XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2009 XF Supercharged Purchase Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 XF Supercharged Purchase Advice Needed

Moving to XF world, decided to find a 09 CPO. I test drove the 300hp then the 420hp SC and I preferred the SC handling and responsive engine/transmission. Now for you who own and use the SC, I need your feedback!
- I noticed that when starting a 300hp XF the engine runs smoothly on idle, XF SC starts with a bit of vibration, goes after you drive the car. Is this normal? (the SC in question is less than 20K miles)
- Going through interior accessories, buttons loose plastic etc, what should I be looking for to fix?
- My purchase decision is focused on CPO, because of warranty, however, no ones wants to have warranty and spend most of his/her time at the dealer. What do you think I should inspect.
I appreciate any advice, as I am parting my S-Type to the new age

Old 01-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2010 and forward, the engine is 5L instead of 4.2. The non-supercharged power is 385HP. That means, on paper at least, it's pretty close to the 4.2L supercharged.

I haven't driven an SC. I have a 2011 XF, non-supercharged. I've never noticed vibration that you're describing. When starting, I try to let the engine warm up and rev down to idle at about 600RPM before putting it in gear.

If you're worried about warranty, then newer is better, of course. I don't know the current pricing, but if a 2010 non-supercharged is similar or a bit lower in price to a 2009 SC, then that may be a better deal for you. Almost as much power, but more life to the warranty.

The following users liked this post:
buddanos (01-28-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 01:06 AM

Thank you for your input! You are right about the 2010, however, the 5L Premium with low mileage avaialble are pretty much above my budget. I wanted to replace my daily driver with a Luxuary-Basic XF, however, I tried the SC and there is pretty much great difference in performance, while there isn't that much of a difference in price.
I also, would prefer the 4.2L, for two reasons, first it is a very sound engine, second it is more economical than the 5L. Saying that, I am sure that 2010 and later would have better electronics and less issues.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Received 309 Likes on 114 Posts
Default 5.0 liter 2010 is the long term solution

I have driven the 2010 XF with the 4.2L and 5.OL Premium. No comparison. I purchased 2010 XF Premium and its next gen superior 5.OL at 385 HP. In real driving got avg 19 mpg and 26-27 highway at 70 mph and this car is really fast. Issues with the 2009 were fixed by 2010. In the long run 4.2 SC old tech.

Drove it 11K miles and just traded it for a 2011 XF custom built 5.0L SC. Drove the 2011 XFR super hyper fast 510 HP and the hyper fast 470 HP XF SC. Noticeably lower highway mileage in the 23 MPG range, but I don't drive much. XFR was hard to control. The dealer called me and gave me a deal I couldn't refuse.

Everything considered get a 2010 5.0L, mine was immaculate, is Certified Select and going for
Used 2010 Jaguar XF Premium For Sale | Wilmette IL .

Who knows shop around...want high power high MPG shop and go for the 5.0L! Highly recommended

Old 01-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

The new engine is direct injected so gets the extra power "for free" in that fuel economy is practically the same. Probably the new engine gets better fuel economy in real world conditions.

The older engine does indeed have a long history of success behind it since the 4.0 liter version was stroked out to 4.2 liters. This engine is pretty much bulletproof.

The largest displacement reached by the older engine is 4.7 liters in the Aston Martin V8 Vantage. The new Jaguar V8 is based upon a new block and is radically different.

The 4.2 SC engine is known for a vacuum leak at the intercooler requiring a fair amount of labour to repair but is covered by warranty. However, many posters have reported difficulty getting this diagnosed and repaired so insist on this being checked out.

The only other issues involve the transmission selector fault which should be fixed under warranty by now (check all the TSB work has been completed) and the rear brake pads tend to wear more quickly than is usual.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Default edobernig...Thank you for your input !

Originally Posted by edobernig
Issues with the 2009 were fixed by 2010. In the long run 4.2 SC old tech.
It is definitely old technology compared to the 5L. I originally was searching for an 08 S-Type R, but couldn't find one with low miles. Hence, decided to jump one notch up (and my budget went a bit up too) needless to say the only XF 4.2L that I would be willing to invest in would be the SC.
The 5L, would throw me off my budget totally, and I don't want the wife to tell me that I was better off in an Acura TL (which is surprisingly in the same price range!!!!). I found the 4.2SC is a balance between budget(mine), performance, and fuel economy. I am not sure though about durability!
I understand what you say about the XFR, one of my toys is a Maserati Gransport, with a tuned down Ferrari 430 engine, and yes, they are fun to drive, but not for daily use. Thanks again!

Old 01-29-2012, 06:10 PM

Jagular; This is serious business!

