XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

1st DIY Service

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st DIY Service

As my XF is out of warranty, I decided to have a go at DIY servicing, to save on Jaguars servicing costs. I'll be changing the oil regulary, so I've invested in a Sealy oil pump to make the job easy, £35 off Ebay for a 8 litre pump. The 2010 car has a dedicated extraction pipe to the bottom right of the engine cover, apparently this runs to the sump bottom, so virtually all the oil can be sucked out.

So I got started early this morning and with minimal effort, the pump was sucking out the oil at about a litre a minute, right up until you could hear it suck up the final drops like finishing off a milkshake.

In total, I replaced 7 Litres of Mannol Jaguar Spec Oil, Mann Oil filter, Delphi Fuel Filter, Mann Pollen filter and upgraded to a new K&N Performance Air Filter. All other fluid levels have been topped up and the usual checks done. I also cleaned both MAF sensors with Electrical Cleaner, one was really dirty. Finally I cleaned the air intake system to avoid any future dirt getting on the MAF. The K & N air filter seems to be working fine, I expected an increase in engine noise, but it was actually running quiter and smoother.

I added my secret weapon, Archoil 9100 oil additive, this stuff is excellent for diesel vehicles. I'm also running Archoil 6400 D Max through the fuel system. The is Engine sounding very sweet. Will have to see what MPG I get now, as I was only getting on average 28mpg mixed driving pre-service, I was hoping for a least the low 30's when buying the car and 40's on motorway.

The only thing I'm concerned about, is that 7 litres of dirty oil was pumped out of the car, in fact a bit more then 7 came out!! I believe the recommended amount is approx 6.5 litres. Following this guidance, I initially put 6.5L, but the electronic guage, told me to add another half litre, so I did. So in total I've put 7 litres back in and the eletronic oil level gauge is now saying Oil Level ok but showing the bar is full to max. Hopefully all should be fine but would welcome opinions and I can suck a bit out if needed..

A few photos of todays effort :

Last edited by fraz; 04-21-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:48 PM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice work!

Old 04-21-2017, 11:31 PM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds more fun than removing all of those screws to get at the oil change from the bottom. Very interesting.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:58 AM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Nice work. Two questions. Did you have to get under the car to replace the oil filter? If not, where is it located?

Also, does anyone know if the 5.0 V8 has an extraction tube and where the oil filter is located?

Old 04-24-2017, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,229 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Originally Posted by Long Islander
Nice work. Two questions. Did you have to get under the car to replace the oil filter? If not, where is it located?

Also, does anyone know if the 5.0 V8 has an extraction tube and where the oil filter is located?
The 3.0 V6 diesel and the 5.0 V8 petrol both have the oil filter in the same place - on top of the engine, towards the front, in the V. Very easy to access and change, and they use the same filter. It's a paper filter inside a plastic canister. Screw the canister off, extract the old filter (needs a good solid tug with a pair of pliers), insert new filter & sealing ring, then screw back on. Only two hassles with replacing the filter - on the diesel you need a 32 mm hex socket, and on the V8 you sometimes find that the filter canister was screwed on by a gorilla and it's a PITA to remove. On my XFR the filter canister was covered in deep scratches, obviously where previous so-called "Jaguar technicians" had tackled it with vice grips or similar.
After lots of mucking about with various types of filter removal tool and making no progress at all I finally found a tool that worked - a "strap/wrench style" with a rubber piece which gripped the filter. However, checking auto parts stores online & eBay I can't find a link to one!
On the 5.0 V8 the oil extraction tube is in the centre of the oil filler hole, on the 3.0 diesel it's near the top front RH corner of the motor (looking from the front of the car) and not at all easy to spot.

Edit - made a boo-boo - they don't use the same oil filter!

Last edited by OzXFR; 04-24-2017 at 06:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Long Islander (04-25-2017)