XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2010 xfr pads & drilled / slotted rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 xfr pads & drilled / slotted rotors

help... time to do the brakes and want to REDUCE the brake dust (its INSANE), as well as bump up the look with (REASONABLE PRICED) drilled and slotted f/b rotors. i searched online but curious if someone out there has a super secrete place to purchase pads and rotors from?

i know you dont get something for nothing, just want to get "the best bang for the buck" as austin powers would say! stupid humor i know... thanks for the help in advance!!!

Chris

car= 2010 jaguar xfr w/ 31000k miles

Old 11-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Check out R1Concepts, pretty reasonable and I was told they start there process with Centric Rotors. That's probably the route I'm gonna go. They have the same OEM vane count and you can get slotted, cross drilled, drilled and slotted, or plain. They can be had for $500-$600 for front and rear.

The following users liked this post:
ttourign (01-10-2014)
Old 11-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Check out Zeckhausen Racing.

Zeckhausen Racing

I don't really like the Centric pads shown on the site, though. I much prefer StopTech Street Performance pads, though I don't know if they make them for the XFR. They are lower dust than OEM, but don't compromise stopping power like many low dust pads do (beyond the level of dust for the StopTechs, the lower the dust, the lower the braking performance, usually).

Old 11-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Spd
the lower the dust, the lower the braking performance, usually).
I will agree with that statement. I put EBC slotted rotors and Redstuff ceramic low dust pads on my former 07 XKR and had zero dust problems but the stopping power was also greatly reduced.

I'm now thinking of just getting my new aftermarket wheels powdercoated the same color as brake dust, that is what color my factory Draco wheels were.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:53 PM
Received 309 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Review my post in the "How To" section

Review this post and it will provide a lot of help.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ake-job-85582/

The brakes on the XFR and SC are the same. Not a fan of drilled or slotted unless your racing, because of squeaks. Ceramic pads are the way to go.

Last edited by edobernig; 11-12-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

Ceramic pads will eliminate the dust but, as noted above, stopping power is reduced. I'm not sure eliminating dust is worth reduced stopping power. The next time I need brakes I'll swap back to semi metallic pads and wax the rims to keep the dust off of them.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Received 309 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Maybe bleeding the system for the 2009 needed

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
Ceramic pads will eliminate the dust but, as noted above, stopping power is reduced. I'm not sure eliminating dust is worth reduced stopping power. The next time I need brakes I'll swap back to semi metallic pads and wax the rims to keep the dust off of them.
I never experienced any less stopping power from ceramic pads after installing on many different vehicles. There are many ultra-high performance brake parts available that are extremely expensive, however I don't go racing this car. I would grade my use as "normal" city and then highway/interstate driving in the range of 60-75 MPH.
Ceramic Pads are the way to go. The Total Brake job on my 04 XJ VDP and now my 2011 XF SC with ceramic pads work great and virtually no dust. Semi-metallic brake pads are more abrasive and wear rotors faster. I have found more rotor wear and brake dust using semi-metallic pads, not less rotor wear. Ceramic pads cause less rotor wear and less visible dust.

Since they were first used on a few original applications in 1985, friction materials that contain ceramic formulations have become recognized for their desirable blend of traits. These pads use ceramic compounds and copper fibers in place of the semi-metallic pad's steel fibers. This allows the ceramic pads to handle high brake temperatures with less heat fade, provide faster recovery after the stop, and generate less dust and wear on both the pads and rotors. And from a comfort standpoint, ceramic compounds provide much quieter because the ceramic compound helps dampen noise by generating a frequency beyond the human hearing range.

Another characteristic that makes ceramic materials attractive is the absence of noticeable dust. All brake pads produce dust as they wear. The ingredients in ceramic compounds produce a light colored dust that is much less noticeable and less likely to stick to the wheels. Consequently, wheels and tires maintain a cleaner appearance longer.

Ceramic pads meet or exceed all original equipment standards for durability, stopping distance and noise. According to durability tests, ceramic compounds extend compared to most other semi-metallic and organic materials and outlast other premium pad materials by a significant margin - with no sacrifice in noise control, pad life or braking performance.

Basically I think the evolution of ceramic pads is an engineering improvement over past materials and they don't eat rotors, they save them.

Based on my researching this subject I am using Ceramic Pads. On my 12' XJL Portfolio 5.0 it appears that the OEM pads are ceramic and maybe standard because I am not getting visible black dust on the rims. Again it can come down to personal preference. However, if there is a significant reduction in braking force no matter what the pad type, I would flush the brake fluid and re-bleed the entire system using the instructions in the "How To" section.

jaguny (11-12-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 11-12-2013, 03:17 PM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Just did a full brake job on my 09 XF for $860 all in

Power stop ceramic Pads - $101 from rock auto
Centric high carbon rotors - $425 from rock auto
Labor - $336

Total - $862

So far so good. Stopping power is decent and brake dust issue has been eliminated.
The $862 counts about $160 or so in shipping to canada. If I was in the lower 48 I assume I'd have been able to get the job done for $775 or so.

Dan11 (11-16-2013)