XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Light next to Xenon lights FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light next to Xenon lights FAQ

What light bulb is that right next to Xenon lights. is that the fog lights? its like right next to the grill and by the shining thing.
One of light bulb went out and trying to get a size so I can buy it online. Any info is much appreciated.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

If that is the Euro headlight "city" light then frequently there is only one on the one side, driver's side usually. I am not sure what it is for. My Audi S4 with aftermarket xenons has one one in each headlight and when the "park lights" are selected the main beams go out and these "city lights" are illuminated. We don't need them in North America.

Does the handbook not list the light bulbs? If you pull the blown bulb the spec will be printed on the base somewhere. 5 watt is usual.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:04 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinsuk
What light bulb is that right next to Xenon lights. is that the fog lights? its like right next to the grill and by the shining thing.
One of light bulb went out and trying to get a size so I can buy it online. Any info is much appreciated.
I think it's the flash to pass light. Test that hypothesis by having someone pull the high beam flash lever while you stand outside the front of the car. As for size, can't you just remove it to figure that out?

Old 06-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

If the light you are talking about is one in each headlamp, it is probably the "static bending lamps" as they call it. If your headlamps are on and you begin a turn, left for instance, the LH lamp will light to add some light to the side in the direction you are turning. Sort of like the old "cornering lamps" that were big on luxury cars 30-40 years ago. These don't come on with turn signals, they come on when the steering wheel is turned.

Cheers,

Old 06-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

Nope, neither of these. The flash function flashes the high (main) beams, always.

Cornering lights actually move the headlights on Euro cars.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by jagular
Nope, neither of these. The flash function flashes the high (main) beams, always.

Cornering lights actually move the headlights on Euro cars.
You're right on the flash, wrong on the cornering. Here's some info that covers the lighting lighting systems. The one even explains some non-North American functions.

Cheers,

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Static Bending Lamps.pdf (162.7 KB, 1443 views)
XF Lighting.pdf (429.5 KB, 1340 views)
The following users liked this post:
jagular (06-25-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for posting those tech papers. I'm out of town so can't check this myself, but I'm now curious. So U.S. XFRs have static bending or adaptive headlights? Either is a very cool feature I didn't know about.

(I did figure out that there are headlight washers, though! They seem to spray every few times you activate the windshield washers.)

The xenons are used (when otherwise off) to flash to pass, not the inboard halogen high beams? I thought xenon warm-up times were too long to do that and that flicking them on/off was hard on the lamps.

I'll have to check this out when I get home!

Old 06-25-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Need4Spd
Thanks for posting those tech papers. I'm out of town so can't check this myself, but I'm now curious. So U.S. XFRs have static bending or adaptive headlights? Either is a very cool feature I didn't know about.

(I did figure out that there are headlight washers, though! They seem to spray every few times you activate the windshield washers.)

The xenons are used (when otherwise off) to flash to pass, not the inboard halogen high beams? I thought xenon warm-up times were too long to do that and that flicking them on/off was hard on the lamps.

I'll have to check this out when I get home!
Well for you and others that want to dig further into the lighting operation of the XF, attached is a more in-depth description. It describes the difference between cornering lamps and static bending lamps.

Now I've noticed that both sections are noted that North American cars DO NOT have them. I KNOW that is not true. I will pursue that with Jaguar next week and report.

Lighting ain't simple like it used to be!

Cheers

Attached Files
XF Lighting in Detail.pdf (884.9 KB, 1257 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
jagular (06-25-2011), Need4Spd (06-25-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member

Great info on lighting. There's another thread with useful info about US standards v Euro, halogens v Xenons and "coloured" blue bulbs.

My halogens have headlight washers (standard fitment for Canadian cars, we also got the nifty heated steering wheel and windshield as part of the "winter" package fitted to all 09 XF in Canada). The headlight washers activate the first time you wash the windshield after the headlights are first switched on and then every 5th (? not sure of the exact number) time you select the "wash the windshield" while the headlights are still on. If the headlights go off in between these 5 washes then the intervals begin again after the headlights go on again. If you feel you need to wash the headlights more often simply switch the headlights off and on and the cycle starts fro "1" again.

My halogen low beams look exactly like Xenons from the outside but I was told they were just halogens. They are much more effective than "ordinary" halogens and look like "projector" lamps.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Thanks for these files, I will add these to the FAQs so that this mystery will quench

The following users liked this post:
xjrguy (06-26-2011)