XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2011 Coolant Level Low light on and got quote today from mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Coolant Level Low light on and got quote today from mechanic

2011 XF Premium with 65K miles.

Dashboard has been saying coolant level low. The reservoir tank shows full. I assumed it would be bad tank sensor or maybe tank needs replacement.

I went an indy shop I used before with good results and their diagnosis was that "front crossover pipe is leaking" and something about a "water jacket" having an issue and that if problem not fixed it all coolant could evacuate in 30 sec and ruin engine.

I am going to get a second opinion but wanted to check with you guys on your thoughts. Thanks

PJ

Old 11-16-2015, 09:55 PM
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Are you seeing any leaks? Hard to imagine that's the cause if you're not actually seeing leaks and the reservoir is staying full.
I just replaced my reservoir (comes with a new level sensor) as well as the upper hose that connects to it in about an hour. Mine's the 4.2 s/c, so there may be a bit of a difference to that.

Of course, one thing is that they may just be talking about something they see and are trying to prevent a failure. Maybe have them walk you through it in the shop so they can explain? It doesn't sound like they're trying to fix what you're seeing; they're probably talking about something they saw while looking into it.

The following users liked this post:
chekraze (11-18-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

It really is not rocket science to figure out if a crossover is leaking. I do agree that any suspect coolant leak that causes the low coolant light to come on should be treated as serious since apparently, from the reports on here, some folks cannot detect the smell that accompanies a massive coolant leak.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:53 PM

I agree. I told them I'm not interested in fixing that right now and just had them change battery and do oil change. After talking to someone else there after going to pick up keys he mentions sensor in reservoir tank is bad and it needs a new one. I say fine go ahead and replace it since that's what I originally thought problem was. That added another $289 to bill but I'm hoping that's the true culprit.

I'll keep an eye on the coolant level. But I'm now wondering if I should sell car and move on rather than have nagging doubts.

I did have couple other questions for you:

1. If there was a leak at the crossover what would I notice? I do know what coolant smells like. And I'm assuming reservoir tank volume would drop. Mechanic said a small leak gathers on a pan and would only show itself if car was parked on an incline.

2. Do these 5.0L engines have a history of coolant problems that lead to catastrophic engine damage? And is there any temp guage that would warn of impending disaster.

3. Does this sound like it's worth going to get a second opinion on?

Thanks again

Old 11-18-2015, 10:10 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Hi, I'm gonna butt in and answer some of your concerns...

The coolant smell is quite obvious with even the smallest of leaks..I park my XF in the garage and I had a minute leak at my water pump and I could smell it as soon as I walked in front of the car...(since then, the pump has been replaced and no more smell)..So if your coolant level is constant, you have nothing to worry about, just keep an eye on the reservoir tank level once in a while (be sure to top it off with Jaguar coolant mixed 50/50 with distilled water as this may be required after the tank replacement)...So many coolant system problems can be thwarted if only distilled water was used instead of tap water..and dealers are just as bad as anybody else, as they use tap water too, to save a few pennies...

I recently drained my entire coolant system and refilled with JAG coolant and distilled water (I took a couple of gallons to the dealer when they replaced my water pump)..I had a feeling the original coolant was mixed with tap water, which could've caused the pump to fail prematurely along with possible scaling of the internals passages of the engine and radiator.

Jaguar in their infinite wisdom decided to omit a Water temp gauge for us and replaced it with an idiot light or message telling the driver the coolant is low or over temping..in either case unless you shut down IMMEDIATLEY, the engine with crater....Some have concluded that we Jaguar owners today are too stupid to interrupt a gauge and recognize an over temp condition.

If you are concerned about the crossover pipe..get it replaced soon and that will eliminate most of the cooant system's issues with this engine style.

Other than that, I wouldn't sell off too soon..you won't find this massive and beautiful 5.0 V8 in the newer Jags, unless you pay a pretty penny for the SC'd models.

Last edited by DPK; 11-18-2015 at 10:12 AM.
chekraze (11-18-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 11:15 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by chekraze

I'll keep an eye on the coolant level. But I'm now wondering if I should sell car and move on rather than have nagging doubts.
Any car is subject to having technical issues. Your next car is bound to have them, possibly worse than this one (minor) issue.

1. If there was a leak at the crossover what would I notice? I do know what coolant smells like. And I'm assuming reservoir tank volume would drop.
Yes, you would notice and yes the tank level would drop. That's the value of the low coolant warning indicator.

2. Do these 5.0L engines have a history of coolant problems that lead to catastrophic engine damage? And is there any temp guage that would warn of impending disaster.
Any modern and most old school engines will fail catastrophically if operated without coolant. Prompt action on the owner's part when the gauges/lights indicate a problem would avoid 99% of the failures. There's almost a steady stream on this site of owners who chose to ignore the warnings, kept driving and paid the price. Can't blame the car for that kind of abuse going on.

3. Does this sound like it's worth going to get a second opinion on?

You can either learn and DIY or pay someone else for their knowledge. Most people come here to DIY.

sparkenzap (11-19-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by DPK

Other than that, I wouldn't sell off too soon..you won't find this massive and beautiful 5.0 V8 in the newer Jags, unless you pay a pretty penny for the SC'd models.
You're so right. it's intoxicating every time I press the pedal. If only I could get the handling to match the engine output.