XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2009 xf luxury CPO w/23k miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 xf luxury CPO w/23k miles

I have been mulling over the descion of getting into a xf. Currently drive a e350 but have grown bored. I have an opportunity to purchase a 09 w/23k and its certified. I have been reasearching reliabilty issues etc. I understand the gear selector is the biggest problem. Has this been remidied by a recall recently as i read the old recall did not always work. The other car for consideration is a bmw 535i( I had two previous)

Any insight is appreciated....i reallty do love the symetry of car...

Old 10-31-2011, 04:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently purchased a 2009 XF SC with 35K miles, also CPO. I have had no problems with the gear shifter. My car was serviced entirely at the JAG dealership I purchased from..as a result I asked and received the maintenance records. I found no indications that the shifter was repaired. So I asked the service manager and he looked up my VIN and informed me that my shifter was NOT in any recall associated with shifter.

If no problems in three years, 35K, then I don't anticipate any with the shifter going forward. I would suggest that you obtain the maintenance records and go from there.

I can tell you that my XF is the best car I have ever owned and I have owned Mercedes, porsche, audiand BMW. You will love the car..let us know if you purchase it.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the info, i have owned all of the major german cars, still have a benz and my porsche but had two previous 5 series BMW and a Audi Q7(wife). I love the way bmw's drive and was leaning thta direction until i seen the xf. I'm test driving tomorrow..its not a SC though....

Old 10-31-2011, 11:06 PM

if you are **** about things like how the switchgear and buttons feel when you touch/push them, the way the door handle feels when you pull it, the way the turn signal stalk feels/sounds when you activate it you will find all that to be different on the Jag vs. MB/BMW.
To me those things stand out and the Germans and Japanese have it more or less figured out.
Day to day I always feel like the side bolstering on seat is not enough.

Overall I would say there's less refinement on the Jag. But certainly improved from days past.

On plus side the engine/tranny is amazing and fun to drive. Car can be sporty when you want and civilized when you want.

I was originally looking for a 2009 also but decided the 2011 to be a better value due to full maintenance incl. How much will the 2009 cost?

Old 11-01-2011, 05:53 AM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by chekraze
if you are **** about things like how the switchgear and buttons feel when you touch/push them, the way the door handle feels when you pull it, the way the turn signal stalk feels/sounds when you activate it you will find all that to be different on the Jag vs. MB/BMW.
To me those things stand out and the Germans and Japanese have it more or less figured out.
Interesting observation. I have found the Jag quite good in this regard. Audi always felt the best with everything very solid and substantial feeling. My First and Last BMW (335i) I found surprisingly light and plasticy by comparison. I was surprised how thin everything felt....don't get me wrong, everything worked well but it was really surprising after coming from an Audi where everything you touched felt like it was carved out of something solid. The Jag is somewhere in between....but way more interesting inside and out I think.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:19 AM

Thanks, car is 35900

Old 11-01-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by 911turbo
Thanks, car is 35900
Just for reference I purchased my 2011 XFP with 11k mi for about $44K. Keep in mind the 2011s have 5 yr warranty with all sched maint as well as wear and tear items covered.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by cwood
Interesting observation. I have found the Jag quite good in this regard. Audi always felt the best with everything very solid and substantial feeling. My First and Last BMW (335i) I found surprisingly light and plasticy by comparison. I was surprised how thin everything felt....don't get me wrong, everything worked well but it was really surprising after coming from an Audi where everything you touched felt like it was carved out of something solid. The Jag is somewhere in between....but way more interesting inside and out I think.
I'd agree that compared to the 3 series cars i've driven as loaners they have plasticky feel to a lot of their components and you don't get that "substantial" feel.
My comparison mainly comes from some previous cars i've owned/own incl a 1999 E Class, 2005 CLK, 2007 7 series and 2010 Honda odyssey. The CLK had the worst plastic buttons and I think that's b/c it was made during the Daimler/Chrysler years.

