XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

'10 XF car won't start. Help me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '10 XF car won't start. Help me?

Hello I have a 2010 XF and just got the battery changed from Pep boys. Something you should know up front, when I called they said they didn't have the right battery. When I went in, they magically appeared and "probably" the right ones. a month or two later (today), the car wont even work at all. I clicked the unlock, lock, and alarm keys and none of them seems to function. So i opened the car manually using that little key on the inside FOB. Then when i got in the car, no lights, no electricity flow at all. I read all these online forums about it and here are few things I learned.
1. drainage somewhere
2. something about amps not being right
3. bad starter
4. bad battery.

Can anyone help me on what might be the issue? I haven't tried to jump it yet because there aint anyone with cables. But could you tell me both answers as if it was both jumped and worked and jumped and didn't work? on why it wont start?

thank you!

Old 01-15-2015, 02:12 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

In future do not use Pep boys they do not know how to deal with European cars. I had them do brake pad changes and they totally screwed it up. But having said that it is easy the battery you have installed by Pepboys is gauaranteed so yo ucan take it backand get a new one. I assume you can get a jump.

Anyway here is a video on what they recommend you do when replacing an XF battery:

If it is dead it is common problems are car light being on when it should be off - the boot lamp being the worst since you do not see it . Or the battery charging system is not working correctly to top it up when it is stressed the most - usually when you start the engine in the cold mo rning....you draw the most amount of power from the battery.

I would check the battery they installed first. The OEM 12v battery is rated at 90AMPS and CCA(Cold Cranking AMPS) rating of 820. Check the battery they installed meets the CCA. Alos Pepboys will replace that battery if it faulty.

I notice that my 2010 (with the original battery) is flaky at times especially if if I do a lot of short runs, my battery gets beat up and does not
recharge. I know I need to replace it shortly. One really morning I left the trunk and doors open for about 5 minutes with the engine off. I drained it badly so I could not crank the engine. I jumped in another car and later in the day came back and got it to turn over (temp warmed up so easier to turn the engine over).

Last edited by bollocsk187; 01-15-2015 at 03:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
acxzxca (01-15-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

There is almost NO, ZERO, NONE, NADA chance that the part number of the battery is your problem after a few months, assuming they put in one of similar physical size. It might be that you have a bad battery due to premature failure, you might have a charging system problem, you might have bad connections on the battery cables, or bad connections elsewhere in the power circuit, or you may have a drain from something not shutting down after you shut the car off. Parasitic drain is usually from some electrical thing added to the car, like amps, security, cameras and so on. It is possible that the battery monitor described in the vidoe could prevent correct charging if not reset, but I am pretty sure that would light up the dash. Did you get any sort of indicators on the dash during the drive before the battery failure?

By the way, the better description for you problem is "Car won't crank". Starting refers to the engine firing and running after being cranked over.

A smaller battery than recommended may not have the reserve to crank the car after running the lights for an hour with the engine off, it might not last for as many years, and it might even crank the car over slowly, but it will not go completely dead over a few nights while sitting in the driveway a few months after installing the battery.

Last edited by sparkenzap; 01-15-2015 at 06:12 AM.