XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Trunk opener

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Trunk opener

I have an intermittent problem with my auto trunk opener that the dealer couldn't fix. They saw it fail once but still couldn't find a fault. It fails from the key fob, button on the dash, or button on the trunk lid. It will unlock but not raise. I then raise it by hand and it always closes from any button. Is there a limit switch for the opening? One service rep/writer guessed it's controlled by the computer but didn't really know. It has gone from highly intermittent ..... like once in 20 tries .... to more often ..... like once in 5 tries. It usually fails first time I use it in the morning, especially when cold. I'm guessing the motor and hardware are behind the covers in the trunk. Any parts pictures? .Any ideas?

Old 09-06-2021, 03:24 AM
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Had a similar problem.
Early in the morning, before driving, the trunks fully opens with a button push.
Only a 7 to 10 minute drive to work.
Once there the trunk unlatches with the button but does not raise.
That suggests the battery is a bit low and the software overrides the raise command.to save battery.
However, the car starts in a split second, hardly uses any battery power and even a 7 minute drive would be enough to replace any battery drain.
I would expect things to be the other way around, after a drive there would be a bit more battery voltage so it should be easier to raise the trunk.

Yesterday I charged up the battery for 10 hours at about 3 or 4 amps.
Today no problem raising the trunk at work.

To charge the battery I used the 12V terminal in the fuse box next to the engine, very convenient feature.
An odd thing is I could hear a slight whine, like a small electric motor running at high speed, and it is there without the charger connected.
It is hard to trace, seems to be close to the fuse box but that is not a certainty.
After charging for 10 hours i would expect the battery voltage to be at least 13V, but it was just over 12V.
Something not quite right about that.
I am charging again tonight and see what gives tomorrow.

Old 09-06-2021, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by richardsjags
.....Early in the morning, before driving, the trunks fully opens with a button push.....
That's when it usually fails for me. First in the morning. But often now it's all through the day. It fails, I pull it up by hand, then close it with the button on the lid and that always works. Then it works for a while and randomly fails.

....That suggests the battery is a bit low and the software overrides the raise command.to save battery.....
I don't drive much, and usually short trips, so I constantly check the battery and never let the SOC go below 50%.

.....To charge the battery I used the 12V terminal in the fuse box next to the engine, very convenient feature......
Yes, that's the jump start location. It's also a handy place to check the SOC.

.....An odd thing is I could hear a slight whine, like a small electric motor running at high speed, and it is there without the charger connected.
It is hard to trace, seems to be close to the fuse box but that is not a certainty.....
That's the LED power supply cooling fan. All you have to do is touch the door handle with the motor off and it starts, runs for a while, then stops. It also runs for a while after you turn the motor off.