XF (X260) 2015 onwards

X260 XF as long distance commuter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 04:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default X260 XF as long distance commuter?

New guy here, I am considering purchasing a 2016 or newer XF as my latest long distance commuter. I have never owned a Jag, but I have experience putting down high miles with BMW and MB's. I commute about 1200 miles a week, from the mountains into Denver, CO. Since I am stuck in a car 4+ hrs a day, I appreciate something nice to sit in and enjoyable to drive. I am currently commuting with a TDI VW Jetta, my 2nd, I do not really care for it and I want an AWD car. My previous commuter was an AWD E60 BMW, which I managed to push past 300k miles. I miss the Bimmer, but want something different. I drove an R Sport yesterday, really liked it.

I am thinking about a low mileage AWD XF, preferably an R or S Sport, no diesel for me with only the 2.0l available in the US. I have researched this potential purchase quite a bit, the newer XF's seems to be solid cars, at least compared to other Euro lux cars.

I am looking for guidance from the seasoned owners on this board. Am I nuts putting 60k miles a year on an XF? Can I expect reasonable reliability? Any particular weak areas or areas requiring extra maintenance attention on these cars when you push them past 200k miles? My intention would be run this car up to 300k miles or so before I retire it.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Old 05-10-2021, 01:42 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello & Welcome!

Firstly, you deserve a medal for considering our beloved feline as an LDC... especially coming out of a Jutta.

You don't mention gas costs or mpg so I'll suggest you compare the XF with both the v6 and i4 to suit your bhp tastes.

If you pushed an x260 over just 150k, you'd have the highest mileage example in this forum, iirc.
Maybe on the planet.

JagUSA covers maintenance for oil & brake fluid up to 60k miles but post that you'd be on the financial plank without a decent indy Jag shop to rely on..

ZF8 tranny should get a fluid change every 120k and timing chains/guides then too to be safe.. AWD Diff fluid every 60k.
Oil changes are every 16k if you wanna start an oil fight on this thread.. LOL!!

Old 05-10-2021, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

60k miles in a year, good God, are you sleeping in it ! Service interval is every 20 k miles so three services a year. I'm sure the car will stand it, provided the services are done and you get an underside inspection each time. You'll probably need two changes of tyres in a year too.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts

I would go for a year old, or even new since there's still some on the lots, 6 cylinder and I bet you can get a fantastic deal on one. I don't think they sold the X260 in 4 cylinder in the US before this year. GREAT cruiser. I've had, among other cars, several Mercedes, and the Jag is superior in ride and handling. If you get a 4 pot the noise at cruising speed will be considerable unless you just poke along. Going across the desert to Arizona to visit friends I put it on cruise control at 90 mph and the noise level is low and the ride smooth but still plenty of power left to pass. For 500 miles at that speed I average about 32 mpg so it's not a gas hog considering it's performance. I've only put 20K miles on mine so far but it has all been without any problems. Best long distance cruiser I've had.

The following users liked this post:
madaws01 (05-14-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 11:23 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the X260 would do well but I'm going to just throw something out there: There's no luxo-cruiser out there that depreciates faster than a 7 series BMW. Yes, it's huge. Yes, it gets crap mileage. But, yes, it's a great ride. And you can pick them up 4 or 5 years old for sooooo cheap. Dr's don't tend to put many miles on their cars, apparently.

There's a lot more to choosing a car like this, but I'd sure consider it. If this is considered "blasphemy"? Take a breath, everyone. It's just a thought.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:26 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

G11 or G80 vintage 2018 would be fine choices.
x260 is wonderful in all situations.
2.0L x260 started selling in 2018 and in 2013 on x250.
But the 3.0L v6 is primo..

The following users liked this post:
madaws01 (05-10-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the feedback. If I decide to go with a Jag, I am sold on the supercharged V6, I liked the feel of it and want something with adequate HP and torque for the high altitude mountain roads I drive daily. I do not think I would be happy wit a 4 cyl in this large of a car. While I am sensitive to fuel economy, the 3.0 cars fit within my fuel budget.

