XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Takata Airbag and Loaner Car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 07:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Takata Airbag and Loaner Car?

Anyone else get the letter from Jaguar that the cars have the Takata airbag?

The letter says that the car "could cause serious injury or death" if driven, and get in an accident. It further says that they will not have a replacement part until September!

Who would drive a car with this knowledge? The facts are that 11 people have died and around 200 people have had serious injuries from these airbags exploding.

I know that BMW and Acura have had the problem and it took months for them to get the parts too. They immediately offered loaners to anyone who wanted them, no questions asked.

I called Jaguar and asked for a loaner. They absolutely refused.

Jaguar also tried to claim it is Takata's problem, not theirs. I responded that just like every part on their car, they don't get to pass the buck because they had someone else supply it.

I even pointed out that Anthony Foxx, then U.S. Transportation Secretary said: “Folks should not drive these vehicles unless they are going straight to a dealer to have them repaired immediately, free of charge.”

Our car is still under warranty and subject to California lemon law. So I also demanded they take the car back as a lemon. They also refused this.

Anyone have any better luck with this?

Old 04-21-2017, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 699 Posts

I also have a 2007 Honda and March 2016 got a letter telling me that it was subject to the recall, but that there were no parts available to fix it. They would notify me when the parts were available, estimated summer 2016. July 2016 I got another letter saying still no parts available. Finally, this month I got the letter saying that they finally had the parts and to schedule an appointment to have the airbags replaced. Its going in next week.

There was one sentence in the original letter saying that you could call "your dealer" to discuss temporary alternative transportation. Yeah right, like "your dealer" is going to loan you a car for a whole year or more? Maybe if your dealer is a close relative or joined at the hip.

We're talking about 100 million vehicles recalled worldwide. I'll bet ten years from now we'll still be reading about some models of cars still waiting on replacement airbags.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 256 Posts

What year is your car? It took a year to get the airbag for my wife's BMW. There are just too many of these faulty airbags in circulation to be giving loaners until the parts arrive.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:33 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Your dealer is a jackwagon!!!

I got a loaner car when they replaced it. I'm sure he is getting paid by takata for the labor. Just tell him you are also having some other issue for warranty... ;-)

Old 07-17-2017, 11:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a family member in a 2004 BMW registered to me. I too got these "you could die if the air bag goes off" letters and I went to BMW about a year or so ago and said this is a problem with the air bags not being available and I don't want this car driven until they come in.

BMW paid for a brand new loaner from the rental car place next door to them for about 8 months until the air bags came in. The rental car bill was many thousands of dollars, more than the book value on the 2004 BMW. I was losing sleep over if they would really pay this very high bill. They did.

On seeing the incredible amount being paid to the rental car company, I told BMW, I would have gladly just taken that amount and given them the BMW back!

Anyway, they replaced both airbags and said those of us were at the top of the list since they were paying for our rental cars. As a result, I've referred several friends to that dealership who have purchased new BMW's in the last few months.

That is what I call very good customer relations, especially since my BMW was 12 years old with about 100k miles on it.

I'd be interested in an update on how Jaguar has dealt with your issue as I was looking into the XF for yet a different family member. But, if they are jerking you around...that will create pause.

On my F-Type I've only needed oil changes so far so it's been all good. I'll have to now look into if F Type airbags are on the latest list.

It's when something like this airbag recall happens you see the true colors of customer relations. They stick by you, you stick by them and buy their brand again. They don't...C ya!