XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2010 non-CPO XFR - add extended warranty or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 07:54 PM
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2010 non-CPO XFR - add extended warranty or not?

Gents,

I'm very close to moving on a 2010 XFR, black with red interior (my dream combo). It's at 60k miles so out of factory warranty - however I can obviously add a 24 or 36 month warranty for something like $3k (I'd probably do 24 months as I'll probably only keep the car that long). The question is - is that a good idea on a car like this??

I'm considering offering them asking price, plus the warranty but they cover shipping the car to me in Colorado. If they bite on that I may move. But I'm not an extended warranty guy, in college I sold electronics on commission at Sears and know what a scam the extended warranties there were (I once sold an old lady a $150 warranty on a $170 VCR - yeah, I felt like a dick!)

Thoughts? Maintenance is the biggest thing that scares me with this car - just seems there is so much tech that could go wrong. I figure if one of the vents stops rotating that'll be $1k right there!

-Ross

Old 11-19-2014, 08:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I mentioned I seen and driven the car that your referring to. I would definitely buy that car and add a warranty. The car is very clean. I purchased the Lunar grey from them instead because of less miles. Really wanted the black on red though. Goodluck with the purchase.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ross, make sure you read the details of the warranty. Dont forget it's just an insurance policy and they will find a way not to cover a repair or may only pay for used or refurb parts. Most of the things that will go wrong with the car will not be covered under a regular drivetrain warranty. Rotating vent repair.....expect to pay much more that $1K. Leaking sunroof(common issue) $3K repair, bad water pump(common issue), bad fuel level gauge(replace entire fuel tank)...just FYI

Old 11-19-2014, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the quick info guys - if I do the warranty I'd do bumper to bumper, not just powertrain (as I'm not *that* concerned about that). I just spoke with my sister who is a finance manager at a huge Mazda dealer and apparently I could even buy the warranty from them (at her cost). She's going to check it all out for me in the morning.

Once I've sorted that I'll call the dealer and start the less-fun part of buying a car. I think it all comes down to how much they have in the car.

Oh, BTW do you have any idea how long they've had it? When did you get yours??

Old 11-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

I would get the warranty, but make sure you ask your local Jaguar dealer which warranty companies are good about covering issues. Then ask your sister to price those.

Also, if you look at the Carfax, it will tell you how long they have had it for sale.

I paid under $4K for my warranty and it covers me for 7 years from the date I purchased it or 100,000 miles. Haven't used it yet, but will soon for a supercharger coolant pump. So it's nice to have and I'll have the car until 2019 which makes it easier to justify over the years.

Pull the trigger and enjoy the dream!

Old 11-20-2014, 05:35 AM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

If possible try to get an "Exclusionary" Warranty from them as they are the best type of extended warranties

An Exclusionary policy will specifically state what is NOT COVERED!

The following users liked this post:
XJL (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 12:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, what he ^ said. I have one which covered a replacement motor and a few other parts as well.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 352 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyboy
Rotating vent repair.....expect to pay much more that $1K.
If you don't want to be ripped off by an extended warranty, just take it to an independent mechanic that is well known in the local Jag community.

Why? Because you can buy a brand new rotating vent for less than a $100 from discount dealers and it's about a 30 min job to replace one. Just just watch the YouTube video on replacing the dash. The vents come out very easily.

Dealer prices are ridiculous for any make.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely get the extended warranty! I have the same year and color combo....Mine is CPO and I would not have bought it if it wasn't. i have to bring it in now because of the electronic differential.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:54 PM

Well I put a deposit down on the car today and am working through the paperwork with them. They are saying that I may have to be there, in-person to sign things vs. using FedEx (I've bought several cars remotely before without issue) - so if they say I truly must fly in to sign things that'll kill the deal. Possible we could do it through my local dealer somehow but that's sure to get messy and expensive.

Anyone else buy a car from another state, sight unseen without this issue?

Old 11-21-2014, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 352 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by LotusExige
Well I put a deposit down on the car today and am working through the paperwork with them. They are saying that I may have to be there, in-person to sign things vs. using FedEx (I've bought several cars remotely before without issue) - so if they say I truly must fly in to sign things that'll kill the deal. Possible we could do it through my local dealer somehow but that's sure to get messy and expensive.

Anyone else buy a car from another state, sight unseen without this issue?
It's up to the dealer how they want to do business. I move on to the next one if they pull that crap. I have bought lots of cars from other states without ever stepping foot in those states.

But you should have asked that question right after saying "hello" to the sales rep on the phone.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
It's up to the dealer how they want to do business. I move on to the next one if they pull that crap. I have bought lots of cars from other states without ever stepping foot in those states.
I concur. Have bought cars from other states and never had to be there in person. Paper work was mailed to me signed and sent back via FedEx.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by kiddhan625
I concur. Have bought cars from other states and never had to be there in person. Paper work was mailed to me signed and sent back via FedEx.
Agreed I suppose I know now to bring that up right away, fortunately we're not super deep in the process. I did send them a very detailed offer this morning so if they can hit the number I'll do it - depending on this silly signature business. I just emailed to ask for a straight answer as I get "yes, it's required but we'll see". Ok, well let's see before we see about anything else. Silly that would kill a deal on a $33k car - this isn't a lot of money here....

-Ross

Old 11-27-2014, 11:21 AM
CP1
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I spent $5k on an extended warranty after factory warranty expired at 50k miles. Car is in shop now (67k miles) and the tab is over $5,000 already. I plan on keeping the car another 2 years so who knows what repairs are down the road.

I would never drive a high end car without having a warranty.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like you, I also don't believe in extended warranties, in general. However, this is a very custom car with a lot that can go wrong. I just bought one with 25k miles and went for the Jaguar 3yr 36k rather than opting for an aftermarket warranty. No problems yet, but like you said, only one problem will pay back the investment.

Let's hope neither of us need it. I'm curious from other owners what issues they've had that we recent owners should watch for.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:44 AM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

This has been a pretty reliable car all things considered, but my aftermarket warranty paid for itself within the first two months of ownership. There is a lot of expensive, complicated stuff that can go wrong on our cars...unless you like rolling the dice I'm not sure I would own this car without a long term warranty.