XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2010 XF Rear squeak, water sensor, rusty front brake pipes found, door locks sorted

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 06:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2010 XF Rear squeak, water sensor, rusty front brake pipes found, door locks sorted

For the last 6 months my wife XF has had a horrid squeak from the rear end and i’ve been to busy to look at it, well finally got around to a full service and sorting the squeak. While the car was up on axle stands I jacked each rear suspension wishbone and traced the niose to the left hand rear shock absorber, it’s creeked more the squeaked, with my hand on the spring I could feel the creeking, I was thinking it was the spring seats. So I decided the shock and spring had to come out. I removed the boot linings and then release the bolt at the bottom of the shock, I then put he jack under it and released the top. Having removed it, (very straight forward) I found the bottom joint completely frozen. These are a rose joints surrounded by rubber. I carefully removed the rubbers and found rust!. I put a large G clamp on it together with oil and got it moving. Having cleaned it up best I could and regreased it, it was nice and free. so i put the rubbers back on. Had to do this as I needed the car and no shops open to get a new joint. 2 joins now ordered and will replace in the next few weeks. But it did the job in the short term.

Good weekend, oil, filters, all brake pads, 2 door locks, and header tank ordered, 2 lower shock joints ordered.
Potentially Dangerous.. I found the front flexible brake pipe have steel end pipes, all ends were rusting, so they can’t have had the same protective coating as the pipe runs that are fine. So 2 more items to order for replacment soon as well.

The Low water sensor had been playing up for a while so time to look at that as well. The floats sinking, but the header tank can not be taken apart on the normally asspirated and the float can not be removed or reached, so a new tank ordered.. - stupid design. Note the sensor is a Hall effect, I.e. the float has a magnet and it’s a simple make contact when the water level is correct. I checked sensor with a magnet and a meter and it was working just fine. This senor can be removed without losing any water.

Also changed both left hand door locks which had started being intermittent, that’s 3 out of 4 that have now failed..

Glad it’s a long weekend

Happy Easter

Last edited by hoylegj; 04-01-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

That's an impressive list for a weekend. You saved yourself a small fortune in service costs...

Old 04-03-2018, 06:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks and yes, it was a 4 day weekend here in the Uk :-)