XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

1st Passenger

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 02:31 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 1st Passenger

I recently went to the Sonoma Race track Audi autocross session to see what it was like - bucket list item. In part this is motivated by my need to drive. I have a standard XF and drive it a lot and luv it, but I wanted "something" else satisfied - not sure what but that is why I am confused - hence looking for another car that raises my pulse rate.

Before I went I came to what is to many an obvious conclusion - modern day car manufacturers are by virtue of technology taking away the "true driving experience" or "connection between man and machine." Today going from 0-60 in 3 seconds is about the car not about the driver. Tesla Electric, Nissan GTR prove that by electric torque and computer control respectively. Going 100mph+ is really easy to do, safely in any reasonable performance car. My conclusion is we are no long "real" drivers, we are the 1st passenger, the modern car is the driver your chauffeur its just how much you want to pay for the class of ride.

Having said that I now need to figure out how to get the money to be a rally race car driver

Last edited by bollocsk187; 01-10-2015 at 02:34 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I think the changes you are describing is just a progression rather than a step change. In other words, the Model T Ford driving experience improved when hydraulic brakes were added, electric start, then "balloon" tires. Along came automatic transmissions, disc brakes, seat belts, ergonomic interiors, radial tires, and fuel injection. Then traction control, variable valves, active restraints, and active suspension. And on and on. As an example, look into the fight Henry Ford put up before allowing hydraulic brakes onto his cars.

So, a driver in any of those eras could say the same about taking away the driving experience as the progression continued. I would argue that a driver of a modern car has many more systems and complexity he should understand in order to drive at maximum performance. Like traction control, stability, assisted braking and so on. You don't need to know how to design them, but you need to understand their operation in order to fully utilize them or not. (Try to get the traction control fully turned off on an XJR!)

On the other hand, most car companies have some research into "driverless" cars and BMW and others have actually demonstrated them on public roads. I believe we are much farther away from them actually being safely used than the proponents say, but that may well be the step change you are implying.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:04 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The difference is we are an an age in which "Car Technology improvements" are accelerating from concept to production. Back in those days it took a lot longer to get to mainstream. As an example Tesla already has a driverless feature available and is a software download to your car - now that is pretty fast. I am not advocating Tesla as well they can download govt/police monitoring/enforcement software to your car without you even knowing it.