Thought about another BMW, 5 or 7 series. IMO, BMW has gone from sporty to luxo barge, I just do not like the feel of the newer car Bimmers. I prefer a tight handling, sporty ride, that is what lead me to the Jag

I will decide in the next day or do as my VW is on it's last leg.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mountain Cat:
12306Jaguar (05-11-2021), madaws01 (05-11-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 03:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Cat
New guy here, I am considering purchasing a 2016 or newer XF as my latest long distance commuter. I have never owned a Jag, but I have experience putting down high miles with BMW and MB's. I commute about 1200 miles a week, from the mountains into Denver, CO. Since I am stuck in a car 4+ hrs a day, I appreciate something nice to sit in and enjoyable to drive. I am currently commuting with a TDI VW Jetta, my 2nd, I do not really care for it and I want an AWD car. My previous commuter was an AWD E60 BMW, which I managed to push past 300k miles. I miss the Bimmer, but want something different. I drove an R Sport yesterday, really liked it.

I am thinking about a low mileage AWD XF, preferably an R or S Sport, no diesel for me with only the 2.0l available in the US. I have researched this potential purchase quite a bit, the newer XF's seems to be solid cars, at least compared to other Euro lux cars.

I am looking for guidance from the seasoned owners on this board. Am I nuts putting 60k miles a year on an XF? Can I expect reasonable reliability? Any particular weak areas or areas requiring extra maintenance attention on these cars when you push them past 200k miles? My intention would be run this car up to 300k miles or so before I retire it.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Hey,
hope this dont find you too late.

I tried to do the same with my 18'XF.. on a every weekend trip to Los Angeles from Oakland. I did this for 2 years straight. (leave friday, drive back up sunday, about 800-1100 miles for the weekend)
And my verdict, dont use the XF.

I bought the XF new, so all miles are from me.

While it is a nice looking car, it really doesnt compete when its pushed to the edge compared to other cars, specifically foreign cars. (i dont consider jags foreign, why would they be)

The ride is not the greatest and its supposed to be new-recent gen suspension. On perfect roads you dont feel anything if your cruising, but on Highway 5/101, say hello to neck strains. *and you need to be constantly driving the XF to know what Im talking about, 30-1hr drives on the XF doesnt do justice in ride quality)

Besides the digital instrument cluster, the insides of the car really gets old quick. Doing 1200 miles a week, 4 hours in traffic, in your case may not be an XF thing to do.

I suggest getting a car with softer suspension and all wheel drive.. my 2 cents.

Old 05-12-2021, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by whyhellothere
Hey,
hope this dont find you too late.

I tried to do the same with my 18'XF.. on a every weekend trip to Los Angeles from Oakland. I did this for 2 years straight. (leave friday, drive back up sunday, about 800-1100 miles for the weekend)
And my verdict, dont use the XF.

I bought the XF new, so all miles are from me.

While it is a nice looking car, it really doesnt compete when its pushed to the edge compared to other cars, specifically foreign cars. (i dont consider jags foreign, why would they be)

The ride is not the greatest and its supposed to be new-recent gen suspension. On perfect roads you dont feel anything if your cruising, but on Highway 5/101, say hello to neck strains. *and you need to be constantly driving the XF to know what Im talking about, 30-1hr drives on the XF doesnt do justice in ride quality)

Besides the digital instrument cluster, the insides of the car really gets old quick. Doing 1200 miles a week, 4 hours in traffic, in your case may not be an XF thing to do.

I suggest getting a car with softer suspension and all wheel drive.. my 2 cents.
Thanks for sharing the experience with your XF. I have not purchased yet but plan to do so before the end on the week. AWD is a must for me, crappy winter driving where I live. I have narrowed my choice to another 5 series BMW, Lexus GS350 or the XF.

Curious if you still have your Jag, how many miles? Any issues except not being the best on long highway trips?

Old 05-13-2021, 06:27 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Having owned a gs 350 and a 2021 xf I think you’ll find them to be apples and oranges. The GS will be a great cruiser, more than comfortable, but if you’re looking for handling and a Euro type of experience you’ll be disappointed. The Lexus never gave me a lick of trouble and I just tired of, what to me, became boring. Now with the mileage you’re describing reliability surely plays a role and the Lexus will shine there.
Good luck with your decision
JTMav

Old 05-13-2021, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned 2 XF's the first was a 2013 which I put 120,000 miles on. Now I have a 2017 XFS. I was driving about 35k miles per year in my 2013 with the 3.0 and it was great. I put a water pump on at 60k and a new supercharger at 100k all on the warranty. I bought that one with about 800 miles on it as a Jag demo, so it had the 100k mile warranty. Both the 2013 and my 2017 XFS (which now has 43k. miles) are great drivers. I was able to find the 2017 with 8,000 miles at a Jag dealer so it had the 100k warranty as well. Brake rotors needed replaced at 40k, went with upgraded drilled and slotted rotors this time.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you spent 300k miles in an E60, I can't imagine an X260 could be worse in terms of maintenance. ​​​​​I had an E61 manual 535IX and it 8 my wallet before 100k miles.
I now have an '18 X260 Sportbrake and it's a much more engaging car. The Jag rides firmer than the bimmer, but is more sharp handling. Jag infotainment is much easier than iDrive and the supercharged 3.0 is much stronger, though not as silky as the BMW turbo 3.0.
I, obviously, endorse the move.
Good luck
Jared

