XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

09 Non SC to SC engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 01:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 09 Non SC to SC engine swap

OK
Before you give me the blues, I already know. I feel bad already. .
So I ruined my motor in my 09 Premium. I'm going to try to change out the crankshaft bearing for now. But long term I want to pull the non 4.2 SC and replace it with a 2010 5.0 SC.
Way easier than trying to mod the non SC.
Is this possible? Will the existing motor mounts, onboard comp, tranny and radiator match up?

Old 08-08-2016, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

might as well try stuffing an elephant into a fleas ***.

The following users liked this post:
MarkN (08-20-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by 2MSTONE
OK
So I ruined my motor in my 09 Premium. I'm going to try to change out the crankshaft bearing for now. But long term I want to pull the non 4.2 SC and replace it with a 2010 5.0 SC.
Is this possible? Will the existing motor mounts, onboard comp, tranny and radiator match up?
Better served getting the old one running and send it on its way, then buying what you want. Almost never do these engine transplants go smoothly or cost anywhere near what you budget.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:09 AM

Ughhh
Did I say it was paid for?
Oh well. I'll park it and Sunday drive it till I save up GTR money.
Still interested to hear if it's been done.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

I've been on the forums for bit and I haven't seen a post about anyone swapping to a different motor.

It might be easier to get the 09 SC engine vs the 5L SC in there. Either way, you'd need to tune the car. You'd want to track down a company that can tune the car and ask them about it. If they can drop a tune in there that can control the 5L SC then you should be good to go. At that point you'd need to start figuring out what other differences there are between the NA 4.2L XF and the 5L SC XF. Look into items such as: radiator, oil coolers, fuel pump, rear diff, front/rear axles, exhaust, driveshaft, transmission, etc. You might need to find a a junkyard that has a wrecked 5L SC that you can pick apart.

I agree with the others above. It will likely be cheaper to fix your stock motor, sell it, and buy a 5L SC XF. Junkyards want a lot for Jaguar parts and the cars aren't holding their value.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 08-09-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:12 AM

IJS
Initially I was jus considering putting an 4.2 SC in, but since I was gonna replace the NA 4.2 anyway I might as well go for the 5 SC .
This is my 4th Jag and my 2nd love. My 1st love was a 1985 XJ. Car sat so low and was solid (not a spot on her or under her) . Then I ran over a raised manhole and ripped the rear end out. I put her back together then, and ran those dam exhaust pipes through the freaking new subframe for 8 hours DAMMIT! So i know a lil bit about elephants in flea assess. Thank you very much, Cherry.
I've loved Jag ever since I was a kid and though they had a bad rep then something about the CATS jus called to me.
Sorry guys Cherry 's comment pissed me off.
The difference in price between the HP is ridiculous. I didn't have the extra 30K when I bought the 09 XF Prem, so I got the most I could, thinking I could get some info on the ratios and make some mods for 10-15K to get me close.
WRONG
Mustangs, Beamers, and Benz got all kinda aftermarket parts and informative sites out there.
But you guys here kill me
You got people on here saying "The engineers at Jag know what they're doing and that the cars aren't meant to be modified"
WTH (country accent and all)
Day 1 I ripped that exhaust off the XF for a Varance, and looked around for help for the rest of stage 1 and got crickets.
After a year I finally found a guy that acted like he could tune my car till I told him it was a new Jag and then he vanished.
Arghhhhh
Are there any gear heads on this site.
I've seen everything from purple doily seat covers to orange latex body skins but never any real muscle here.
C'mon y'all. They're monsters in sheep's clothing.
And had a not been working so freaking much I would've changed the freaking oil and ate that CLK for lunch

Old 08-10-2016, 12:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Some swaps are fairly easy. Some are not viable. With all the things you'd need to change I put yours in the latter category but it's your time and money...

Old 08-10-2016, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

Do it then. Be a "real gearhead" and tell us how it's done. Be a trailblazer! And let us know how much time your car was down and how much it actually costs you for parts. And whether you actually ever get it done.

And for true bragging rights give us the value of your current 09 and an equivalent 10 SC. If you can get it done in a reasonable timeframe and for less than the price difference, I'll eat crow, the elephant and the flea's ***.

My car makes 520hp at the wheel. When yours does, let me know about mods and what is reasonable. If you want to know how I did it, search my posts. It's all here...

