XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

'12 trivia/questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default '12 trivia/questions

Just traded my '09XF (35K miles) for a '12 portfolio. The car is similar in lots of ways, better in lots of ways, especially the touchscreen operation. I like especially that you can use the NAV in motion, and there are a number of shortcuts to avoid stepping back to menus. Three observations/questions:
- I haven't found any setting for speed-sensitive audio volume. I'm sure the '09 had 3 choices.
- No 3-channel option on audio. I used this for radio; thought some center channel made announcements/news/etc. clearer.
- Uploads of CD's seem to take 12 minutes or more (based on the 4 I've done so far). Does this mean it stores CD files rather than converting to MP3? Not a major problem since you can use the other audio sources while it's loading, but what happens if you shut the system down before upload is complete?
- Although NAV operates while in motion, I can't find an option to locate POI's "along current route" (like Garmin does).

Any education is welcome.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick
J
- I haven't found any setting for speed-sensitive audio volume. I'm sure the '09 had 3 choices.
- No 3-channel option on audio. I used this for radio; thought some center channel made announcements/news/etc. clearer.
- Uploads of CD's seem to take 12 minutes or more (based on the 4 I've done so far). Does this mean it stores CD files rather than converting to MP3? Not a major problem since you can use the other audio sources while it's loading, but what happens if you shut the system down before upload is complete?
- Although NAV operates while in motion, I can't find an option to locate POI's "along current route" (like Garmin does).
Jag must have given up on the automatic volume control (speed-sensitve) because it has been eliminated. It was in all of my previous Jags including an 09 and as far as I could tell, it had no effect in any of them. If you mean shutting down the vehicle operation, an upload of a CD will continue when you restart the vehicle. For the POI's, I would just select the type of POI desired and the system will show them wherever they are within the limits of your screen magnification as you travel. Not sure what you meant about 3-channel operation of the audio.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry S
Jag must have given up on the automatic volume control (speed-sensitve) because it has been eliminated. It was in all of my previous Jags including an 09 and as far as I could tell, it had no effect in any of them. If you mean shutting down the vehicle operation, an upload of a CD will continue when you restart the vehicle. For the POI's, I would just select the type of POI desired and the system will show them wherever they are within the limits of your screen magnification as you travel. Not sure what you meant about 3-channel operation of the audio.
Thanks for the reply-
-The avc wasn't a big deal, I think it increased in steps at a couple of speeds. More valuable as tires wear and road noise increases, so you don't have to turn the stereo down at the next stoplight.
-Glad to hear the upload can be interrupted, hadn't tried it yet, was only putting cd's in when I was going on a trip longer than 15 minutes.
- I've messed with the POI icons a few times, but don't find them as easy as the Garmin telling you the next McD's is 30 miles ahead on your route. Otherwise very impressed with the NAV.
- The 09 B-W had three choices: stereo, dolby, and 3 channel. With the 3 channel you could mix the center speaker, and I thought it made spoken stuff on radio easier for my aging ears. I was probably the only person who ever used it.
Thanks again...

Dick
(12 Portfolio, claret/london tan)