XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2010 XF: abrupt 2-1 downshift when stopping

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 05:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2010 XF: abrupt 2-1 downshift when stopping

2010 XF, 385hp, 46,600 miles.

Great car, but lately, car has an abrupt 2-1 downshift when coming to a stop. More noticeable with a warm engine.
Almost feels like the brakes are grabbing, but I've isolated it to the trans by using manual mode and controlling the downshifts.

Anyone else with this issue?

Old 07-27-2018, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

I've never had that issue but it's not uncommon on older XFs.
Two usual fixes - get the trans software re-flashed by a dealer and/or get the trans fluid flushed and renewed.
The re-flash will be cheaper and worth trying first as the trans fluid isn't due to be replaced until around 60,000 miles.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 352 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I've never had that issue but it's not uncommon on older XFs.
Two usual fixes - get the trans software re-flashed by a dealer and/or get the trans fluid flushed and renewed.
The re-flash will be cheaper and worth trying first as the trans fluid isn't due to be replaced until around 60,000 miles.
According to Jaguar, the oil is never due to be replaced.

But definitely change the oil and filter. It's not that hard, and when automatics start acting up, the first thing to do is change the oil and then go from there because they like clean oil.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
According to Jaguar, the oil is never due to be replaced.
Not so. (Though some dealers have failed to keep up with the situation - which changed many years ago.) You can see the schedule on the jag tech website.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Not so. (Though some dealers have failed to keep up with the situation - which changed many years ago.) You can see the schedule on the jag tech website.
If it's not printed in the user manuals, and the dealers are trying to talk anyone that wants a fluid change out of getting one because it's "filled for life," then basically Jaguar isn't telling anyone to change their transmission fluid, or diff for that matter. I did both.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:09 AM
Veteran Member

Most components that need service etc are not in the user manuals so that argument fails.

Only some dealers are ignorant of Jaguar's (and ZF's) recommendations about servicing the box. You can't say they're all like that. And it's definitely not Jaguar that say not to change the fluid - they have detailed schedules (of lots of things that some dealers get wrong).

It's simple: if it moves, has rubbing parts, etc then it needs periodic maintenance. Possibly the period is longer than the life of the car (as with many diffs), but not in this case. You're expected to use your brain a little, but many dealers don't seem to have one.

BTW there will be many things that are not mentioned in the non-user manuals but which need periodic attention - that's because these things are aimed at properly-trained techs/mechs who know that oils/greases/etc need attention some times. The front desk etc at a dealer is not staffed by such techs/mechs (not sure any part is at some of the dealers).

Last edited by JagV8; 07-30-2018 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

Most components that need service etc are not in the user manuals so that argument fails.

Only some dealers are ignorant of Jaguar's (and ZF's) recommendations about servicing the box. You can't say they're all like that. And it's definitely not Jaguar that say not to change the fluid - they have detailed schedules (of lots of things that some dealers get wrong).

It's simple: if it moves, has rubbing parts, etc then it needs periodic maintenance. Possibly the period is longer than the life of the car (as with many diffs), but not in this case. You're expected to use your brain a little, but many dealers don't seem to have one.

BTW there will be many things that are not mentioned in the non-user manuals but which need periodic attention - that's because these things are aimed at properly-trained techs/mechs who know that oils/greases/etc need attention some times. The front desk etc at a dealer is not staffed by such techs/mechs (not sure any part is at some of the dealers).
You're preaching to the choir. I change all my fluids despite the maintenance schedule, while most just change engine oil and consider themselves good owners for doing that, and then are surprised when other systems fail, like power steering pumps, brake calipers and master cylinders, diffs, transmissions, cooling system components like heater cores.

You have a lot more work to do to convince all the others owners and dealers that they need to be changed. Many will go to Jaguar (which is the dealer in this case as most owners are not talking to Jaguar corporate, or going to special websites) and will be told it's filled for life. So my original argument stands and is correct.

Asking the average owner, that can't even tell you where the transmission is located in the car, to think beyond what is in the maintenance schedule that they received with the car, or what the dealer is telling them, is patently absurd, so you live in some kind of La-La Land if you think otherwise.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 07-30-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:18 AM
Veteran Member

You again seem to say that all dealers say it is sealed for life - but they do not.

The average owner may be pretty clueless but also typically buys used and does not use the dealer network at all (due to its costs, inconvenient location, etc). They may well do better that way.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

You again seem to say that all dealers say it is sealed for life - but they do not.

The average owner may be pretty clueless but also typically buys used and does not use the dealer network at all (due to its costs, inconvenient location, etc). They may well do better that way.
Nope, you're wrong, I never said all of them.

I said: "You have a lot more work to do to convince all the other owners and dealers that they need to be changed."

That's not saying all the dealers. How did you score on standardized tests for reading and comprehension?

Old 08-01-2018, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

See your posts #1, #3.

I gather you did not mean "according to Jaguar" but rather "according to at least one dealer" - wow that's a lot different!

BTW, not news.

Last edited by JagV8; 08-01-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Experienced exact issue, wife was annoyed by the harsh downshift when stopping and I found myself constantly trying to drive the vehicle differently to prevent the harsh downshift.

I figured it was internal fluid pressure issue in transmission and was and am planning new filter and fluid change but after a visual inspection found the new transmission mount I replaced when performing engine mount replacement less than 3k ago has broken completely...

Might have something to do with the like 12 or more 0-120mph passes performed the day I brought her home after the major repair was complete hehe.

Non the less replaced with another new mount and harsh down shift is gone, more of a normal downshift with out the jurking there was with the broken mount.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-29-2018, 08:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chiming in

Originally Posted by Kenika65
Experienced exact issue, wife was annoyed by the harsh downshift when stopping and I found myself constantly trying to drive the vehicle differently to prevent the harsh downshift.

I figured it was internal fluid pressure issue in transmission and was and am planning new filter and fluid change but after a visual inspection found the new transmission mount I replaced when performing engine mount replacement less than 3k ago has broken completely...

Might have something to do with the like 12 or more 0-120mph passes performed the day I brought her home after the major repair was complete hehe.

Non the less replaced with another new mount and harsh down shift is gone, more of a normal downshift with out the jurking there was with the broken mount.

Hope this helps!
This is exactly what I was going to suggest. It's interesting how many "problems" (read: symptoms) arise when those motor mounts break (specifically the rear). The "harsh downshift" condition can be the motor rocking back and forth between gears while the engine brakes; the weight of the motor is fairly significant (likely around seven hundred pounds including transmission, since it's bolted directly to it).