XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2010 XF 5.0 oil level

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 04:18 AM
les
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

There are some custom PID's for the Torque app' that might interest some of you, they include oil level readings. Here's a link; https://www.jaginfo.org/showthread.p...-temp-and-more

The following users liked this post:
mrNewt (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 08:59 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by les
There are some custom PID's for the Torque app' that might interest some of you, they include oil level readings. Here's a link; https://www.jaginfo.org/showthread.p...-temp-and-more
Well, this solves the "dip my stick" problem - thanks for sharing this and @Cambo for the tutorial .
This info should be sticky somewhere... unless is already there!

I got the PIDs working but didn't got to test them yet - at work .
One weird thing that I see from the screen shots Cambo provided, the level of the oil is measure in... mm!? Do they mean ml!?

Last edited by mrNewt; 03-01-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:01 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Milimetres. One tenth of a centimetre.

The level of the oil in the pan, it's a depth.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:18 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
Milimetres. One tenth of a centimetre.

The level of the oil in the pan, it's a depth.
So it measures the depth... make sense now - thanks!

Old 03-02-2019, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
A recent post in the F-Type forum about yet another dealership oil change over-fill prompted me to revisit this thread, and to try your idea.
A few months ago I bought an oil extraction vacuum pump for use on the F-Type, but I ran into two problems with it - none of the supplied tubes fitted tight enough to create a vacuum seal so I cobbled up a sealing plug, and the oil container level graduations turned out to be miles out, so that after I had sucked out an indicated 7.25 litres and refilled with fresh oil I found out it was about 3/4 of a litre overfilled. Turns out that when the container said 7.25 litres it was really only 6.5 litres so I had left .75 litres of old oil in the sump!
Anyway, one of the supplied suction tubes is pretty much exactly what you proposed, clear bendy plastic with an external diameter about 2/3 of the inner diameter of the car's oil extraction tube, easy enough to poke into the tube but not tight enough to create a vacuum seal.
I poked it in the extraction tube and it went a whopping 3 or 4 centimetres before it would go no further!
Huh, well thanks for being a guinea pig, and I'm sorry to hear it's a non-starter - I guess at this point we'll have to just trust the oil level sensor and check the level and change the oil regularly.

I can't help but feel that the sump would benefit greatly from some baffling work to avoid starvation under hard acceleration when the oil level gets too low (which is what causes the failures that have happened with this engine, mine included), but I'm certainly not the guy to design that, so at this point the best action anyone can take is making sure you know the oil level's good.

Last edited by davetibbs; 03-02-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Info about oil sensor attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lubrication System.pdf (286.8 KB, 81 views)