XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2011 Jag XF wouldn't start when temp hit 30 degres

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 Jag XF wouldn't start when temp hit 30 degres

I live in southwest USA. temp hit 30F overnight, I had it in the garage. Car wouldn't start in the AM. What pure junk.. . Love the car, but I guess the famous Jag reliability kicks in. I had a 99 Acura TL covered with 3 feet of snow and I didn't drive it for 2 weeks, it started up right away.

I also noticed that the LCD screen and air vents were slow to come on with a delay on start up over the past day or two.

At least there the Jag service seems reasonable, although the Jag dealer said no technicians came in today because of the ice storm.

I'm going to get it started by Jaguar Roadside assistance and then have it towed to the dealer tomorrow. I'm assuming it's a dead battery. Way to leave me in a lurch Jag!

Old 02-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My car is on it's way through a second winter with consistently much lower temeperatures and starting has never been a problem. Your battery may not be charged up, so the key is get out and drive it for longer distances before putting it away.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I have to agree with Le Chef here. I live in Austin (where it is considerably warmer than Chicago, generally) and the car has stood out during office hours for about 3 days where the maximum temp was 26 deg F and my XF started without issue.

I too keep my XF in the garage, when at home, but my garage never gets below about 42 deg F. Again, the car has started without issue.

Apart from the dim display issue (addressed in a topic on this bulletin board), I have not seen any issues. Le Chef's advice seems spot on, you probably have either a faulty battery or it was not fully charged, in which case you may have other problems.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesman78
I live in southwest USA. temp hit 30F overnight, I had it in the garage. Car wouldn't start in the AM. What pure junk.. . Love the car, but I guess the famous Jag reliability kicks in. I had a 99 Acura TL covered with 3 feet of snow and I didn't drive it for 2 weeks, it started up right away.

I also noticed that the LCD screen and air vents were slow to come on with a delay on start up over the past day or two.

At least there the Jag service seems reasonable, although the Jag dealer said no technicians came in today because of the ice storm.

I'm going to get it started by Jaguar Roadside assistance and then have it towed to the dealer tomorrow. I'm assuming it's a dead battery. Way to leave me in a lurch Jag!
Its not just Jag reliability. Many new cars with a lot of electronic gadgets fail to run in cold weather. The batteries just don't seem to be able to handle it.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:24 PM

A lot of newer cars run "systems" even when the car is supposed to be switched off. A friend had his 5 Series parked, locked and shut down in his garage but when a call came in on his cellphone it would wake up the car's bluetooth system and he would hear the call over the car's hi-fi system. You should also keep keyless entry car keys out of radio range as they will also keep the car "awake". Go figure.

The most sensible thing to suggest is to put your car on a trickle charger if you;re not driving it reasonable distances on a regular basis.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

So far, I've hadn't had a problem with my car starting after sitting for long periods of time, Although I do let her run for while after about a week or so since its been this cold. I have noticed that if I open the door but dont start it or relock the car, The screen saver stays on for a long period of time. The interior lights shut down in a normal amount of time. After a while the screen saver cuts off but when I enter the car to start it, The low battery warning sign appears on the center display for a short time then goes out. Maybe the display helps drain the battery faster when it sitting in cold temps. What I do now, is cut on the radio and cut it off. This kills the screen saver as well as hit the interior lights when I'm cleaning, working on the car, or if I am not planning on locking her in the garage. Since I purchased my XF, The battery level has always sat in the back of my mind. I guess I just don't trust a battery in the trunk.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

I have no problem starting mine down below minus 20C (about -10F) so you have a battery problem.

A number of UK owners reported battery issues. Apparently there may be a fault which keeps the ICE active even though the car is shut off which drains the battery.

Also, I think that the key fob may need to be kept some distance away from the car to prevent the car and the key from talking to each other.

My XF has also been as reliable as any Lexus.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No problem with 2009 or 2010 XF starts in cold weather (20-30F) after being left out all night.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:59 PM

I wonder what the outcome was. Was it really the blues that made the OP see red?

Old 03-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry my friends. The rest of the story is:

I called Roadside assistance, they came and jump started my car right away. The guy that came told me a lot of XF failed in the cold, he jump started about 10 that day. Drove the car to the dealer, and he replaced the battery on the spot.

Was very happy with service, but very unhappy with the failed battery. I don't think they build cars like my 99 Acura TL these days (not even Acura builds them that way anymore).

Currently the only beef I have with my Jag are:

1) Sometimes when I start up, it just stays in the Jaguar Screen. Touch screen disabled
2) Sirius sometimes aquiring signal for 30 minutes or more, never seen that in any other car I've used sirius in.

Needless to say, I love the car, however, I will probably not be buying a Jag (or any other European car) again.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:09 AM

I'm very surprised that the tow guy found 10 Jaguars - they're not e actor the most common of imports. With the amount of electronics in cars these days battery drain is a fact of life whether your car's a domestic or import. The solution is to drive it farther and more often.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef
... The solution is to drive it farther and more often.
I'm doing my part!!

My wife says I deliberately do things to extend my seat time in the XF. I always plead no contest.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesman78

Needless to say, I love the car, however, I will probably not be buying a Jag (or any other European car) again.
I'd say that you'd be equally disappointed with any new car no matter what brand or country of origin.