XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2010 XF iPhone 6s integration ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts
Default 2010 XF iPhone 6s integration ?

Waiting (im)patiently for my 2010 XFR to arrive and have been trying to research the audio/phone options - figured someone out there already walked that path so please advise...

So there is a USB and an iPod interface according to the manual. For the iPhone 6s which has the lightning connector, should I use the iPod interface and cable with a 30pin->lightning adapter ? Or should I plug a lightning->USB cable into the USB slot ?

I assume, unlike CarPlay, phone connection is via Bluetooth rather than the cable. If I have my music "in the cloud" through streaming like Apple Music, Pandora etc, will that work via the iPod/USB cable or will the music files all actually need to be local on my iPhone?

Having had a Panasonic NEX deck in my Audi with CarPlay I'm going to miss that - I assume that the head unit in the Jag (as LR) being part of the general controls for the car climate etc isn't going to take kindly to attempts to replace it with a CarPlay enabled head unit. Anybody done any mad science projects along those lines ?

OK, that's enough questions for now. Any hints, tips, tricks or pitfalls to avoid gratefully received.

-- Stuart

Old 01-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

I have the same car as you (2010 XFR) but I don't have or use an iPhone so I can't help with that question. I do know that the previous owner kindly left an iPhone/iPod adapter cable in the car, the 30 pin > lightning adapter one, and it worked perfectly in the iPod slot with my son's iPod.
I use the USB port for all my music, I have about 500 mp3 tracks in folders by album on a USB3 64GB mini stick, and it works very well.
Only two minor hassles - I have to use the clunky centre touch screen to select or change folders, not very safe while driving, and whenever I pull the USB stick out to add more tracks the system has to "discover" the stick all over again, which entails doing things in the exact right order or it doesn't work.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 391 Posts

The 2010 models let you link phone to car via Bluetooth for calls. But don't support BT streaming music. But you can buy a BT steaming adaptor (eg Tune2Air which I use). Plug it into the iPod interface in the center armrest. Then you pair to the iPhone and whatever you play on the iPhone is streamed to the car. If you use Spotify you can skip tracks etc too using the radio / steering wheel controls

Other cheaper BT dongles available which don't give vehicle control and just plug into USB port. Search this forum for various reviews / debates on which is better

Good luck with the new car!

The following users liked this post:
stmcknig (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Thanks for the pointer on the Tune2Air. Can I plug the phone into the USB port to keep it charged while streaming to the BT connection ?

Old 01-08-2016, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
Thanks for the pointer on the Tune2Air. Can I plug the phone into the USB port to keep it charged while streaming to the BT connection ?
Not in my experience, no. There's not enough current supplied by the port. You're better off plugging a high current car charger (I recommend getting a good one, they're cheap enough off Amazon) into the 12v socket next to the USB port.