XF (X260) 2015 onwards

What do you guys think of the New XF refresh?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 03:02 AM
Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts
Default What do you guys think of the New XF refresh?

The following users liked this post:
Kruzer (12-22-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 03:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Four cylinder only, a yuge backwards step!
First they came for the V8, then they came for the V6.
What is next, no ICE at all and leccy only?
The beginning of the end for Jaguar.

The following 4 users liked this post by OzXFR:
hiltoncam (10-06-2020), Motorcity XF (10-06-2020), sgtm7 (10-22-2020), Xfsman (10-10-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 03:36 AM
Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

So true. Scary that the great V8 Jaguar engine never made it into the X260. Pity really. I still can't understand why they put it in the SVR Jaguar XE and not the XF. The XF's engine bay is more than big enough and that little 4 pot will be rattling around in there with nothing to keep it company

Old 10-06-2020, 03:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by hiltoncam
So true. Scary that the great V8 Jaguar engine never made it into the X260. Pity really. I still can't understand why they put it in the SVR Jaguar XE and not the XF. The XF's engine bay is more than big enough and that little 4 pot will be rattling around in there with nothing to keep it company
When you look deep into it and keep asking why, it's all about that eeeeevil trace gas CO2.
The biggest scam/fraud/hoax in history.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Jaaaggg (10-21-2020), Kodiak (10-13-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 695 Posts

Looks like they just stuck an i-pad to the dash with velcro.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:26 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Like the styling but the engine choices are a turn off.

Xfsman (10-10-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts

Don't like the screen but like the rest of the interior. Exterior minor changes look good. Curious how noise cancellation works ... through the audio system? Won't buy a 4 cylinder so will keep my '17.

Last edited by mleskovar; 10-06-2020 at 04:31 PM.
LeeTheLeo (10-10-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 01:47 PM
Received 69 Likes on 34 Posts

The SportBrake refresh looks nice, but they killed it off in the US for 2021, not surprising since almost no one knows they existed in the US, only lasted 3 years, 2018 - 2020.
SportBrake ending in US

Old 10-06-2020, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

For me it is just plain ugly ! Those two absolutely massive holes below the headlamps on each side; at least on my 2017 XE there is a splitter to divide the holes up horizantally.

Old 10-07-2020, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

huge improvement on interior and exterior design IMO. car also comes with a huge price reduction (7k).....but the 4cyl engine is a no-no for me

Xfsman (10-10-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 03:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as the music is not included, I'm fine.

Old 10-08-2020, 05:00 AM
jya
Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

Its a commercial reality that for the brand to survive its needs to keep appealing to the masses.
With this years refresh its likely more than last years total of c10,000 XF units sold globally will keep the model viable.
Again another commercial reality is that the big USA market is nudging 70% of passenger car sales being SUV's, warning any brand where the consumers love affair continues to lie. Not so much in luxurious sedans.
There's still a healthy luxury sedan market but the masses of that healthy market don't mind if their luxurious sporting sedan has an engine that looks like a sewing machine nor if its engine resembles that of a washing machine nor if the interior has an iPad stuck to the dash (like my friends cheap and cheerful Citroen Cactus) nor if the Leaper is missing on the bonnet nor if the Growler is not angrily staring at them every day giving them attitude and certainly not if the car resembles a smaller Bentley Flying Spur or Rolls Royce Ghost...
The brand has been constantly moving away from Lyons' original vision of making a smaller Bentley sedan at less than a third of the price. This means that you really need those fresh trendy designers at Gaydon; you know the casually dressed ones that wear expensive runners, jeans and sports-coats to work, oh and definitely no neck ties; silk designer cravat perhaps. And if they need to come up with a luxury sports sedan with little to no product differentiation to sustain its viability then so be it.
Lyons was a revered character and gifted at many things. Among his enviable virtues; beautiful design flair and a shrewd business sense (at the time that's how he got the price of his cars so competitive) but most of all he knew what his clients wanted.
These are all still obligatory traits for a car business to have these days but it can't be done any more from just one or a handful of talented people. Don't worry the Gaydon design team have been taught to know exactly what the consumer wants. They are a hugely important part of the cog of this premium car company to ensure its survival. So expect more of what you currently see.
The new XF is perfect for its intended market segment and a testament to the company ensuring its survival.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:12 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Nice to look at but the engine choices are not acceptable

I must admit that the exterior refresh is nice but the interior refresh is the key part of the package. I was waiting for this car, but when I found out that they had abandoned the V6 and were going with 4 cylinders only, I ended up buying a BMW 540i with its glorious in line 6. I so much wanted to buy a Jag again, but Jaguar have lost sight of their heritage and trying to go mass market appeal instead of going upmarket and giving us the best of the last versions of the internal combustion engine. Mercedes still provide 6s (and inline at that), so Jag have bowed out. These new 4s are powerful but they do not appeal to the emotions. I grew up with Jags (I was born just after the war in the UK) and my Dad had several. I have owned 3 and would still have had my last one if I had not had to make a year long trip back to the UK before I returned to the US. Such is life. I guess it is back to the used market to see if I can find a decent low mileage and well looked after XF.

BTW the demise of the XE is not really a surprise. They never finished it, in my opinion.

