XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2009 XF Stuck in Park

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 XF Stuck in Park

I tried doing a Google search for help on this, and this forum continued to come up as a good resource, so I'm hoping someone here is able to help.

We have a 2009 XF, it is an early build we actually got it in 2008. And this morning we couldn't get it out of Park. The knob rotated up, and was locked. We shut the car off and turned it back on a few times and nothing. Thought it was the smart key for some reason, and put that in it's little "home." Nothing. Tried to activate the parking brake and then we got an error that there was a "parking brake fault."

Does anyone have suggestions on how to at least get it into gear so that we can move it. It is currently parking in my car, and at a minimum I'd like to try to move it so we've got something to drive.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same thing happened to many XF's back in the day. I personally got stuck in a Wendy's drive through about 5 yrs ago and had to have it towed to the dealer. Extremely embarrassing during the lunch hour! There was some type of recall I believe and Jaguar updated my car with a fix.

The tow driver told me that I was the fifth car that week with the same issue. He told me that you need to pry open the Silver piece of rectangular plastic that is located towards the rear end of the center console. It's just behind the cup holders where you open the center glove box. It pops off and there's some cable underneath that you pull up and you can then put the car in neutral. That's what he did to get the car out of park to get it on the tow truck.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 2,389 Posts

See this page from the Workshop Manual:

It's not in the Owner's Handbook but I reckon it should be.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:52 PM
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Happened to me not too long ago. They had to replace the whole gear selector panel. Thank God it was under an insurance claim at a body shop for gravel damage repairs when it happened so my insurance company had to pay the $1900 bill.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:30 PM

This is all quite terrifying. The closest Jaguar dealer is about 130 miles away. I was able to manoeuvre my car around and get out from in front, but between the shifter issues, and the fact that the A/C stopped working last summer, I'm ready to be done with it.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,548 Likes on 3,957 Posts

see post #3

Old 05-13-2015, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
see post #3
We were able to get it into neutral a few days ago. Still wasn't particularly easy to get out from infront of it due to other obstacles. But thanks.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Been there, done that

OzXFR gave you the right information to get to move the vehicle. I know since this happened to me, only mine locked in D. Not so bad except that I was in a driveway facing the garage door, and I was fifty miles from home. Fortunately my 2009 was still under warranty.

Be sure to block the wheels when you do pull up on the release lever as the car will be free to roll. This is how you'll need to be set up to get it on a car carrier and to the repair shop unless you plan to replace the shifter control module yourself, as that's whats gone bad on you. Apparently a fairly common problem that year.

You'll want to use the front and rear tow hooks to hold the car steady on the car carrier. Once on the car carrier, be sure to push the locking lever back into the down/locked position to re-engage the transmission park position, once the car is secured.

All this is detailed in the owners manual in the towing section, I believe.

Good luck.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by WiRunner
This is all quite terrifying. The closest Jaguar dealer is about 130 miles away. I was able to manoeuvre my car around and get out from in front, but between the shifter issues, and the fact that the A/C stopped working last summer, I'm ready to be done with it.
There was a known defect in the circuit board controlling the shifter. These were all supposed to be replaced free of charge under a general TSB program.

The repair is simple and there is no issue with the transmission, only the selector is involved. The original circuit boards were defective and a new board cures the issue completely. If you were the original owner Jaguar Canada was supposed to issue you a letter asking you to bring your car in for this repair.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by Almostthere
OzXFR gave you the right information to get to move the vehicle. I know since this happened to me, only mine locked in D. Not so bad except that I was in a driveway facing the garage door, and I was fifty miles from home. Fortunately my 2009 was still under warranty.

Be sure to block the wheels when you do pull up on the release lever as the car will be free to roll. This is how you'll need to be set up to get it on a car carrier and to the repair shop unless you plan to replace the shifter control module yourself, as that's whats gone bad on you. Apparently a fairly common problem that year.

You'll want to use the front and rear tow hooks to hold the car steady on the car carrier. Once on the car carrier, be sure to push the locking lever back into the down/locked position to re-engage the transmission park position, once the car is secured.

All this is detailed in the owners manual in the towing section, I believe.

Good luck.
Nothing in the Owner's Manual, I checked 3 different PDF versions and my paper version.

