XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2011 Jaguar XF best mods.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question 2011 Jaguar XF best mods.

Hi !
Id like to give my jag a bit more aggressive attitude. Anyone done any type of mods appearance or performance that they would highly suggest ? Id not like to void warranty with any mod. A price for each mod would be highly helpful.
Thanks !

Old 01-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure how your car looks now, but some easy visual mods for "aggressive attitude" are window tint, blacked out chrome and grilles, and maybe a lip spoiler on the trunk. I also believe modestly lowering the car gives it a notably more aggressive stance. (Mina's are perfect.) The best (but most expensive) visual mod is new wheels, which can absolutely transform the look of a car from pedestrian to sinister. My two cents.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

H&R wheel spacers, 15mm front, 20mm rear will bring the wheels out for a considerably more aggressive look, wider track and noticeably improved cornering. It works on my 2012 XF so, I assume it would work on the 2011, as well.

Albert

Old 01-12-2014, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by TMack
Not sure how your car looks now, but some easy visual mods for "aggressive attitude" are window tint, blacked out chrome and grilles, and maybe a lip spoiler on the trunk. I also believe modestly lowering the car gives it a notably more aggressive stance. (Mina's are perfect.) The best (but most expensive) visual mod is new wheels, which can absolutely transform the look of a car from pedestrian to sinister. My two cents.
My windows are tinted personally I think the chrome goes with a white Jag with black tints. DO u know the cost of the minas for lowering the car ?? I am considering putting 21' vossen wheels right after the winter is gone ?
Thanks

Old 01-12-2014, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by axr6
H&R wheel spacers, 15mm front, 20mm rear will bring the wheels out for a considerably more aggressive look, wider track and noticeably improved cornering. It works on my 2012 XF so, I assume it would work on the 2011, as well.

Albert
Do u have pics ??

Old 01-13-2014, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ajay Mann
Do u have pics ??
Yes and No.

I have a link and pictures of the spacers (Excellent quality, made in Germany), but no pictures of my car. Since I am away from home and driving my XJL, no way to snap a picture. The spacers will simply move the wheels/tires OUT to an aggressive stance that is very much noticeable for the difference they make. Even my wife noticed it positively where she usually does not pick up on minor visual changes.

H&R Wheel Spacers For Jaguar Cabrio 2007-up 20mm (4035633)

I had used these on my '08 XK before I traded that car and they work fine on the XF, as well.

Albert

The following users liked this post:
Ajay Mann (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 10:20 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Also, some xj wheels will have the same effect as spacers, at least the ones I am using. I bought a pair of split 5 spoke xj wheels and they just transformed the look of the car.

Other mods I recommend include the mina rear diffuser and grill-too much chrome for me with the stock one. I am also a big fan of the mina exhaust tips. The exhaust, itself, is a little loud for my taste though but is an otherwise quality peice.

Ajay Mann (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

21s are a very bad idea, unless you don't mind replacing blown tires once a month or throwing the wheels out of shape.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:05 PM

A lot of the cars have 20" how is 21 " more trouble ??

Old 01-13-2014, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by caviarjag
Also, some xj wheels will have the same effect as spacers, at least the ones I am using. I bought a pair of split 5 spoke xj wheels and they just transformed the look of the car. .
I had also traded wheels between my XF and XJL. The XJL rear wheels with the 275 wide tires do indeed come out to the fender-edge on the XF, just like the stock XF wheels WITH the spacers.

The front XJL wheels and tires still needed a 15mm spacer, IMO, on the XF.

Albert

Old 01-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member

You loose an other 0.5 inch tire sidewall with the 21s over the 20s. That means that potholes will have an even easier time to dent and bend the rims, as not enough tire sidewall height exist to protect them. IMO, you need a good min. 110mm sidewall to fairly safely avoid rim damage from road hazards. A 245/40 tire will have 98mm sidewall. A 245/35 will have 86mm sidewall. That would be the typical difference between a 20 and 21" wheel/tire combo, assuming that you wish to maintain stock factory tire diameters. 20" is already on the edge when it comes to rim damage protection. Lots of owners of 20" wheels report rim damage. 21 would make it considerably worse, with far higher chances for damages.

Also, 0.5" less tire sidewall = less tire flex, = harder ride.

Albert

The following 3 users liked this post by axr6:
Ajay Mann (01-14-2014), Executive (01-14-2014), WRXtranceformed (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 08:24 AM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

FWIW I bent one of the stock 20" wheels on my XFR after hitting a pothole near the airport. Also broke a tie rod! Granted it was a bad pothole that was very difficult to see at night. Some good advice has been given about bumping up to 21"s.