The following 2 users liked this post by whitbyxf:
jya (10-09-2020), Xfsman (10-10-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jya
.....The new XF is perfect for its intended market segment and a testament to the company ensuring its survival.
I disagree. Most Jaguar owners are performance oriented and a 4 pot doesn't excite the intended market. I believe the absence of a higher performance ICE is politically driven and will bite them in the *** in the USA. But then again, the USA may be a small market for Jaguar. Jaguar (and every other car company) needs a longer range, quicker charging, and reasonable cost EV to stay competitive if we keep downsizing ICE engines and those wishes are a long way off.

The following 2 users liked this post by mleskovar:
OzXFR (10-09-2020), Xfsman (10-10-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 11:58 PM
jya
Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

Mlescovar, I agree with you disagreeing.
You, I and many others here are performance oriented however we appear to be no longer the intended JLR market... We are not in the majority who buys this product, in fact we are likely to never buy this product ever again.

I'm probably more removed from the intended market than many. Other than its design I can’t find any excitement in an electric car. Seeing one in a in a magazine, I turn the page. I’ve had enormous pleasure in rebuilding two Triumph V8 engines. Enormous pleasure in working on the supercharged AJ-V8 engine. And that’s not to say that I don’t find the pleasure even in admiring say the PSA groups turbo 3-cylinder engine. Please, no one comment back on ICE vs a battery and electric motor.

JLR et al are not going to make new money from us, we're going to have to look elsewhere or in the Classic Jaguar range.
I will always love this brand but you can only be (new car) brand loyal to a point. For me, if it doesn't have a V8, can't travel 5,000 km (3,000 miles) without being able to refuelled everywhere and when I go to a JLR showroom there is no offer for coffee and just a terribly trained salesman with appalling customer skills informing me that Jaguar no longer have car brochures, you then have to realise that the brand is no longer targeting you..
You and some others here may be interested to know that when I walked in to my local Bentley showroom, aside of the excellent coffee and lovely nature of the sales lady (she was pushy don't worry) Bentley not only gave me a real car brochure (in fact it was more like a hardback beautifully bound book!), a Bentley kitchen chopping block and put me on the magazine mailing list they actually let me take the car home for 2 nights; a 9,000 mile near new/used Continental Flying Spur, although my kids were disappointed it wouldn’t fit through the local McDonald’s drive through though.

Bentley have since tried to get me to come and sample the new Continental GT for a few days. Shock horror the image and service this company portrays may even tempt me to buy one. Rolls Royce and even JLR need to wake up and take note of this ultra-smart marketing. Who knows, maybe now that Thierry’s running the JLR show they may even change their mind and send me some (real) marketing material in the mail or heaven forbid a (real) sales brochure of the upcoming XJ in the mail (ICE version that is).
Look I know JLR rely on volume manufacturing and are not Bentley but I have to hand it to Bentley they are an amazingly progressive company. They appear to have sold over double the units of Rolls Royce over the last year. The new Ghost may however help move the numbers along but these 2 uber premium brands know very well the extreme danger of brand damage by dropping too low in the market or limiting model choice, something the Jaguar brand is in real threat of.

Mkii250 (12-19-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 01:10 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not disappointed that the only engine is a 2.0T. I am disappointed that they haven't gotten some serious enhancement into that 2.0T. AMG has a 2.0 pushing 416hp and 369 ft-lbs. If your only block is going to be a 2.0, and last year's model had 380hp and 332 ft-lbs, the least you can do is figure out how to pump 400hp and 350 ft-lbs out of your 4-banger. I suspect that within the next year or two we'll see hybrid options show up pushing around 400 horsepower, but I'm concerned that not releasing with that option is going to hurt the model in the long run. 250-300 horsepower doesn't seem like quite enough to move 4,000 lbs of Jaguar to me.

Honestly, I'm a little disappointed that the Sportbrake is gone, though I knew it was coming. It looks like we won't see any particularly interesting estates out there for the foreseeable future.

Overall, everything about the new model looks taller and flatter. I don't know how I feel about that. It has a taller grille, taller inlets, flatter doors, flatter hood... I suspect some will like it, and some won't, as with every new model. Lack of power cuts out on the fun part of owning it, and lack of sportbrake makes it much harder for me to get my wife's wheelchair in the back... For my purposes, it's probably about a C grade.

Old 10-09-2020, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jya
..You, I and many others here are performance oriented however we appear to be no longer the intended JLR market...
Yes, dying breed of those who enjoy ICE engines sound and with torque/power. I guess we're old school Politics is shaping power plants now and the days of owners with mechanical knowledge and appreciation are long gone. Especially when simple EVs can outperform ICE powered cars if performance is your biggest criteria.

Originally Posted by alikkon
I'm not disappointed that the only engine is a 2.0T.......
I am not a fan of turbochargers no matter how many you hang off a motor. They take time to spin up and the power/torque comes on late with a rush. I also don't like the sound and balance at idle and you need to keep them in a narrow/noisy high rpm range for optimum grunt. Stressing 4 pots to meet power requirements isn't my liking.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Motorcity XF
I agree. It looks like I will be keeping my 2016....

Bobsupra (10-11-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 09:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Motorcity XF
Not surprised this seems to be a trend. MB is doing the same thing but they do offer more powerful engines. I am thinking some time down the road that their will be a more powerful engine. The R-dynamic will have a top speed of 155 mph..

Old 10-20-2020, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 355 Posts

The next XJ better be a game changer. What a challenge.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of the New XF refresh?