XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2009 XF reliability and pre purchase questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 12:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2009 XF reliability and pre purchase questions

Hello all. I'm currently looking for a new car and found out that 2009 jaguars are pretty well priced for the car. I was wondering how reliable this things are. Obviously ever my vehicle needs proper maintenance, and i'm very committed to my cars.
Is there anything i should be aware of? The one i looked at had around 100k miles. Looked clean inside out. If i do get the car i'll definetely put new spark plugs and oil flushes all around.
Thanks in advance!

The following users liked this post:
hiltoncam (02-19-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 07:47 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

MB..

I'll be the first to chime in....First:, where you from?..include that in your profile so people from your area can better help you .

Second; There is a ton of threads on this very topic, just look back and read..Others will offer their opinions. I myself would look for a newer one than the 09, because that was basically the first year had the 4.2L engine and it had some nagging issues that has since been resolved in later MY's and they have the 5.0L engine as well.

Welcome!

Old 02-12-2016, 08:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the reply. I'm from Houston, Texas. After doing some research, i still don't get a definitive answer lol. Looks like although there are some problems, they are recall isues or maintenance issues. Also since i'll be doing most of the repairs myself 'm not really concerned about fees. Only thing is that i don't like to be stranded in the middle of the highway since it's going to be my daily driver. Anyways i'll keep looking around

Old 02-19-2016, 12:38 PM
Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

I own a 3.0L petrol - 2009 - owned it for a year now and here are the issues mine has had so far - water pump leaking, idler pulley squeal, lower control arms both replaced due to a leaking bush, driver's (RHD) window regulator and the service bulletin on the touch sensitive lights above the rear view mirror. All these issues were repaired, most of them on an extended warranty (if yours has low mileage, I'd highly recommend buying an extended warranty because your car will use it and it will pay for itself within two claims). My warranty already paid for itself and I still have another year to go on it, and I've already used way more than I paid for the warranty in the costs of these repairs. Truthfully, the Jaguar XF is a good, solid car and you won't regret ever buying one. The driving experience is so rewarding! I also have an Audi and it constantly wants attention and is breaking down - time to get rid of that thing. But my Jag, even though things do go wrong now and again, never breaks down, never fails me and never lets me down. Plus, its so nice to look at after it's had a good wash n' wax

Old 02-19-2016, 12:41 PM

ps. If you want to see a video of mine, you can check out my latest video which included all my maintenance done on the car so far as well as some gizmos I bought such as a DVR and an MP3 FM player via the lighter socket (mine doesn't have the USB interface

Tennis dad (02-22-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 273 Posts

Whatever you get run a Carfax report on it BEFORE you buy it. ALL cars at this level (JAG, MB, BMW, AUDI, MASERATI, LEX etc.) have issues, the trick is to get one where most or all of the issues have been fixed.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are a good car, one thing to get done would be having the transmission serviced. This blog will tell you the issue.

Land Rover / Jaguar ZF transmission servicing and faults - Pickards Automotive | Car Service Centre | British and European Specilists | Melbourne

hiltoncam (02-21-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mikeyp
They are a good car, one thing to get done would be having the transmission serviced. This blog will tell you the issue.

Land Rover / Jaguar ZF transmission servicing and faults - Pickards Automotive | Car Service Centre | British and European Specilists | Melbourne
Thanks for the headsup. My XF is due for a transmission service on it's next service in July and I fully intend to have it done. I checked it out on the net and see the entire oil pan must be replaced as the filter is part of the oilpan, so the gasket and oilpan need to be replaced in addition to all the oil - quite an expensive service, but cheaper than a new tranny

Old 02-22-2016, 11:30 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hiltoncam; your post with video scared the heck out of me until I looked up the value of a rand vs. the dollar. I guess the price for those repairs wasn't so bad after all.

hiltoncam (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tennis dad
Hiltoncam; your post with video scared the heck out of me until I looked up the value of a rand vs. the dollar. I guess the price for those repairs wasn't so bad after all.
LoL! Yes, our currency has depreciated quite a bit in the past year or so - good for you, bad for me

Old 02-22-2016, 12:16 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

The one thing I'd be concerned with, if I were shopping for an '09 XF, would be the problem with the differentials in some cars of that vintage.

Search out the threads here, but from what I remember it has to do with rear axle leaks and the fact that it can't be fixed. Very, very costly (i.e., bullet in the brain) to fix from what I recall.

==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past Ours: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green