XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2009 XF Supercharged I/C pump change

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 XF Supercharged I/C pump change

Pump has been replaced. Water pump as well. Still getting the P2601 code. Mechanic checked new pump flow. Switched relay also. Any suggestions before I drive 2 hours to the dealer? I have read many posts in the forums but I haven't got anything else to go on. Thanks for any help.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:09 PM
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Did they exchange the correct pump?

The 4.2L has two electric pumps, one for the heater, one for the intercooler.

Swapping the wrong pump has happened several times.

The following users liked this post:
aconley (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it was the correct pump. That's what is puzzling. I figured that problem would be solved.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

What do you mean by switched relay? Did he manually energise the relay to see if it works? You still would need to check the circuit on the car. It says in wiring diagram, Fuse #40 in the Engine Junction Box is for the Supercharger Coolant Pump.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings,

I'm in the middle of changing my IC pump, on my 09 xf-s.

Code 2601 is generated when the air exiting the intercooler is higher than designed.

The computer will default to an air temp around 160 degrees Fahrenheit, prevent boost, pull timing, and add fuel, to prevent self destruction.

If you start your car after sitting overnight (cold), and it has good acceleration / performance , until the engine warms, you have a coolant flow issue. Bad pump / pump wired in reverse / bad pump fuse / clogged lines / possible thermostat.

First the intercooler pump, on the 4.2 can only be accessed, by removing the front bumper. If they changed the pump near the airbox, you will still receive restricted performance as this is the heater pump.

If they changed the correct pump, verify that you are receiving power at the pump & and the pump is on. The tech can run a wire from fuse #40 directly to the pump positive wire, and the pump negative wire directly to ground.

If this checks out the look into your intercooler temp sensor. But I doubt you'll get this far.