Old 05-13-2021, 10:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a 2016 XFS AWD with almost 61k miles with the adaptive dynamics. I don't have a long daily commute but I have driven the car from here in Wisconsin down to Gulf shores, Alabama (1,039 miles one way) and I absolutely loved it!!! Wifey and I had no complaints on seat comfort or the ride. I found the ride to be very comfortable. My advice would be to keep the car in normal mode for softer ride.

In my opinion this bad boy shines when you can put it in cruise control at 80mph to 90 mph (I was sleep and wifey was pushing 100) and let me tell you I could not tell that my wife was doing 100mph, that's just how smooth the car was as it adjusts the suspension to your driving style and road conditions

Last edited by Xfsman; 05-13-2021 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Cat
Thanks for sharing the experience with your XF. I have not purchased yet but plan to do so before the end on the week. AWD is a must for me, crappy winter driving where I live. I have narrowed my choice to another 5 series BMW, Lexus GS350 or the XF.

Curious if you still have your Jag, how many miles? Any issues except not being the best on long highway trips?
Im now at 63k

My waterpump went out - 34k (warranty work, they blamed the issue on the Y pipe, common for XF's as its plastic, I believe 2019+ is metal Y pipes)
My Infotainment system went out - 40k (warranty work) (try to get the PRO)
Heads up display went out - 21k (warranty work)

Highway wise- 400-450 miles i was able to get up to 50k of owning the car, now only on highway, i average 350-400.

I also find that the engine makes too much noise, but thats cause of the low maintenance engine cover.
The seats are not the best, unless you get the S model.

To me, besides the long trips, this is perfect for city-use, very practical

Get Extended warranty on this!

Old 05-15-2021, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

We drove our '09 XF on a couple of 3-400 mile road trips, and were very satisfied with it's ride and handling. One thing that concerned me, however, is that if you do experience any mechanical issues, while on the road, Jaguar dealers are NOT in every town across the country. My trips were to central New Jersey, to visit family, and once I hit the road, there were NO dealers between my and my home town. So if I broke down, and needed "Jaguar exclusive" service, depending on where I was, it was either get towed home, where there's a dealer, or toted to my home town, where there's a dealer.............just something that I think about as I get older.

Old 05-16-2021, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by whyhellothere
.....I also find that the engine makes too much noise......!
Do you realize there's a rubber tube leading from the motor to the firewall and through a diaphragm under the dash to enhance the motor noise in the cabin? Yup, sounds silly but true. I plugged mine (no tools needed) and it seriously reduced the motor noise level.

Old 05-16-2021, 01:33 PM

All of the input is much appreciated, thank you!

I have driven a couple of XF's, a GS350 and a couple of F10 (5 series) BMW's, all AWD. The Lexus is out, too tame and boring for me. I like the 535d a lot, I would need to loose the emissions stuff and tune it, it would make more HP and torque (~380 HP and 630TQ) than an 3.0 XFR and get 40 mpg. But I think I prefer the sportiness and uniqueness of the XF over the softer BMW. I would also need to throw $2k or so at the BMW for exhaust and tune.

Tomorrow, I will try and buy the XFR I have had an eye on. I will post here with the outcome.

Old 05-16-2021, 03:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

funny you say that. Im currently strongly considering a sport brake. the other car on my list is an A4 all road. But my argument against the audi is that ill need to spend money on a drop and a little more power lol

Old 05-16-2021, 07:45 PM

Could you post a picture of that tube under the dash and how did you plug it in to reduce the noise? Does the sound change with mode selection like Standard or Dyanmic?

Old 05-16-2021, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
Do you realize there's a rubber tube leading from the motor to the firewall and through a diaphragm under the dash to enhance the motor noise in the cabin? Yup, sounds silly but true. I plugged mine (no tools needed) and it seriously reduced the motor noise level.
Could you post a picture of that tube under the dash and how did you plug it in to reduce the noise? Does the sound change with mode selection like Standard or Dyanmic?

Quick Reply: X260 XF as long distance commuter?