XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2010 XF Premium - Hesitation during initial acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 06:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 XF Premium - Hesitation during initial acceleration

Hey guys,

I have hesitation when in first gear accelerating from dead stop. I hear this is common with the diesel engines, but I have the NA 5.0 petrol.

I recently installed two K&N filters, which is when the problem started so I believe there is correlation. I'm wondering if the shop overoiled the filters, and if so, what can I do to remedy this?

I was thinking of doing a throttle body clean with Seafoam, cleaning off the MAF and installing OEM paper air filters. What do you guys think?

Old 05-06-2017, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Overoiled K&Ns is the most likely cause.
The excess oil coats the thin wires on the MAF sensors and stuffs up the way they work.
New K&Ns come pre-oiled in the box, a trap for young players is to spray more oil on them thinking they are dry, maybe this is what the shop did.
Your best bet is to clean the MAF sensors and then clean and re-oil the K&Ns.
The MAF sensors are a piece of cake to remove and clean.
Unclip the wiring connectors, undo two T20 Torx bolts on each, then remove them. Take them to your bench and spray the wires (two "sets" in each sensor) with MAF sensor cleaner (I use CRC brand) four or five times, leaving about 10 seconds between each application.
With cleaning the K&Ns, you don't need to use the "special" filter cleaner, ordinary household dish washing liquid works perfectly OK. Mix up a good dose of dish washing liquid in the sink, swish the K&Ns through a few times, then thoroughly rinse and dry.
Then re-oil, but lightly does it! Just two very quick sprays each side is plenty, and wipe off any excess on the edges with a MF cloth.

The following users liked this post:
jaguarmanxj8 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 07:21 PM

Thanks, Ozzy.

Would you recommend doing a throttle body clean, or do these cars have a special coating that prevents carb buildup?

I only have 34k miles on it, FYI.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:33 PM

Another question for you guys...
My engine does a minor "shiver" when going from reverse to drive...not sure if this is intended or a cause for concern?

Also, I have a "spring"-like sound when driving off initially on cold start....it only happens upon initial start-up and drive-off.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguarmanxj8
Thanks, Ozzy.

Would you recommend doing a throttle body clean, or do these cars have a special coating that prevents carb buildup?

I only have 34k miles on it, FYI.
The throttle body does get a bit gunked up after many miles, but it's not as bad as some and at 34k miles there should be minimal gunk. There is no coating that prevents build-up. At around 40k miles my old XFR had almost no build-up, but no harm giving it a clean out anyway, at least for your peace of mind that one more check has been done.

The following users liked this post:
jaguarmanxj8 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by jaguarmanxj8
Another question for you guys...
My engine does a minor "shiver" when going from reverse to drive...not sure if this is intended or a cause for concern?

Also, I have a "spring"-like sound when driving off initially on cold start....it only happens upon initial start-up and drive-off.
I should actually describe the sound as more of a "snap".

Old 05-06-2017, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
The throttle body does get a bit gunked up after many miles, but it's not as bad as some and at 34k miles there should be minimal gunk. There is no coating that prevents build-up. At around 40k miles my old XFR had almost no build-up, but no harm giving it a clean out anyway, at least for your peace of mind that one more check has been done.
Good to know. I appreciate your time, kind sir.