XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Stop-Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 01:34 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Stop-Start

I have now used every electronic feature and only one is not working. It is the "Stop-Start" feature that shuts off the vehicle at stop lights. I really disliked that feature and even though it can be disabled for a single drive, once you stop the car it is supposed to kick back in again. It seems mine is permanently disabled and I am ecstatic that it never works. Even in ECO mode it doesn't come on. Everything else works great. More happiness is having that disabled!

Anyone else finding this on their new XF?

Old 04-18-2016, 08:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the stop/start even with it on I found I have to push the brake pedel a little harder than normal (harder than required to hold the car still) when at a stop for it to stop the engine. Once the engine stops you can release the pedal back to the normal level. I actually really like it since I know how long I'll be sitting or if I'll need to pull out in a hurry and can control how it works manually without having to switch it on/off all the time.

The following users liked this post:
Magnumforc (04-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 06:21 PM

Aha! It appears the reason for my stop-start failure may be that the eejit who unhooked the wiring from my battery at the dealership and failed to reconnect all the wires. (The car was a new showroom model and they hooked up a charger to keep it charged). I checked today and found a wire with no attaching nut hanging loosely from a post so it could well be that was the problem. Will know during a commute drive tomorrow. It will go to the dealer in any case.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts

Didn't your mom teach you to leave well enough alone Come to think of it.....what wire??? Picture please. There's people out here that would love to turn off Start/Stop without remembering (and usually forgetting) to turn it off at start up. I do not like the restart judder. It takes a serene cabin atmosphere and ruins it.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
I have now used every electronic feature and only one is not working. It is the "Stop-Start" feature that shuts off the vehicle at stop lights. I really disliked that feature and even though it can be disabled for a single drive, once you stop the car it is supposed to kick back in again. It seems mine is permanently disabled and I am ecstatic that it never works. Even in ECO mode it doesn't come on. Everything else works great. More happiness is having that disabled!

Anyone else finding this on their new XF?
Had mine couple of weeks. I am hoping it quits. First thing I do after starting car is shut it off. It may be disabled by unplugging the cable under the rear trunk floor mat according to what I had read somewhere but I wont do it due to the warrantee.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:00 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I despise that feature and after 3 months of ownership, I've gotten pretty good about remembering to shut it off every time. When I do forget, it scares the crap out of me when my car shuts off. I tried the ECO mode, just to see what gas mileage I can get but if you are in ECO mode, you can't shut it off at all. Would love to get other ECO mode advantages without the Stop-Start being engaged, but I can't.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by uab9253
I despise that feature and after 3 months of ownership, I've gotten pretty good about remembering to shut it off every time. When I do forget, it scares the crap out of me when my car shuts off. I tried the ECO mode, just to see what gas mileage I can get but if you are in ECO mode, you can't shut it off at all. Would love to get other ECO mode advantages without the Stop-Start being engaged, but I can't.
With my car you can disengage Start/Stop while in ECO mode after you select ECO mode.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mleskovar
With my car you can disengage Start/Stop while in ECO mode after you select ECO mode.
Me too

Old 10-23-2016, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
Didn't your mom teach you to leave well enough alone Come to think of it.....what wire??? Picture please. There's people out here that would love to turn off Start/Stop without remembering (and usually forgetting) to turn it off at start up. I do not like the restart judder. It takes a serene cabin atmosphere and ruins it.
It didn't work! It appears that cable seems to do nothing, except as possibly an additional ground. After connecting it (I had to get the correct size nut as it was not in the trunk tire cavity) the stop-start still does not work. So much for the "aha" moment.

Dealer will sort it out and let me know what goes on. Since everything else works perfectly I am rather concerned about even going in to the dealer! But I need them to order the trunk latch shield so will see what they say.