Originally Posted by jagular
The 4.2 SC engine is known for a vacuum leak at the intercooler requiring a fair amount of labour to repair but is covered by warranty. However, many posters have reported difficulty getting this diagnosed and repaired so insist on this being checked out.
Will do! Thanks

The only other issues involve the transmission selector fault which should be fixed under warranty by now (check all the TSB work has been completed) and the rear brake pads tend to wear more quickly than is usual.
I noticed that the selector was changed and the rear brake bads were replaced very recently. The seller will replace one of the rear tires for side cuts. "TSB"?
Anything else that you may think of? Anything that bothers you personally about XF's, noise or somrthing of the kind?

Old 01-29-2012, 08:45 PM

I have a 09 SC with 26k on the motor. I have no issues with vibration. Car runs real smooth and fast. Get about 19mpg average. I bought it about 6 months ago. Had 1 issue with center overhead lights randomly turning on while driving. This was fixed under warranty. Also one of the headlights blew. Luckly also under warranty since it is about 350. for new assembly. Naturally you can't get just the bulb. The only complaint I have is the usual European seat smell and having to wait at least 1 week to have car repaired every time due to only 1 dealer in city.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Default Optiview, Thanks!

That's what I was wondering about. Every XF naturally aspirated I tested starts to a smooth idle. While the SC I tested starts with a somewhat rough idle. Is there a pre-muffler post cats X Pipe in the SC or something?

Originally Posted by optiview
I have no issues with vibration. Car runs real smooth and fast. Get about 19mpg average.
Yes, it runs very well and the engine is so smooth in operation. Actually, a very interesting configuration comparing to the 5 Series.

The only complaint I have is the usual European seat smell and having to wait at least 1 week to have car repaired every time due to only 1 dealer in city.
European seat smell?! please explain. As for the lack of dealers, I live in North NJ and we have at least 4 within reach, but it is better if you have one good dealer, than many that are not so good! NYC area dealers have very low ratings!!! at least on the web!
Thank you for taking the time and your help!

Old 01-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

You have a maser gransport and your XF will be your daily driver? I wish I had your problems!

The rough idle on cold start might be an air leak. There should be no difference between the two engines at idle.

European seat smell probably refers to the unique British interior smell. Even rentacars in the UK have this aroma. I like it but then I was born there.

If you are an Italian car fan you will love the jaguar. There is a reason Alfa romeo was very popular in Britain. Also, you will see more jags in Italy than in say France.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:26 PM

Had 1 issue with center overhead lights randomly turning on while driving. This was fixed under warranty. Also one of the headlights blew. Luckly also under warranty since it is about 350. for new assembly. Naturally you can't get just the bulb.
On an XF you can't just buy a bulb? I know led's are what the XF comes with now so is this the same issue 2012's?

Old 01-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member

Headlights are bi xenon so the usual fault is a blown ballast. The bulb should also be available but rarely fails because there is no filament to burn out. If the ballast doesn't fail the bi xenon lasts basically forever. Before 2012 bi xenon were an option with halogen being standard, at leadt on the base model, although most NA XF were equipped with bi xenon. I think the SC came with bi xenon as standard.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

I also have a 09 SC with about 32k on it now. I've driven a NA 5.0L a few times now and I still prefer my 4.2L SC over the NA 5.0L. Sure it's only 35hp more but I notice it. The SC version also comes with quite a few options as standard. The NA 5.0L's your would look at would have to be pretty stripped down to come near the same price.

The interior on my car has been perfect. I've had the shifter recall so verify that has been done. Before the recall I did have a few instances of the shifter not turning out of park but a restart always fixed it for me. No issues with it anymore. I did have issues recently with dirty fuiel injectors. The dealer told me that we should run a bottle of BG injector cleaner through with every gas tank. They said it's due to the ethanol content in today's fuels. That seemed like a BS response to me. What other car do you have to do that on? Dealers generally do not cover the injector clean but they did cover mine after some talking.

I have a 09 SC with 26k on the motor. I have no issues with vibration. Car runs real smooth and fast. Get about 19mpg average. I bought it about 6 months ago. Had 1 issue with center overhead lights randomly turning on while driving. This was fixed under warranty. Also one of the headlights blew. Luckly also under warranty since it is about 350. for new assembly. Naturally you can't get just the bulb. The only complaint I have is the usual European seat smell and having to wait at least 1 week to have car repaired every time due to only 1 dealer in city.
When my lights are on auto I have had them flip on and off like the light sensor can't make up it's mind. It looks like I'm flashing someone so it's a bit annoying but only happens on rare occasions. Does that sound like the same issue you had? I usually don't leave it in auto any more.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:34 PM

The drivers side light just died shortly after I bought the car. Nothing would make it light. Dealer told me the whole assembly needed replacement. I did not care about details because it was under warranty.

