XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Underside of 2018 XF Sportbrake

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 12:41 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Underside of 2018 XF Sportbrake

I am a longtime member of the XK8 (X100) forum here but first time posting to the X260 forum. I am seriously considering purchase of a 2018 Sportbrake, which I have wanted since before they are sold in the US. It's located far from my home, so I am having to rely on pictures and other remote information, even if it is a Certified example at a Jaguar dealer. I asked for undercarriage pics and think all looks pretty good.
However, at the rear of the underside, a few things puzzle me; I'm not sure what I am seeing. The light green arrows on the left and right above point to what look like casters sticking out of those two housings (mufflers/resonators?) that the tailpipes pass through (or above?). What are those two housings and what are those little rollers? Between those, where I’ve put the turquoise arrow, is that the fuel tank? If not, what is it and why is it all crumply-rumply looking? I don’t see anything else under there that looks like a fuel tank but would expect it to be farther away from the rear bumper, these days.

Not only am I not able to see this Sportbrake in person, I have yet to see ANY Sportbrake in person. I live rather in the boonies so don't see a lot of Jaguars around, especially ones as rare as the US spec Sportbrake.

I'll appreciate any help you can give me, even if you tell me my questions are silly!

Granville Pool
Redwood Valley, California
XK8 Coupe 4.2-liter

Old 08-05-2021, 06:29 AM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

The two green arrows are what the call exhaust Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH) mass damper. That is normal on newer Jag vehicles. The turquoise arrow is body sealer where the spare tire is held. The fuel tank is tucked up into body just forward of rear differential.

The following users liked this post:
JaguarJack12 (08-10-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 09:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wondering, how many miles and what are they asking for it. If you like a sporty ride, you will love the sportbrake.

Old 08-05-2021, 05:30 PM
Default Too late

Mr Persnickity it was $46K. Located near Chicago, with 25K miles on the clock. I took too long with my remote (I'm in northern California) due diligence efforts and someone beat me to it. I was still trying to get clear on all the details, such as warranty, so probably not quite ready to say I'd take it until at least late today or perhaps tomorrow and found out this afternoon that it sold "late" last night.

I'm really sad and disappointed, depressed even, that after it had reportedly sat unsold for over three months, I actually got trumped. I'll be amazed if I ever get another chance like this. This was a sure enough unicorn or perhaps a snark as it was Loire Blue with Brogue leather. I'll be extremely surprised if another such ever hits the market as, out of some 99 model year 2018 Spottbrakes sold in the States, this was probably the only one in that choice combination. The only other combination that would make a poor second choice for me would be one with grey exterior and Brogue leather and I have yet to see one such listed anywhere. I really want BRG/saddle tan but sadly that was not offered.

My wife has been insisting that our next car must be electric and wants an I-Pace (what a dreadful name!) but had even okayed this Sportbrake purchase. Arrgghhh!!!

Old 08-07-2021, 02:15 PM
Received 69 Likes on 34 Posts

If you're open to white w/ grey interior I'm thinking of selling my 2018 Yulong White Metallic SportBrake.
It's the only one I've ever seen when I was searching with all 4 option packages, Tech, Drivers Assistance, Premium Interior and Comfort & Convenience plus Heated Windshield and Heads-Up Display. original msrp was $87K. I've been working from home for a year and a half now and barely drive. It just turned 5K miles, 5,300 as of today
Also has professionally installed Ceramic Coating, 35% window tint including tint on pano roof and full front Clear-bra up to the doors.
The dealer made it CPO in 2019 with 375 miles after it had sat on their lot at Jag Santa Barbara for 1 year. I had it sent to Denver on an enclosed hauler. I added 1 year to the CPO to make it extended by 2 years so it's fully covered until 1/2026. Plus the EliteCare free maintenance until 1/2025.

