XF (X260) 2015 onwards

XF S resonators replaced/removed

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XF S resonators replaced/removed

Specificay I have a 2018 XF 3.0l supercharged.
Has anyone had any experience in sound quality/gain with :
1) completely removing the two midbody resonators
Or2) replacing the two resonators with x piping
if there are any other ways to get a nice grumble out of the car with being obnoxious Info would be much appreciated.
​​​​​​

Old 09-03-2021, 09:13 AM
Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

I refer you to this thread below. I recommend you remove just the center resonator, results with both resonators removed were terrible. If you have a v6, x-pipe has no benefit in most situations, and can increase drone. It will help in a V8, where there are some higher exhaust pressures and firing order differences to actually compensate for.... I have the same engine as you, loved that the center resonator delete was virtually silent at idle, but open her up under an overpass with the windows open and you will hear why you wake ALL the bums sleeping under there. Sounds much better, IMHO.

Oh, and get the 450HP Velocity AP Pulley/tune for your engine, worth every penny. I'm a happy customer! :-)

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-penny-194080/

Last edited by Austin7; 09-03-2021 at 10:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Austin7:
Jazztubaplayer (09-03-2021), Panthro (06-17-2024)
Old 09-03-2021, 11:17 AM

Considering a resonator delete as well on my Sportbrake. Has anyone gotten feedback from a dealer or other source as to whether or not this will somehow void warranty?

Old 09-04-2021, 12:51 AM

Short answer...no, removing the resonator will not void your car warranty in the USA. If the pipes come dislodged, then they may point to the modification as point of failure and may fail to warranty your exhaust, but the rest of your car's warranty remains intact. Very low chance of this even being brought up by a dealer.

Last edited by Austin7; 09-04-2021 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:51 AM
Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

To both @Jazztubaplayer and @ryanr317

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0/#post2409351

No dealer comments from this mod to date (two visits since doing it). Would be hard to claim a res delete damages anything seeing as various other cars in their lineup (Ftype) have a similar setup.

The following 2 users liked this post by DeviLSh:
Chadly (02-23-2023), Panthro (06-17-2024)
Old 09-14-2021, 03:04 PM

I had the center pair of resonators removed and I love love love the sound.
Its exactly like you said, silent idle and cruising but put the foot down and its definitely a nicer sound.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jazztubaplayer
I had the center pair of resonators removed and I love love love the sound.
Its exactly like you said, silent idle and cruising but put the foot down and its definitely a nicer sound.
Glad it worked for you too! For fun ....open your sunroof, and gun it hard as you pull under an overpass. Or in a lower level of a parking garage. Great sounds! :-)

Old 09-22-2021, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Austin7
Glad it worked for you too! For fun ....open your sunroof, and gun it hard as you pull under an overpass. Or in a lower level of a parking garage. Great sounds! :-)
Does the resonator delete add drone to the cabin with all windows closed?

Old 09-22-2021, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by 11earl
Does the resonator delete add drone to the cabin with all windows closed?
No drone at all. Infact it only a slight increase in sound when windows rolled up. Cruising there's honestly no difference, to my ears anyway.
Open it up with windows down or sunroof down and it's a symphony(ok maybe overstating but I love it).

Old 09-22-2021, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jazztubaplayer
No drone at all. Infact it only a slight increase in sound when windows rolled up. Cruising there's honestly no difference, to my ears anyway.
Open it up with windows down or sunroof down and it's a symphony(ok maybe overstating but I love it).
OK, very helpful - thank you.

Old 02-23-2023, 01:41 PM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

@DeviLSh
I know I'm reviving this thread, but I saw your videos on youtube and want to do the same thing but I have a question, does the below picture show what you removed (when you said resonator(s))? Its called the intermediate muffler, but has a small muffler and what looks like to resonators. #2 in the bottom pic... Just want mine to sound like yours lol

Thanks for the help!

Old 02-23-2023, 02:55 PM
Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

In the part labeled #2 in the diagram above, called the "intermediate pipe" from Jaguar. This pipe contains a muffler, and a pair of resonators.

I removed the pair of resonators downstream of the single muffler that joins the two banks.

Old 02-23-2023, 05:15 PM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DeviLSh
In the part labeled #2 in the diagram above, called the "intermediate pipe" from Jaguar. This pipe contains a muffler, and a pair of resonators.