I distinctly remember being at a tuner shop a few years ago and seeing a Range Rover on 24"s or 26"s or something sitting in the lot with a flat tire. The owner of the shop said the guy is back in there every other week getting his tire fixed. Doesn't seem like a fun trade off to have big wheels.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

As already stated by Albert, 20" wheels are almost just as prone to damage.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:35 PM

Thanks guys for the feed back so Id be going with 19' chrome wheels with 35 side wall tires and lowering the car a bit. Any one lowered the car yet ?? whats the cost ?? any products up for suggestion

Old 01-14-2014, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys for the feed back so Id be going with 19' chrome wheels with 35 side wall tires and lowering the car a bit. Any one lowered the car yet ?? whats the cost ?? any products up for suggestion
Jaguar XF lowering springs Mina for Jaguar XK8 XKR

These springs claim 1.2" lower stance, which is, IMO, the correct amount of lowering for the XF. Our XF is my wife's car so, she has no use for lowering. Generally people who use Mina springs report significant improvements in the handling of the car. Lowering the center of gravity generally produces improved feel. Too much lowering, such as 2" or more, can be detrimental, however. I would still call Mina and ask them exactly how much stiffer these springs are when compared to the stock ones. Generally going 20 percent stiffer is a good value to go for. Anything more than 30 percent stiffer could lead to very harsh ride.

Be sure to have your car re-aligned after the lowering.

Albert

Ajay Mann (01-16-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

Good choice with the wheel size.

You can also go for H&R as it seems they make springs for the XF as well. 2010 Jaguar XF w/ H&R Springs, ADV1 Wheels, QuickSilver Exhausts and Michelin Tires - 6speedonline.com Forums

Ajay Mann (01-16-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 07:41 PM

Jaguar XF lowering springs Mina for Jaguar XK8 XKR

These springs claim 1.2" lower stance, which is, IMO, the correct amount of lowering for the XF. Our XF is my wife's car so, she has no use for lowering. Generally people who use Mina springs report significant improvements in the handling of the car. Lowering the center of gravity generally produces improved feel. Too much lowering, such as 2" or more, can be detrimental, however. I would still call Mina and ask them exactly how much stiffer these springs are when compared to the stock ones. Generally going 20 percent stiffer is a good value to go for. Anything more than 30 percent stiffer could lead to very harsh ride.

Be sure to have your car re-aligned after the lowering.

Albert
I went with Mina because the spring rates match the stock spring rates. You don't want to run stiffer springs on the stock dampers and, unfortunately, there are virtually no aftermarket options for stiffer dampers. (If there were, I would have gone with H&R springs for tighter handling.) Remember, stiff springs on soft dampers equals a bouncy and potentially dangerous ride.

Ajay Mann (01-16-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

I went with Mina because the spring rates match the stock spring rates. You don't want to run stiffer springs on the stock dampers and, unfortunately, there are virtually no aftermarket options for stiffer dampers. (If there were, I would have gone with H&R springs for tighter handling.) Remember, stiff springs on soft dampers equals a bouncy and potentially dangerous ride.
Could you give a short review for your experience with the new springs?

Handling improvement?
Ride quality?
Did you actually measure the total difference in ride height?
Did you have an alignment done after the lowering? If so, what camber values were left on the rear wheels (non adjustable camber)?

Generally, lowering springs are higher rate (stiffer) to prevent bottoming at the reduced damper travel. I agree with Mina and you by not wanting to increase the spring rates, as IMO, the springs are stiff enough already. If you want tighter handling you have to convince an aftermarket manufacturer to make a much larger rear sway bar to replace that ridiculously small 0.55" rear sway bar. For the life of me, I can not figure out why Mina and others will not offer one.

Albert

Old 01-17-2014, 09:39 PM

Could you give a short review for your experience with the new springs?

Handling improvement?
Ride quality?
Did you actually measure the total difference in ride height?
Did you have an alignment done after the lowering? If so, what camber values were left on the rear wheels (non adjustable camber)?

Generally, lowering springs are higher rate (stiffer) to prevent bottoming at the reduced damper travel. I agree with Mina and you by not wanting to increase the spring rates, as IMO, the springs are stiff enough already. If you want tighter handling you have to convince an aftermarket manufacturer to make a much larger rear sway bar to replace that ridiculously small 0.55" rear sway bar. For the life of me, I can not figure out why Mina and others will not offer one.

Albert
Sure thing. The car rides extremely well on the Mina's. Not night and day from stock, but noticeably more "planted". I had it aligned after letting the springs settle for a week. (I'll try to find the spec sheet but am traveling currently.) Cosmetically, the car looks fantastic. Not at all slammed looking, but a more athletic stance for sure. FYI the springs were around $400 and it cost me another $250 for installation. I'll post some pix once I get my new wheels on.

axr6 (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Sure thing. The car rides extremely well on the Mina's. Not night and day from stock, but noticeably more "planted". I had it aligned after letting the springs settle for a week. (I'll try to find the spec sheet but am traveling currently.) Cosmetically, the car looks fantastic. Not at all slammed looking, but a more athletic stance for sure. FYI the springs were around $400 and it cost me another $250 for installation. I'll post some pix once I get my new wheels on.
Hmmm.... tempting to do the lowering on our (my wife's) '12 XF. If I could only convince her that she needs it... I think she has a total of about 3K miles on the 1 year-old car.

I would very much like to see the alignment specs, if you could, please.

Thanks,

Albert

Quick Reply: 2011 Jaguar XF best mods.