XF (X260) 2015 onwards

XF Coolant leak around supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 10:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XF Coolant leak around supercharger

Looking for some help and guidance on this one. My wife's 2017 XF (64K miles) was leaking coolant the other day. Dropped it at a shop in Houston and they diagnosed faulty water pump and gasket around oil cooler. I okayed repairs ($738 US) and he just called me to tell me they repaired and then test drove and now seeing coolant leaking from under supercharger. Says he can't fix it, will need to go to Jag and he thinks I'm looking at $$thousands. Has anyone dealt with anything like this? Any thoughts/advice/prayers?

The following users liked this post:
Sabrinaservicewriter (03-14-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 04:30 PM
Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Dealer charged around $1800 to replace the cracked pipe under the SC ok my 2015 3.0
Then he claimed the plastic cowl between the windshield and engine was cracked, another $800 for that part.
I wish I would have had them replace everything under the SC, feels like a ticking time bomb.

Old 03-04-2022, 05:29 AM
Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

Hi I'm from Houston as well. Have been to Champions Jaguar Service? The shop is in the area Willowbrook Mall off SH 249 (Tomball Pkwy). There are some good recommendations I read from the members of F-Type forum regarding that indy shop.

Old 03-04-2022, 08:32 AM

Yes, ironically, I’ve used Mike for years for my XJS and S-Type prior to that. Just used this other shop because that’s where my wife pulled in when warning light came on. However, after I posted yesterday, I called Mike and he told me about the pipes and hoses under the SC and said he does about 2 of these a week. Major design flaw of course. So the car is now at Champions Jag and I’m probably looking at $1500 to replace those little pipes/hoses (unless something other catastrophic happened) He says there are two pipes that almost always fail. I spoke to him yesterday evening after the car was towed to him and he said that at first glance it looks like it’s coming from the forward pipe, not the rear pipe. Regardless, I’m getting both replaced as he says the other will eventually fail. On the bright side, he says he would have also had to replace the water pump but that was done the other day so he’ll deduct the cost of the pump. I’m concerned about this XF. I do a lot of my own work on my XJS but I open the hood on this thing and I have no clue. I’m concerned that I’ve bought a money pit.

Last edited by XJSHouston; 03-04-2022 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-04-2022, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by XJSHouston
Looking for some help and guidance on this one. My wife's 2017 XF (64K miles) was leaking coolant the other day. Dropped it at a shop in Houston and they diagnosed faulty water pump and gasket around oil cooler. I okayed repairs ($738 US) and he just called me to tell me they repaired and then test drove and now seeing coolant leaking from under supercharger. Says he can't fix it, will need to go to Jag and he thinks I'm looking at $$thousands. Has anyone dealt with anything like this? Any thoughts/advice/prayers?
Not common but a problem with the plastic piping that caries coolant beneath the supercharger between the front and back of the engine. Requires SC removal to fix with supposedly upgraded plastic pieces. What was your build date (on sticker between front and back doors down at the bottom of the pillar that separates them)? Not the first time I've read where someone paid for a water pump to "fix" the leak only to find out it was in the connecting piping. I'd ask for some recourse on that $738 bill.

Old 03-04-2022, 01:05 PM

Don’t have the build date handy. Car is at the shop. I agree, I’m a little miffed about the knee jerk water pump replacement but couldn’t argue at the time. The Jag specialty shop I had it towed to yesterday, though, is very knowledgeable and trustworthy and he indicated that it’s a usual fix in this situation. Not much I can do at this point.

Last edited by XJSHouston; 03-04-2022 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:53 AM
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Looking for some help and guidance on this one. My wife's 2017 XF (64K miles) was leaking coolant the other day. Dropped it at a shop in Houston and they diagnosed faulty water pump and gasket around oil cooler. I okayed repairs ($738 US) and he just called me to tell me they repaired and then test drove and now seeing coolant leaking from under Kodi nox supercharger. Says he can't fix it, will need to go to Jag and he thinks I'm looking at $$thousands. Has anyone dealt with anything like this? Any thoughts/advice/prayers?
you have the option to go to the dealer and that will cost you much

Old 03-14-2022, 02:21 PM
Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

XJSHouston we replace water pumps and intake manifold gaskets every week on the 3 and 5L Jaguars. Unfortunately the cooling system is the big issue with these cars that we see. We would have recommended replacing all of the plastics, intake gaskets, coolant pipes etc. As a service writer, I always recommend replacing all of these cooling system components to save our customers cost in labor down the road. It sounds like your mechanic fixed what was obviously leaking but may not realize all the plastic pieces are the same age and most likely look the same as the few hoses that are replaced when replacing the water pump.
If you have a parts list I would be happy to take a look at it and let you know if there are any other parts that we always replace to prevent our customers from having to come back once repairs are done. I have set "kits" for these repairs and it would be my pleasure to share if you're interested. Good luck!

DeviLSh (04-15-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, had this same issue and had to replace the thermostat (and other stuff not even sure), I believe. It was almost 5k. Just make sure no other warning/service lights are on. My brake lights were on and when I picked up the car my brakes were grinding, metal on metal. It DID NOT sound like that before dropping it off, but of course they told me well, you need new brakes. No sh*t Sherlock! Be careful if anything else is wrong with your car because they will make sure to make it worse and you will then be forced to take it back to fix something else. Same thing happened when I had it serviced last year. Brought it in and everything worked fine. When I got it back the AC was no longer blowing cold air. In the summer no less. So now, I'm thinking about just taking it to a mechanic that is well versed in repairing Jaguars.

Old 06-28-2024, 05:37 PM
Default Sabrina

Originally Posted by Sabrinaservicewriter
XJSHouston we replace water pumps and intake manifold gaskets every week on the 3 and 5L Jaguars. Unfortunately the cooling system is the big issue with these cars that we see. We would have recommended replacing all of the plastics, intake gaskets, coolant pipes etc. As a service writer, I always recommend replacing all of these cooling system components to save our customers cost in labor down the road. It sounds like your mechanic fixed what was obviously leaking but may not realize all the plastic pieces are the same age and most likely look the same as the few hoses that are replaced when replacing the water pump.
If you have a parts list I would be happy to take a look at it and let you know if there are any other parts that we always replace to prevent our customers from having to come back once repairs are done. I have set "kits" for these repairs and it would be my pleasure to share if you're interested. Good luck!
Hey Sabrina bought a Jaguar with some issues I live in south florida could help me ? giving some advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-28-2024, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 311 Posts

You can do it yourself watch this video by Dennis

Old 06-29-2024, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,346 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Please do some basic searches as we now have a good number of Aluminum cooling parts to replace the failure prone Jaguar plastic stuff.

I recommend getting one of these kits that collects a lot of these parts together. You sure don't want to go back in and repair/replace stuff again and again.
I like and use EuroAMP. They have a large selection of parts for our cars.
Take a look and decide how far you want to go? I just did the metal rear water manifold replacement and used the VAP Symposer block off plate as well.
EuroAMP Parts Listing

Old 07-03-2024, 10:02 AM
Default Jaguar 2017 xf premium

The jaguar it is a 2017 xf premium I bought on auction … it has some rupture on the coolant line which I’m replacing but the main issue I would say it is probably that when i press the start button one time it seems that everything it is okay, but when I press the brake and then I press the start button it doesn’t start it actually just turn off right after. So there is a problem that I can not find. I am to turn on the car directly to a relay in the engine rear fuse box I was able to drive the car around the block but I had to stop because of the leakage of the coolant which I will be replacing the bad part today but how can I fix the turning on??? Do you have any ideas ?? Sorry to bother you but I need help with this issue…. Thanks