XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

'12 XJ SC vs XFR

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '12 XJ SC vs XFR

Greetings. Posted in the XJ forum and thought I would ask XFR owners here: did any of you consider the XJ SC and, if so, what made you choose the XFR?

Old 01-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I had considered the XJ, but found myself enamored by the looks of the XF. In my opinion, the front end of the XF looked sleeker, and the rear end looked less dated. I also found that tiny third side window thingy a little odd. In the end, they're both great cars; you'll fall in love with whichever you choose.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:59 PM

Thanks! Currently have the XJL SC but was thinking of getting one of the shorter wheelbase cars for the sporting aspect. I agree, they are both gorgeous from the front, particularly the XFR. Will have to see the rear end of one again in person to decide. Seem to be some great deals on the leftover '12s right now!

Old 01-26-2013, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by pmichaelmd
Thanks! Currently have the XJL SC but was thinking of getting one of the shorter wheelbase cars for the sporting aspect. I agree, they are both gorgeous from the front, particularly the XFR. Will have to see the rear end of one again in person to decide. Seem to be some great deals on the leftover '12s right now!
You better hurry, the 2012's are going fast! Got a great deal on mine. $12K off up front!

Old 01-27-2013, 10:34 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I looked at the XJ SC before getting the XF SC and the biggest reason for me was the XF has a wider back seat and I am frequently transporting my three sons in the back. The XJL has more leg room but not more width.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:34 AM

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. I have 3 kids also and occasionally tote them around. Problem for me is leg room as I am tall (6'5"), which is why I went with the XJL last time around. Will have to do a fit test on both the XF and the XJ to assess the feasibility of using those backseats 1x/wk.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 AM

The seat belts line up, in the XJ the seat belts are under the middle car seat. I get XJL's as loaners and the same issue. The leg room is nice! I'm a hair over 6'2" my 8 year old is already 5'5" but still in a booster seat because its the law until 9. My 2 year old is already over 3 feet tall. I was 6' in 8th grade but didn't grow much after that. Most of the guys in my family both sides are over 6'4" a few are 6'6".

For go fast sedans the XF has the widest back seat.

Attached Thumbnails '12 XJ SC vs XFR-2012-10-10_21-20-49_201.jpg  
Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

i didnt have an XFR, but i had an XF and now an XJ.....and i can definitely say that I would take the XJ over the XF in a heartbeat.

price would be one of the biggest differences between the 2, i think theres about $15k difference? IMO this would be one of the reasons why someone would pick one over the other

but if money was no object....i would still say XJ. reason being, its grander than the XF in every way. i had a lot of back seat complaints in the XF....on the flipside I now get a lot of compliments from the back of the XJL

theres also a lot of silly little details that I appreciate over the XF....alcantara headliner, massage seats, panorama roof, heated and cooled front/rear seats....little things like that

in terms of performance, they have the same engine I believe. weights might also be similar...so performance is near identical...however the XF is a little more nimble...but you're not tracking the thing

Old 01-28-2013, 09:37 AM

my 11 XFSC has everything the 2011/2012 XJL loanes have except, massage seats and the self closing trunk. Leg room is more important for adults, width for car seats.

Plenty of 2011 XJ and XJL for what I paid for my XFSC. Right now you could pick up either car for under 50k. The XJ SC or XJL SC is more.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Greetings. Posted in the XJ forum and thought I would ask XFR owners here: did any of you consider the XJ SC and, if so, what made you choose the XFR?
When I bought my XF in 2009, the XJ was still the old design, so I never considered it. But, if I were shopping today, the primary advantage of an XJ is that it offers more rear seat leg room. On the other hand, it costs around $15k more (SWB) vs. an XF premium, has a smaller trunk, wider turning radius (harder to maneuver in tight spaces) and is around 6 inches longer (in SWB version). So, it comes down to how important a couple of inches of rear leg room is on your list of priorities.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

I had an '04 XJ and one of the reasons I went with the XF was size. I am single now and didn't need such a big car. XF is easier to maneuver in parking lots/garages. The XF had more "trinkets" than the JX did and I don't use all the ones in my XF now. I really don't feel I have lost any prestige in the XF over the XJ at all. Many people have mistaken my XF for an XJ.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the pics! That gives me some idea of width. Your kids are HUGE! I am 6'5" and my wife is 5'9". My nearly 11-year old is 5'0" and that is > 90th percentile! What do you feed your kids? I need some of that for mine!

Originally Posted by XF - Xtra Fast

The seat belts line up, in the XJ the seat belts are under the middle car seat. I get XJL's as loaners and the same issue. The leg room is nice! I'm a hair over 6'2" my 8 year old is already 5'5" but still in a booster seat because its the law until 9. My 2 year old is already over 3 feet tall. I was 6' in 8th grade but didn't grow much after that. Most of the guys in my family both sides are over 6'4" a few are 6'6".

For go fast sedans the XF has the widest back seat.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:29 PM

They are giants' but skinny. My wife is 5'7" she has borrowed cloths from the 8 yo on vacations jackets and such. We wash jeans as one load and I am forever putting her jeans in his closet.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:38 PM

Sounds familiar! My 10-year old wears a men's 8.5 shoe, already larger than his mother's foot. Also eats us out of house and home. They share shoes and socks.

Originally Posted by XF - Xtra Fast
They are giants' but skinny. My wife is 5'7" she has borrowed cloths from the 8 yo on vacations jackets and such. We wash jeans as one load and I am forever putting her jeans in his closet.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
I had an '04 XJ and one of the reasons I went with the XF was size. I am single now and didn't need such a big car. XF is easier to maneuver in parking lots/garages. The XF had more "trinkets" than the JX did and I don't use all the ones in my XF now. I really don't feel I have lost any prestige in the XF over the XJ at all. Many people have mistaken my XF for an XJ.
They do resemble one another quite a bit, from the frontal view.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:03 AM

Sounds familiar! My 10-year old wears a men's 8.5 shoe, already larger than his mother's foot. Also eats us out of house and home. They share shoes and socks.

Yep I have two plates of food Jr eats 3. If I ate as much as he eats I'd be sick. Islands has kids eat free on Tuesday nights FYI, you get 2 free kids meals with every adult meal. You also get endless frys. He eats two islands burgars whatever his brothers have left on their plate and a basket of frys.

I'm in trouble when he gets older! The middle kid is going to be bigger then him and is stocky. He's going to be my football player.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:11 PM

I have tried to cut back myself in the name of health. Then again, I am 6'5" and 230 lbs. My oldest son wolfs several plates of food at a time and I suspect he will be taller than I by the time he finishes high school. My middle son is only 5, but pretty tall. My 3-year old daughter is already several inches ahead of the boys for her agw and will probably be my six footer. Watching them grow makes me feel...old! I need to go for a fast, rejuvenating drive!