XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2010 XF not starting. Battery issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 XF not starting. Battery issue?

I tried starting my 2010 XF and all I got was a single click sound. All of my interior/exterior lights and radio worked fine but I could not get the vehicle to start. No lights were left on the night before. I attempted to jump it but still could not get it started. The car seemed to get a burst of energy and wanted to start but just would not turn over. Shortly after trying multiple attempts the car went crazy, flickering all the exterior lights and repeatedly sounding the horn as if it were alarming. The lights and horn deteriorated moments later almost being unnoticeable. Ultimately I ended up disconnecting the battery.

Does this sound like just a dead battery or something more? I did take the vehicle in last year for a "system upgrade" recall due to this vehicle model draining the battery when it's off for no apparent reason. Do Jag battery's only last 2 years? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited by finalfan7asy; 06-19-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:34 AM
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

maybe its the starter/alternator, it should still be under warranty right? Just have the dealership take care of it. TC

Old 06-20-2012, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by tc1728
maybe its the starter/alternator, it should still be under warranty right? Just have the dealership take care of it. TC
It's still under warranty. I'm planning on contacting the dealer today but I just wanted an idea of what to expect from them.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like the "system upgrade" may have glitched the computer system in the car.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

So did the motor crank at all when you jumped it?

Old 06-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

My 09 has the original battery with 70k miles on the clock. The previous owner drove it a lot and I hook up a Battery Tender on the weekends as I only drive it during the week and my office is only 4.5 miles from my house.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be just the battery. As for the life of a battery there are too many factors involved in how long it will last. Some last for many years while others only a few. When jumping the car using the instructions specified in the owners manual it would have to charge the dead or near dead battery in this case to an acceptable prior to attempting a start. The flashing/cycling of all the gauges etc should be the voltage was just at the point of not being able to support the basic system requirements. Hope this helps. Good luck

Old 06-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

It seems to be the battery. I have been monitoring mine and if I don't drive the car say a day or two voltage drops to 12.11 or less. According to battery specs good idle batteries should hold voltage close to or around 13V else your battery is slowly dying.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
So did the motor crank at all when you jumped it?
When I had the cables initially hooked up it cranked slightly (more than a click) but nowhere near wanting to turn over. I ended up having to call a tow the next day. We were able to eventually get it jumped but the gauges continued to go wacky. The tow guy then told me he’s towed a handful of newer Jags for what appears to be a battery issue.

Thankfully the tow guy was extra careful while hooking it up and loading it on the truck but the car did throw off some frightening noises.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

One of the jag techs on here said the electronics really load down the batteries on newer cars (not just the XF). It's possible the battery was on it's way out before you had that update and it got progressively worse until now when it gave out. Someone said the batteries are covered under the normal warranty so the dealer should replace it if your car is still under warranty.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
One of the jag techs on here said the electronics really load down the batteries on newer cars (not just the XF). It's possible the battery was on it's way out before you had that update and it got progressively worse until now when it gave out. Someone said the batteries are covered under the normal warranty so the dealer should replace it if your car is still under warranty.
I spoke with the service department and they told me the battery should be under warranty (including tow).

Looking at it in a different light, the "system upgrade" they did initially would not take. They told me the computer froze several times halfway through the install. I had to make multiple appointments, each lasting a full day until it finally took. I'm not sure if that had something to do with it, but then again, I do only drive the XF about 2-3 times a week totaling around 3 hours worth of drive time.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:26 PM

I just found out it’s not just the battery that’s dead but also my alternator. The service tech has not yet dug deep enough to figure out what caused this issue but he's preemptively pointing towards the computer as the source of the problem.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If your alternator is not charging then the battery will not get charged properly. In my case when I use a charge to charge the battery it only holds charge for a day or two...thus battery is to blame.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:18 AM

Got my XF back and praying all will be well. Thanks for the help!

Old 03-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

How did it all turn out?

Old 03-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Beech Bill
Should be just the battery. As for the life of a battery there are too many factors involved in how long it will last. Some last for many years while others only a few. When jumping the car using the instructions specified in the owners manual it would have to charge the dead or near dead battery in this case to an acceptable prior to attempting a start. The flashing/cycling of all the gauges etc should be the voltage was just at the point of not being able to support the basic system requirements. Hope this helps. Good luck
The state of the original battery is not affected by jumping. Any jumper cables are connected in parallel to the car battery and no current passes through the dead battery. Any charging happening would feed both the dead battery and the jumper battery simultaneously. The jumper battery cannot charge the car battery.

If the engine won't turn over with a jump from a known good battery then your problem is with the starter or its wiring. The alternator is never relevant to a fail to start except if it is the cause of the dead battery. A failed alternator will not prevent the engine from starting and running.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by wannajag
How did it all turn out?
Ultimately they only had to replace the bad battery. There was no alternator or computer issue. Apparently they did not hook the battery up right when they did their charge test but eventually they figured that out. Everything seems fine now thankfully.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
The state of the original battery is not affected by jumping. Any jumper cables are connected in parallel to the car battery and no current passes through the dead battery. Any charging happening would feed both the dead battery and the jumper battery simultaneously. The jumper battery cannot charge the car battery.
Not quite true. Connecting a fully charged jumper battery to a discharged battery is the same as connecting a battery charger to the discharged battery. The jumper battery will begin to charge the dead battery just like a battery charger. However, unless the charging vehicle is running, the two batteries will eventually end up in some equal state of discharge.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry S
Not quite true. Connecting a fully charged jumper battery to a discharged battery is the same as connecting a battery charger to the discharged battery. The jumper battery will begin to charge the dead battery just like a battery charger. However, unless the charging vehicle is running, the two batteries will eventually end up in some equal state of discharge.
Well, depends on the voltage state of the discharged battery. Unless it has a bad cell so that it cannot push back at 12 volts then 12 volts won't charge 12 volts. It doesn't matter how many amps might be left in the dead battery, just whether it has 6 cells at 2 volts each. A bad cell won't take a charge so, there is no way a jumper battery will charge a dead battery before the engine will start. How many times have I jump started a car in 40 years? Go ahead, ask me!

But, whatever, the point is that the state of the dead battery is irrelevant if you are jump starting the engine. If the engine won't jump start it isn't the battery. If it is the battery it doesn't matter how dead it is, the jumper battery will start the engine.

Finally, correct jump starting involves using the boosting car while the engine is running. The boosting car is charging both batteries simultaneously and, technically both batteries contribute current, if current is available and then only if the alternator on the booster car cannot deliver enough surplus current to start the dead car.

Last edited by jagular; 03-15-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:49 PM

Unfortunately, I’m continuing to experience the same issue with my XF after all this time. It’s seen the service center more than once and continues to sit dead in my garage. I made another appointment to have it serviced but this time I made an extra call to the manufacture. The manufacture informed me a "case" will be opened regarding my issue and that they will be connecting with my service center while it's being serviced. Additionally, they made mentioned about possibly buying back the title which made me nervous. Has anyone had problems with their Jaguar that initiated this type of response?

Quick Reply: 2010 XF not starting. Battery issue?