The seat smell I am referring to is the rubberized smell that I seem to get with every European vehicle over 2 years old. Mercedes, VW, jaguar ect. Im not sure why after 30 years they can't seem to change the formula. Maybe Im to sensitive to it but on a warm day I must add those air freshener sticks in the vents to cover smell.

I am in florida so cold start is subjective. It was 50deg this morning and had a smooth start. It should not idle rough.

Whether to buy a SC or not. My opinion is bragging rights for the S.C. only. I drove both a 2011 jag and 09 with S.C. and the speed was similar. I wanted a silver car with black interior and the Bowers stereo and the S.C. I find I have little use for the S.C. when commuting. Although my comparison is to my 08 challenger with kennebell SC. since it is a root, it blasts in at about 2200 rpm. That is scary! The jag just seems to be seamless when in use so not as much a " thrill" when driving it.

When shopping keep carmax in mind. I shopped for a while and got mine at car max for about 4k under other dealers. They will transport it from other car max locations giving you a much better choice in selection. Also jag still waranty's the cars. Although I was told by jag dealer to be wary of carmax extended warranty because they never approved repairs on cars sold with jag dealer (maybe they lied wanting my business)

Old 01-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my SC... No vibrations... I am almost at 20K miles and so far the only thing that I have changed on the car is the transmission selector. A minor clunk noise comes now when i accelerate real fast but i have to take it in to check on it...

Old 01-31-2012, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

Ethanol in the fuel will not harm injectors, that is pure dealer bs. Modern gas has tons of detergent in it. Only DI engines have been suffering from deposits building up on intake valves due to no fuel passing through the ports of those engines. Deposits on injectors of port injected engines is another dealer bs. Valves yes, injectors no. Not anymore unless you are buying cheapo gas every time.

Injection cleaning is no longer even recommended as a service. Aftermarket additives are mainly to remove water contamination, which ethanol does quite nicely. Alcohol of one type or another is a common ingredient in these fuel tank injector "cleaners".

Old 01-31-2012, 10:15 PM

You have a maser gransport and your XF will be your daily driver?
Gransports were not designed as daily drivers, they are very quick and could be out of control easily, requiring 1000% attention + no cup holders, you need to focus on what you're doing

The rough idle on cold start might be an air leak. There should be no difference between the two engines at idle.
More of a Purr than rough idle, I was at the dealer and requested they check it, which they did, then I checked another Supercharged and here it was that Purrr! Its Nice but wanted to know if it is OK! I called a friend who works for Jaguar service and told me if there was a leak you will have a check engine as fuel mixture will be rich and the sensors will kick off! Will see!

European seat smell probably refers to the unique British interior smell.
I could only smell leather! Lots of it!

If you are an Italian car fan you will love the jaguar.
that's why I am buying an XF not an M5 or S6 etc. Thanks!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:24 PM
Default And the dealer was amazed

Had 1 issue with center overhead lights randomly turning on while driving. This was fixed under warranty.
With all of this information put neatly in a list, the dealer was like... where did you get all of this info from, damn the Internet
I will take the car tomorrow today we went through many items including the selector which was replaced earlier. I test drove the car today at sunset and I haven't noticed the auto light hesitation issue (I am familiar with it in Fords). Thanks

Old 01-31-2012, 10:39 PM
Default I agree! Same thing!

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
I've driven a NA 5.0L a few times now and I still prefer my 4.2L SC over the NA 5.0L. Sure it's only 35hp more but I notice it.
It must be the Supercharger then! This is what I experienced in Sport mode and it launches pretty good. After all 0-60 in 5.1 is awesome!
Steering is also very sensitive and responsive. Unlike the German three, with no road feel at all!
I great mix between a touring and performance sedan! Yes, I think i will go for the 4.2SC! Thanks

Old 02-01-2012, 07:57 PM

Thank you everyone. I took delivery of the 09XFSC today in this lovely spring weather! Drives well and after a 60 miles drive, highway and stop and go, I am impressed with the engine and the chassis. I wish it had the XFR seats though, I find myself out of the seat when cornering (which is done very precise)
Road feel in the steering wheel is immense! I have another car with low profile tires but the road feel is not as evident!
I purchased the car from Heritage Jaguar in Long Island, it is a CPO with 3 years left in warranty. Well, I don't know about certified, but as soon as I left the "low washer fluid" indication was on, stopped to add some, then I discovered that all visible oil containers are on minimum ) So much for "Certified"! In any case, all dealers are the same with the exception of the Ferrari and Maserati dealers, I must say that it is a totally different experience, however, at a price! I will do some TLC to the car, take some pics, then post them! Thanks again everyone for your time, attention, your valuable opinions and sharing your experiences.