But a little Googling found this informative page, with pics:

How To Tow A Jaguar Equipped With An Electronic Shift Lever

Old 05-15-2015, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by jagular
There was a known defect in the circuit board controlling the shifter. These were all supposed to be replaced free of charge under a general TSB program.

The repair is simple and there is no issue with the transmission, only the selector is involved. The original circuit boards were defective and a new board cures the issue completely. If you were the original owner Jaguar Canada was supposed to issue you a letter asking you to bring your car in for this repair.
I live in the US, so hopefully Jaguar US will do the same.

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Nothing in the Owner's Manual, I checked 3 different PDF versions and my paper version.

But a little Googling found this informative page, with pics:

How To Tow A Jaguar Equipped With An Electronic Shift Lever
It would have been incredibly helpful for this to be in the manual, or even a supplement. I am somewhat surprised that it was omitted. My dad always warned me about the smoke getting out from the electronics on a Jaguar. I didn't see any smoke, but the front passenger brake was squealing, and the a/c doesn't work. I'll say close enough, but maybe he was right.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:11 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Has the circuit board been fixed on newer models? I am scared of this happening to me and have just purchased a 2012 XF.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Yes, no later cars have this issue. Jaguar had a short run of defectively manufactured control boards. All the replacement boards were correctly manufactured. It was not a design issue but a supplier fault.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:35 AM

Well just an update. I'm currently sitting in a hotel, as yesterday morning the shifter gave up the ghost. The worst part is that I was in the process of driving from Maine to Wisconsin and I'm stuck in Ohio. The dealer is charging around $1200 for the repair. They checked the VIN against any programmes and said that it didn't qualify for any repairs.

Does anyone have any suggestions of any kind that I can convince Jaguar to pick up the repair tab? (Or in this case reimburse me for the repairs.)

Old 06-05-2015, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 390 Posts

How frustrating for you. Unfortunately if yours wasn't one of the early defective circuit boards in the 2009 model year, then I doubt they will do anything for you as it sounds like an unrelated issue. Let us know how it gets resolved - and curious to know what the specific issue is

Old 06-06-2015, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Happened to see on eBay today in 'my feeds' a gear shift module for the XF. Says its a 2012 module - not sure if they are the same (it looks a little different from my 2010) - but that may just be aesthetics vs function. Anyway it's 199 dollars which is I'm sure much less than dealer.
Search for this
Jaguar XF 2012 Gear Selector Module OEM CX23-7E453-BE Scratched, see pictures. New.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:58 PM

The paperwork makes mention of a ground short in the shift control module, and i have the one out of it. I didn't have time to look or wait for eBay. I was stuck on a trip with a hard deadline and really needed to get it fixed asap. Which, unfortunately, meant that a dealer was the fastest option. It cost about $1100 for the repair. (though, im also currently now stuck on airplane waiting for storms to pass, but that's another story.)

Old 06-03-2020, 10:22 PM
Default Stuck in park and it's not the gear selector

I have a 2009 jaguar xf supercharged that is stuck in park. The gear selector is brand new and the transmission fault light is on the dash board. The codes I got were p2725 -a permanent, p2727-13 intermittent, p1707-72 historic. I also got these from the ecu U0101-00 historic, U0405-8f intermittent, U0402-08 historic. The gear selector won't move from park at all. I would like some assistance as to where to go from here now wether I need a new transmission or valve body or something of the sort.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

Why is there a new gear selector knob? Was that an attempt at fixing the issue?

As a starter, how strong and well charged is the battery? What voltage are you getting across it with the engine off? That's a good place to start

Then - what other symptoms. Does the car start and run ok? Is the alternator providing power (or what's voltage on the electrical system when car is running)?

Old 06-07-2020, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
Why is there a new gear selector knob? Was that an attempt at fixing the issue?

As a starter, how strong and well charged is the battery? What voltage are you getting across it with the engine off? That's a good place to start

Then - what other symptoms. Does the car start and run ok? Is the alternator providing power (or what's voltage on the electrical system when car is running)?
Replacing the gear shift was an attempt to fix the problem. That's before I scanned the vehicle. The car starts and runs fine. The other code that I got but it was in the history is lost communication with the TCM. But the car runs fine when it starts

Quick Reply: 2009 XF Stuck in Park