Last edited by 2010 Kyanite XFR; 08-10-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:14 PM

Hold up, partna. You're talking used. I was talking new. Used vs New isn't much difference now. But then. ..
And I'm not bout to give up 7 years for a car now when this one is paid.
4K for a used 5 L engine vs 10k for the whole car is a no brainer
It's cool. Jus wanted to know my options if I went that route.
Not enough info on the Web to help me with the transfer and wasnt enough to help me up the HP once I bought her.
I went back and forth early on whether to get an XJ or XF. Don't like the back end on the XJ and not enough for the XF SC (no 5L then).
It's cool. I'll make it into a Sunday looker along with the rest of the pansies and slump along down the road to work in a bucket till i get to the next.
BTW nice car. ..

Last edited by 2MSTONE; 08-11-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

I wasn't really upset, but the way you addressed the forum as unhelpful hit a nerve. We are trying to help you! I was trying to make the point that you're much better off trading cars than trying to make it something it wasn't ever meant to be.

My advice is get the 4.2 put back together. Determine how much it would be to upgrade. If it's too much maybe add a 75 shot of Nitrous for more power?

And I get the "paid for" aspect, but if you invest money into a car poorly, you end up not having what you want and you don't have the money to upgrade then. And you probably have a car that no longer runs (or runs right) and no one will buy it that way either. So in a quest to get better you end up with nothing. And what follows that is typically a much higher car payment than if you just bit the bullet initially to buy what you want.

Good luck with getting it back on the road soon. BTW, what happened to the original 4.2 that it needs to be replaced?

Old 08-12-2016, 02:50 AM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 2MSTONE
OK
The best way for you is find 4.2SC engine, additional electrical water pump, 4.2SC engine bay wiring. The fuel pump in tank the same.
Why I'm voting for 4.2SC and not for 5.0SC it because the 4.2SC could get more improvements than 5.0SC before its ruined.
If you still wants to install 5.0SC you should realize that you need find someone who could programmed the ECU from 5.0 to yours pre facelift X250 and program gearbox.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:57 AM

Got it
Fix it for now. Replace it with same year & size SC later.
Dam, had to get under yalls skin to get at it.
Thanks for all the feedback. ('cept Cherry)
I ran it low on oil for too long (no light)
When I banked, the little oil that was in it went way low. (all the dash lights)
Limped home, added oil, and presto - instant slop - TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP

Last edited by 2MSTONE; 08-12-2016 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Ouch!

Old 08-19-2016, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Well the way I see it, If you go from 4.2 to 5.0 sc you'll have to do ECM, Engine and Trans to have any hope of getting it to work, then you'd need someone to recode the ECM (Engine Control Module) to force a bunch of signals out just to get it to run, then you'd still need to have 4.2 ECM drivers to make things like your dash work. Your are talking BIG $$$$ here because unlike most say US engine swaps that share the same basic mechanical and electrical architecture, the 4.2 and 5.0 sc really share nothing, so you'd have to engineer and build it from scratch.

This LS1 to LS6 swap only required an oil pan swap and tune as the ECM was the same. No such luck with your Jag swap.

BTDT Gear head right here Sir.

Went fro 305 crank hp to 428 wheel hp. She was a wild rid fo sho.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 08-19-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:47 AM

That's more like it. See I had to call y'all out to get at what I wanted. I don't want to buy the freaking wrong engine ie the one that's gonna cost me twice as much to modify.
Thanks, men on jags.
Who puts purple doilies on a jag?

The following users liked this post:
MarkN (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Well the way I see it, If you go from 4.2 to 5.0 sc you'll have to do ECM, Engine and Trans to have any hope of getting it to work, then you'd need someone to recode the ECM (Engine Control Module) to force a bunch of signals out just to get it to run, then you'd still need to have 4.2 ECM drivers to make things like your dash work. Your are talking BIG $$$$ here because unlike most say US engine swaps that share the same basic mechanical and electrical architecture, the 4.2 and 5.0 sc really share nothing, so you'd have to engineer and build it from scratch.

This LS1 to LS6 swap only required an oil pan swap and tune as the ECM was the same. No such luck with your Jag swap.

BTDT Gear head right here Sir.

Went fro 305 crank hp to 428 wheel hp. She was a wild rid fo sho.
That garages current resident..LOL

Old 08-20-2016, 03:41 PM
Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Just buy a used XFR. They're cheap these days!!! That's what I did