon as they repositioned it the stop start began working. Also said it could take two drive cycles to reset after the fix but only took a mile or so and it functions. So, maybe now I will disconnect it and see if it impacts any other functions.

Hope your updates work out well. I have the standard ICT and really like it.

Old 06-30-2021, 04:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes i have a 2017 S RWD and was driving today and Special Modes Unavailable error message and i could not use the Drive Modes nor would my transmission change into gears lower than 6th... i had to stop, turn the car off, then crank and it went away

Old 07-01-2021, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seen similar on my previous XE (2015) and also on my XF(2018), it just seems to go away, have asked a few times, and the dealer did not have an answer. I've just turned the car off and back on and its back to normal, I reckon its a software bug they can't pin down.