XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2010 XF Rubber Seals / Gasket Replacement for Sunroof, Roof, Doors

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 04:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 XF Rubber Seals / Gasket Replacement for Sunroof, Roof, Doors

I am worried about my ageing rubber roof seals as some appeared really dried out and old / grey this spring. Has anyone else had these replaced already?

I hadnt looked at the sunroof one especially until this week and now I can't stop thinking about it. I think the Canadian winters are responsible for the tiny cracks around the seal in the glass, but as whole, the Sunroof Rubber Seal is totally junk now, and Im worried the sunroof glass is too.

http://imgur.com/a/kUr1H

Additionally, there are a couple photos of the rubber door seals and how they are changing from oily black to grey in some areas. Is it worth it for me to have these replaced as well?

Lastly, I dont even know how it is possible, but I have a dead spider carcass in my passenger side headlight assembly. Thought I'd throw that in for fun.

Last edited by aubullion; 07-08-2015 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Changed Embedded Photos to hosted album
Old 07-08-2015, 05:47 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Amazon.com: Meguiar's M40 Mirror Glaze Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner & Conditioner - 16 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Meguiar's M40 Mirror Glaze Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner & Conditioner - 16 oz.: Automotive

This is what I use and it is awesome, I bought it for my STi due to no frame around the windows instead Subaru use rubber seals to seal the windows to the car. After a while they started to dry out and I could hear wind noise. After the first application the wind noise went away. The seals almost looked brand new on car that was seven years old.

I now use it on all of the door seals on the Jag our Edge and even the rubber seals on our vacuum.

The following users liked this post:
aubullion (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 06:45 PM

Thanks for the tip, I went ahead and ordered some to try on the door seals.

Im still concerned with the cracking/splintering in the glass perimeter of the sunroof though. Hoping someone else can better inform me of what I should do to remedy that.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 447 Likes on 393 Posts
Default 2010 XF Rubber Seals / Gasket Replacement for Sunroof, Roof, Doors

There were a lot of threads about noisy sunroof seals creaking about a year or so ago. Several people suggested a compound called SilGlide. I tried it and it was perfect on the sunroof seal which has been silent ever since (over a year) with no reapplication. May well do the same as the product you ordered already - but thought I'd mention

The small cracks are probably just in the surface lamination or tint on the sunroof. Not in the glass itself. So probably not an issue although if you are under warranty you may want to ask about replacement.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

The sunroof seal creaks due to dust. Clean off the dust where it contacts the painted steel and the creaking goes away for a while. My 2013 doesn't do this.

Door seals will last the life of the car. The set on my 1991 Alfa Romeo 164 are still factory original and doing their job.

To avoid freezing damage it helps to spray them with a silicone based lubricant once or twice a year. It hardly matters which one you use as long as it is suitable for plastics and synthetic rubber.

I use Aerospace 303 which I have found the most durable and effective. Even if you do nothing the seals will last indefinitely.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:43 AM

I actually dont have a creaking problem at all.

Im more so concerned about the cracking / chipping / deteriorating outer edge of the glass panel itself. THere are some good close up shots in the album that show the damage.

Im definitely game for cleaning and lubricating the rubber seals, but the damage to the surface of the outer edge of glass is unfixable and I worry that it will only get worse with exposure to temperature fluctuations in Canadian winters.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Your head lights are vented. That's how the little bugs get in there. The spider was after a meal.