No doubt the Jag has great styling esp the exterior. And you have to like the special effects of the air vents and shifter knob rising. But couldn't they have made the shifter knob and the shiny chrome ring around it of actual metal? It can't be cost because they've obv spent $$ on the nice wood that's in the cabin.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 2 XF Jags 2009 and 2011 and no selector problems whatsoever, the 2009 is getting out lease and I trade in for a XK 2007. The only problem I have seen in my 2009 was a Battery which was replaced a month ago

Old 11-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

There is a second recall to replace the shifter. Make sure it is done on your car if applicable. They all fail eventually but the replacement is supposed to permanently fix the problem.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:12 PM

The dealer sold car prior to my test drive...great, any how I found another 2010 xf premium with 19 k miles on it and cop to dec 2015 for 41. I believe this may be better deal. Bigger motor and longer warranty plus premium pkg

Old 11-03-2011, 03:38 PM

Agreed, I think that car being sold will work in your favor. I hadn't even considered the different engine. Now that you mention it i did drive an '09 and wasn't impressed with the powertrain. You will love the power of the 5.0.

Don't be afraid to make a low offer and good luck. What color?

Make sure CPO is more or less exactly the same covg as original warranty. This is main reason I dumped my 07 750i. Once the CPO kicked in all I kept hearing from dealer was how this and that was excluded every time I had an issue. Jag's CPO might be good coverage like MBs is.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:13 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Taking the plunge - Jag XF

I have just recently bought a new 2011 Jag XF 3.0. My last car was BMW 330 CI 2005. I have driven BMW and Mercs for the past 15 years and wanted to try something different. I was never a Jag fan until this XF came out. I know the depreciation factor comes to mind but just think it is so stylish I cannot resist going for it. Also everyime I have had to sell the BMWs/Merc I was never going to get the price that I wanted and it was always a loss for me therefore I think it is never going to be a problem for me. Hence have never looked back. I had the choice of the new BMW 5 and the E class but I just see these cars everywhere and it's become mundane to look at. Certainly with the Jag I think I get more stares/look since in Hong Kong it is just rare to see.

Anyway, I am glad I found this forum since I have had a lot of information here which helped me to decide to go for the XF!

Keep up the good work.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Cool, I wish you will be happy with your choice . I love Mercedes Benzes as well . However, XF is a real eye catcher

Old 11-04-2011, 07:00 AM

Silver on black, I don't know much about exclusions on cpo warranty but assume it mimics original. Maybe someone can chime in. I for one had great experience with my cpo BMW 07 as well when issues arose.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:18 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RegentV12
Cool, I wish you will be happy with your choice . I love Mercedes Benzes as well . However, XF is a real eye catcher
I was going to otherwise go for New E350. But in my carpark I saw about 6 of these already and I thought damn everywhere I look was a Merc. In Hong Kong there are only about 400 Jag Xf's.....

Old 11-05-2011, 04:43 PM

XF def has more exclusivity. I've received more comments on my car in the 2 moniths I've owned it than I ever got total in 11 yrs of owning MB/BMWs.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

id consider selling my 09 SUPERCHARGED porcelain white on spice... every option (heated steering wheel) is only option avail - comes loaded w/ everything else (ipod + usb), BW sound, xfr trunk lip, and chrome side pillar (removable)... car is in above average condition... 25k miles... Also has the expensive jaguar XF rubber mats.

Car is a late model 09... it was sold in either april or may 2009... so warranty is good until 5/2013! Never in an accident. ZERO paintwork - dealer confirmed today because they want to buy it

I can get a good deal on a 2011 new lease... so hence why I may sell. No other brand would I want now!

Send me any offers if anyone is serious. I am in NJ - but can travel a bit to meet someone, and also have good connections for shipping.. both indoor and exterior.. I have used this company 5+ times. Great prices, but more importantly meticulous with shipping!

Old 12-02-2011, 08:48 PM

I purchased a fully loaded CPO 2009 XF Premium Luxury back in May 2011 for $34k. I have only a couple of minor warranty work, (i.e. blown B & W Speakers), however, I did had to replace the gear shift module which I believe is Technical Bulletin item.
If I recalled correctly, I discovered my model was a very early build #137....so the gear shift issue was not unexpected.

The only other significant issue is a non-operational heated steering wheel....currently in service. I have been loaned 2009 Supercharge Model, 2010 & 2011 XF Base Models. I will admit the 5.0 Engine is significantly stouter than the 4.2 Engine. However, I think the 4.2 Engine is more than adequate for everyday driving.

If I was to step-up into more performance, I would go for a Supercharge XF or XFR Model...no matter the model year. We have owned Audi, Mercedes and driven BMWs....I love my Jag the most.

Good Luck with your purchase...