Only reason I'm considering selling is when I was at the Jag dealer for free annual maintenance and made the mistake of driving a used 2020 F-Pace SVR on the lot. The V-8 Supercharged engine and that sound is absolutely incredible. That is the only other vehicle I think I like more than the SportBrake.

The following users liked this post:
DeviLSh (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 09:56 AM
Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

Man I thought the SAME thing when I got under mine and saw those little dampers. I wondered if the rear boxes were used on another car that had active valves for altering sound, and the sportbrake didnt utilize this feature so they "Deleted" the mechanism. But an NVH suppressor would also make sense. I should unbolt them and see if anything changes or gets more raspy... for science.

Also I could be wrong, but extra groovy seam sealer there might be to insulate the compressor parts and their sound for inflating the rear bags? Otherwise I agree its just some underbody goop.

If you encounter another car in the Chicagoland area, feel free to message me. I will HAPPILY go and see it and give you a thorough rundown of it to save you the trip or anxiety of not seeing the car. I saw the car you are mentioning pop up on cars.com, and drooled over the blue combo. But I already had a sportbrake so I wasn't as heartbroken! Keep looking, they are popping up here and there.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:45 AM

I still hope to have one, eventually, but am off the boil for now. As the blue one had been sitting there for a few months, I wasn't particularly worried that someone else would beat me to it. Well I got that wrong.

In truth, even the blue/brogue combo falls short for me. I'd so rather have BRG or Cotswald blue with saddle tan, not just the seats but all over and lots more wood. No matter the seat color in these, there's too way much black plastic inside for my old school taste.

I would also much prefer the less aggressive styling of the nose of the first-gen X250, which we regrettably did not get in the US market. That said, as I'm a sucker for almost any Jaguar and for any shooting brake, I still want one.

Old 08-18-2021, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JagWire_5280
If you're open to white w/ grey interior I'm thinking of selling my 2018 Yulong White Metallic SportBrake.
It's the only one I've ever seen when I was searching with all 4 option packages, Tech, Drivers Assistance, Premium Interior and Comfort & Convenience plus Heated Windshield and Heads-Up Display. original msrp was $87K. I've been working from home for a year and a half now and barely drive. It just turned 5K miles, 5,300 as of today
Also has professionally installed Ceramic Coating, 35% window tint including tint on pano roof and full front Clear-bra up to the doors.
The dealer made it CPO in 2019 with 375 miles after it had sat on their lot at Jag Santa Barbara for 1 year. I had it sent to Denver on an enclosed hauler. I added 1 year to the CPO to make it extended by 2 years so it's fully covered until 1/2026. Plus the EliteCare free maintenance until 1/2025.

Only reason I'm considering selling is when I was at the Jag dealer for free annual maintenance and made the mistake of driving a used 2020 F-Pace SVR on the lot. The V-8 Supercharged engine and that sound is absolutely incredible. That is the only other vehicle I think I like more than the SportBrake.

Hi,

New here - I'm interested to learn more about your sportbrake. However, I can't seem to locate how to DM you? Thanks.

Old 08-19-2021, 10:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default These are very rare cars!

Back in 2018, after they knocked $20K off the sticker price, I swapped a 2013 Boss 302 and a 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT for the dealer's showroom Sportbrake. "No-one wants station wagons" was the general manager's comment. Honestly, the Sportbrake is the hybrid child of the two trade-ins. It is fast, elegant and can haul stuff. Taking the drivers and 3 metals out of the bag, I can fit four sets of clubs in the cargo area without folding down the rear seats. In the 4 years I have had the car, I have only seen one other Sportbrake. When I moved to Texas, my first visit to the North Austin dealership was quite the welcome. None of the Sewell team had ever seen this model. While $120K two seaters dressed up the showroom, I felt pretty good when such a fuss was made over my car. If you can find a pampered specimen

, get it. Just don't get in black, it gets dirty before it is even dry after a car wash.

The following 2 users liked this post by 2018Sportbrake:
JaguarJack12 (08-20-2021), Panthro (12-19-2023)