XF (X260) 2015 onwards

XF S resonators replaced/removed

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2024, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did it on my XF S, impressions:

First off, it was easy and cheap as suggested by members here. I paid $350 in a pretty expensive area and it was done in two hours without an appointment. Now for my impressions from the driver's seat after driving home and taking the car out on one of my favorite local roads:
  • no noticeable performance gain. That's to be expected.
  • On the highway and at low RPMs, no audible difference
  • At higher rpms under low load, there's progressively more growl and rasp. It's first (barely) noticeable over 3K and grows from there.
  • Under load, there's a pleasant honk that wasn't there before.
  • The supercharger whine and engine noise used to mush together. The tone of the engine is altered and brought forward just enough for the two noises to sound distinct.
At best, the volume is maybe 10% louder. Not much difference. But the tone is definitely changed for the better. It's sharper and more aggressive. It speaks with the same voice, but instead of mumbling it speaks with confidence and clarity. A layer of "chill out" has been pulled back, revealing more of the F-type character the drivetrain has.

I have no idea why Jaguar thought they should ship these cars with the resonators. Why would they think people wanted an engine that sounded like you were bothering it by asking it to rev? It's just better without the resonators. Nothing is worse now that they're removed, and what used to be a real "meh" aspect of the car is improved to "nice."

Anyways, great success. Highly recommended.

Old 06-22-2024, 10:43 PM
Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

Glad to hear you liked the resonator delete. I had mine at that level for a couple years, no drone disadvantage as far as I could tell, and it was very pleasing to me. A few months ago I added the 200 cell downpipes and VAP ported the Supercharger for me. I'm now loud starting around 2000 RPMs and progressively gets up to very loud with RPMs above 4K. I love it! I can still creep through parking lots at low volume. But now I'll deliberately pick a route that takes me under a bridge and romp it with the sunroof back, what a sound! I like it very much. Anyway, congrats on your decision and result!

The following users liked this post:
jswan2 (06-22-2024)