XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

12 volt supply for drl lights jaguar xf

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRL Lights On US model '08 XK

I am a Canadian. Ontario law requires DRL before a vehicle can be tagged/registered. My US model '08 XK does not have DRL, however, I don't want the LED-type DRL--I want the OEM headlights to turn with engine start. Is there an existing setting that needs to be turned on or is there a kit available that will make this happen? I'm not sure whether this issue is covered in another thread. If it is, I'd like to be directed to it.
Brian Walker
Ottawa ON

Old 03-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, if you search another post i did a while back, you'll find some wiring instructions you can use.
I have mine working perfectly.
Heres a link to my other post.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...ed-cars-66870/

Brian, as far as im aware your only option is to bypass your car headlights wiring and using a relay setup that switches on/off with ignition. Not really recommended if you're running xenon bulbs. Also may void your warranty if you tinker too much with original wiring.

Last edited by geniusgillius; 03-21-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Default Where did you get them

Originally Posted by PAULCTYPE
I have just fitted the blade type drls to my XF a bit of a fiddle removing the from bumper, I am hoping to wire them up to the ignition not the side lights,does any one know how to wire them in to go of when the lights are switched on. this kit appears to be the same as the Admesh ones but were supplied by a Jag dealer and the destructions supplied ar not good.
Where did you get them, were they expensive and are they the original Jaguar approved ones?

I spoke to a Jaguar dealer in London who said he wouldn't help wire them in, but would recommend wiring them directly to the side lamps!!

Thanks,

Old 08-09-2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by geniusgillius
Tell me that is a temporary wiring solution!... if not that is a fire waiting to happen!

Yes MXF i only put those wires there to show where i took supply from for someones previous post. They are acctualy fed in from underneath the fuse box neatly, with 2amp 12v fuse inline, cable tied to existing looms also & not as you see them in the pic. thanks for your concern tho MXF...lol

Comments on pic please... cheers
Please tell me how you passed the wiring from the lights into the engine bay. If drilling was done, how and where did you do it?

Thank you,
Avanarty

Old 11-29-2012, 03:08 PM

There is a spare 12v ign live feed in the fuse box located under the bonnet. The handbook states it is a "12+ ignition", test it with volt meter and it will only come on with ignition switch.

The following users liked this post:
brianwalker (11-30-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by brianwalker
I am a Canadian. Ontario law requires DRL before a vehicle can be tagged/registered. My US model '08 XK does not have DRL, however, I don't want the LED-type DRL--I want the OEM headlights to turn with engine start. Is there an existing setting that needs to be turned on or is there a kit available that will make this happen? I'm not sure whether this issue is covered in another thread. If it is, I'd like to be directed to it.
Brian Walker
Ottawa ON
I have an '07 XK manufactured for the US market. When I purchased my car I had the dealer turn on the DRL feature, since it is off for the US market. They simply hook up the computer and enable the feature. Cost me about $100 for the service.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi, yes they are stick on ones. whilst one set was ok at night, I wasn't happy with the amount of light they were giving in the daytime, so have done the refit again with 2 sets stuck back to back, then moulded them to suit under the headlights also fitted a shut off relay that turns 1 set off when sidelamps come on.
I used double sided tape to stick to bumper edge and fitted clear plastic u shape clips behind to secure them properly. With the headlights in place, you can't notice them untill they switch on.... im happy now
LED DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT STRIPS AUDI R8 STYLE 2 x 50cm | eBay
I really like how they look on your XF. I'm not clear on how you did the install. Did you remove the headlamps? When you placed both strips back to back, how did you position them so both sets would be visible? I also don't understand how you used the fasteners. I apologize for all the questions, I just want to understand because yours looks better than any I have seen.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I'd try a search for this topic as I thought someone did a how to or an explanation of the blade type install with photos.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

im a fan of the OEM LED lights........but those ebay strips look tacky :X

Old 01-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

My BMW had DRL, why not on the Jag in the US? If it is a software issue, I would like to see if my dealer can have them turned on.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
My BMW had DRL, why not on the Jag in the US? If it is a software issue, I would like to see if my dealer can have them turned on.
They can do it!

jaguny (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Make sure the stripe are the edge lit style. Some have the LED directing light from the side edge ans some are more visible from the flat surface.
Most of the strips available from the auto supply chains are the flat type but there are edge styles available.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by philhef
Make sure the stripe are the edge lit style. Some have the LED directing light from the side edge ans some are more visible from the flat surface.
Most of the strips available from the auto supply chains are the flat type but there are edge styles available.
My advise is to stay away from these strips. They are nothing like oem or bright enough and bulbs burn out very quickly. See a blade install I did a year ago on an xf. Search "jaguar xf drl mod" on youtube...short clip on the finished look. Let me know what you think?

Last edited by geniusgillius; 01-06-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member

My advise is to stay away from these strips. They are nothing like oem or bright enough and bulbs burn out very quickly. See a blade install I did a year ago on an xf. Search "jaguar xf drl mod" on youtube...short clip on the finished look. Let me know what you think?
You're right about strips burning out. I myself have the adamesh chrome blades with the drl built in. Required removing the bumper. But I do use the strips for interior footwell lighting and such.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
I'd try a search for this topic as I thought someone did a how to or an explanation of the blade type install with photos.
I installed my adamesh blade drl set myself. These were not the stick on style they have but the "factory" arden style. The instructions that came with them were very clear and shows how to remove the bumper and everything. It helps to have a friend to hold the bumper while installing. And a blanket to lay it on. Most important thing is being careful disconnecting the parking sensor and having the right tools.
I did find a post explaining how to remove the front bumper that helped a lot.

jaguny (01-07-2013)
Old 05-22-2022, 08:41 AM
Default DRL power supply

The middle pin on the bottom of the connector plug to heaslight unit is 12V supply when ignition is on ( blue wire), if you have DRL with flashing amber indicators, the middle pin directly above is for indicators (yellow/violet wire) this worked perfectly for mine.

Old 05-22-2022, 05:06 PM
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I put some on just below the grill