I removed the pair of resonators downstream of the single muffler that joins the two banks.
Thanks brother, appreciate the info! Im thinking I'll remove that muffler too... haven't decided yet

Old 05-28-2024, 06:11 PM

Hey all, sorry to resurrect an old thread but you all have the knowledge I seek. I have an XF Sportbrake and one of the biggest gripes I have is how agricultural the engine sounds (when it's the same engine that in the F-type was called "the best sounding V6 ever). I'm looking at doing a resonator delete, but I was wondering if that's enough if my primary concern is how good it sounds inside the car. I don't really care if it sounds better from the outside: I want to be thrilled by the engine when I'm driving. Does the resonator delete bring the rasp and howl inside the cabin up to levels that make the engine sound more like a performance motor and less like a vacuum cleaner from the drivers seat with the windows up? Or would I need to go for something like the Quicksilver exhaust to get that?

Old 05-29-2024, 12:48 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Simply put: silencer decreases the loudness and resonator changes the tone (traps the high frequency sound waves).
From what I read 90 degrees V6 is a hard configuration to make a nice sound due to the firing order. If the rasp is what you seek then deleting the resonators should be fine.

I personally plan to convert the factory middle silencer into a resonator. Hoping to get a little more loudness and bringing the tone closer to a inline 6.

To ruffle some feathers, every thing now has rasp, pops and bangs and just doesn't suit a Jag. Especially a saloon or estate

Old 05-29-2024, 10:54 AM

Ok, mines is an XE AJ126 but is basically the same as your XF AJ126. I removed the center resonator and I was happy with more exhaust sound inside and out. As it was an inexpensive fix, it was a no-brainer. If I were you I'd start there, and see how you like it. A year later I had the velocityap 200 Cell downpipes installed, and now I have to be careful not to rev too much pulling out of the driveway. Under 2500 Rpm it purrs, but under acceleration it roars! I like it a lot, the wife only frowned a little. Finally, if you have not already, remove your engine cover. It is literally muffling the sound of the supercharger and engine that you hear in the cab.

The following 2 users liked this post by Austin7:
jswan2 (05-29-2024), Panthro (06-17-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pepix
Simply put: silencer decreases the loudness and resonator changes the tone (traps the high frequency sound waves).
From what I read 90 degrees V6 is a hard configuration to make a nice sound due to the firing order. If the rasp is what you seek then deleting the resonators should be fine.

I personally plan to convert the factory middle silencer into a resonator. Hoping to get a little more loudness and bringing the tone closer to a inline 6.

To ruffle some feathers, every thing now has rasp, pops and bangs and just doesn't suit a Jag. Especially a saloon or estate
To ruffle your feathers right back, a "proper" Jag has always been a brute in a suit, not a true gentleman. So has the idealized Jag driver . It's why you don't own a "Jaguar," you own a "Jaaaaag." In recent times the Germans have normalized shouty engines, so to remain the "brute in a suit" alternative Jag needed to get even more shouty. They read the noise memo when they made the F-type, but missed it when making the XF which is part of why the XF never stood a real chance against the 5 series and E classes of the world even though it's a better car to drive.

Old 05-29-2024, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Austin7
Ok, mines is an XE AJ126 but is basically the same as your XF AJ126. I removed the center resonator and I was happy with more exhaust sound inside and out. As it was an inexpensive fix, it was a no-brainer. If I were you I'd start there, and see how you like it. A year later I had the velocityap 200 Cell downpipes installed, and now I have to be careful not to rev too much pulling out of the driveway. Under 2500 Rpm it purrs, but under acceleration it roars! I like it a lot, the wife only frowned a little. Finally, if you have not already, remove your engine cover. It is literally muffling the sound of the supercharger and engine that you hear in the cab.
do you have any heat issues with the engine cover removed? Any concerns about the paint on the hood?

Old 05-29-2024, 03:38 PM

None whatsoever. For instance the 600Hp Project 8 does not have any engine cover from the factory. The cover is there to keep the engine quiet, but it also holds heat. Makes a good wall hanger in the garage IMHO. I've put 50K miles between two tuned Jaguar XE's, some in the heat of 105 Degree Texas Summers, never had a problem with the hood getting too hot. The first thing I did was remove that excess baggage.

Last edited by Austin7; 05-29-2024 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-31-2024, 01:44 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jswan2
Jag has always been a brute in a suit, not a true gentleman
Exactly, and a true enforcer is never too loud yet he is effective in stating a opinion like "Barry the Baptist"

This is so far my benchmark for a good sounding AJ126

Last edited by Pepix; 05-31-2024 at 01:46 AM.

Quick Reply: XF S resonators replaced/removed