XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2010 xfr water through hood vents???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 09:20 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2010 xfr water through hood vents???

I wonder if anybody else has this problem everytime it rains heavily which it always does here in Florida it seems like the next day I have a check engine light that has something to do with the sensors and the exhaust left and right Bank anyway it takes about two days and then I noticed when everything dries the light goes away and never comes back so I'm wondering is this normal for all this water to be pouring into the engine compartment and wetting everything down everytime it rains I don't see anywhere the water can possibly Channel away from the engine so I'm just curious is this something that happens to everyone?

Last edited by Enzo Valetti; 07-17-2020 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:08 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I sympathise. We know a thing or two about here in England too.

The rain water should be directed out below the vehicle through drain tubes. If you have a sliding sunroof, these lead downwards on both sides via the A-pillar and B-pillar. The drain hoses can become clogged with leaves or dirt.

The front windscreen lower finisher is likely to have drain tubes or drain holes to direct rainwater from the glass away from sensitive electrical components. My XK has drain holes for this purpose and your XF is likely to be similar. Check for blockage.

Graham

Old 07-18-2020, 12:11 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default hood vents

Originally Posted by GGG
I sympathise. We know a thing or two about here in England too.

The rain water should be directed out below the vehicle through drain tubes. If you have a sliding sunroof, these lead downwards on both sides via the A-pillar and B-pillar. The drain hoses can become clogged with leaves or dirt.

The front windscreen lower finisher is likely to have drain tubes or drain holes to direct rainwater from the glass away from sensitive electrical components. My XK has drain holes for this purpose and your XF is likely to be similar. Check for blockage.

Graham
thank you for your reply but I'm talking about the supercharged hood vents on the actual front hood if the water goes through those it looks like it falls right into the engine bay without being drain to a certain area that is the mystery that I don't understand unless I'm missing some kind of drain piece

Old 07-18-2020, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

I don't know but my 2014 XJR also has hood vents and I have driven thru a lot of rain plus parked the car where it rained buckets on it.
I am on the Gulf coast in Texas.
I have never seen any problems but your right they are wide *** open to the weather.

Anybody else have this problem?

Old 07-18-2020, 06:25 PM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Enzo Valetti
thank you for your reply but I'm talking about the supercharged hood vents on the actual front hood if the water goes through those it looks like it falls right into the engine bay without being drain to a certain area that is the mystery that I don't understand unless I'm missing some kind of drain piece

Never have had any issues with water going into the hood vents. I have wondered about that though. Garage kept and maybe driven three times in the rain in the last year and no issues. Pretty sure I get more water in there from washing it then any rain could do. No drain piece Enzo.