XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2011 Jaguar XF v. 2007 Maserati Quattroporte - for the championship!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Jaguar XF v. 2007 Maserati Quattroporte - for the championship!

After months, it's down to these two contenders!

In the near corner, wearing black and weighing in at 42,000 miles is uptown QP! No warranty here folks , but no duo transmission either.

In the far corner, wearing grey and weighing in at 25,000 miles is downtown XF! 50,000 mile super-warranty in the boot!

This is a 2 week bout with a must-buy at the end rule. Let's get it on!

Old 09-18-2012, 11:04 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I appreciate your enthusiasm. It'll be a tough choice for sure. If you are looking for opinions, it was well covered in this thread...
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rati-qp-74607/

Please keep us informed of your decision.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I mean it all depends. For me peace of mind and useability (sp?) were key. I was facing the same decision and had the same conclusion that Jag and Maser were the contenders! Everything else was either too much to maintain or there were a million of them on the road...

I wanted a car that was somewhat exclusive so I wasn't driving the same MB/Audi/BMW as everyone else. But I didn't want the annual maintenance expense of the Ferrari.

From what I found the '08 and back Maser's are not too far off from the Ferrari from a maintenance perspective... Now I was looking at a Gran Sport - so it had similar components. QP is a little better, but not much.

Check out Maseratilife.com - great site w/ all those details...

IMO - I would choose the Jag unless you can move up a couple of Model Years in the QP

But this is a tough call - especially when you sit in the Maserati and have your senses feel all that Italian-ness!

Either way, you're going to have a different car that not too many folks have and love it every time you get in...

Old 09-23-2012, 06:53 PM

Thanks for replies.

Just to see, I test drove the Audi a6 today . Nothing wrong with it but... Boooooooring. Just nothing really standout to me except the LEDs and the navigation system- nothing that I really care about. Knockout!

Old 09-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

You don't want an Audi. The interiors are full of plastic and cheap.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
That is a pretty broad statement. All the Audi's I have owned have set the bar for interiors in my opinion. My XF is nice but the interior is not Audi quality. Have you been in a new A8?

Old 09-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Get the Jag. Audi is whack and so is the Maserati. Jag is better night and day.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Executive
The wood grain in the Audi was the nicest I've seen. It was all tidy. It's gunning towards "hitech" coolness but it just all left me bored. The jag has the lines on the hood,etc. it has a character that the Audi is missing. The Audi had a couple of cheap pieces but I didn't feel that was the problem...

Old 09-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

I worked for Roger Penske's Maserati Dealer and I can tell you those QP's are huge pile's of junk!!! The new Gens are much better but still visit service way to often.
The Jags have some issues but at least stay on the road longer between visits over all the QP's.
Buy a QP for the status, look, sound, and the cheap price when buying used. Otherwise steer clear of those things.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cwood
That is a pretty broad statement. All the Audi's I have owned have set the bar for interiors in my opinion. My XF is nice but the interior is not Audi quality. Have you been in a new A8?
I sat in few models at the car show in Manhattan and wasn't impressed.
Never been in an A8 though - just check with pictures online, they have come long way. They have a nice price tag too, about $80,000. I would take an S class over it or the XJ.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:45 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Whenever there is a Jaguar XF v. (insert car here), on this forum, how many people ever pick the Jaguar?

Old 09-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I think I said this in the other thread, Buy what you like and you will be happy, if you need a forum to pick your car, you may not be as happy. Good luck on your search. I used to have a QP, and I still miss it sometimes, but the cost of ownership was getting a bit out of hand. TC

Old 09-25-2012, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by tc1728
I think I said this in the other thread, Buy what you like and you will be happy, if you need a forum to pick your car, you may not be as happy. Good luck on your search. I used to have a QP, and I still miss it sometimes, but the cost of ownership was getting a bit out of hand. TC
I wouldn't say I need a forum, I'd say that getting there is half the fun.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Default Knockout - Jaguar!

Well, it was back and forth there for a couple months. Allllmost pulled the trigger on a 2009 Maserati - but just couldn't do it for some reason. I am not that big a car-guy and didn't want any car to become anywhere near the center of my world. And although I can afford $1k oil changes, I am cheap by nature and the thought makes me slightly nauseous.

Then, test-drove a 2012 XF. Loved it.

Then, saw a 2012 Portfolio stratus grey (CPO) for sale within driving distance and negotiated what seemed an awesome deal. Under warranty until 2018 with only 4,500 miles. $41.5k?

I was there.

Very happy so far. Drives great and I wouldn't really change anything about the way it looks. Going to get windows tinted pretty soon (live in Florida - pretty much required). Will post pics when I can but looks JUST like this:

Cars for Sale: 2012 Jaguar XF Portfolio in Winter Park, FL 32792: Sedan Details - 326318663 - AutoTrader.com

Thanks all for your input.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by cwood
I think this may have been the case with past audi's. They are riding on their reputation in my opinion. The A8 may be the exception. The current a6 and a7 interior don't measure up to my xf sc. The A6 interior looks disjointed to me. My favorite Audi is the S5 but not because of the interior. I like the Q5 also but as a family car.

Last edited by jaguny; 12-28-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same decision but went for the XF. The Maserati QP looks a big old unless you are going for the new model. Better to buy an almost new XF since the model is up to date and looks the biz. The QP looks to box like for me even though the engine may be bigger but I've heard so many problems with the older model. Not worth the hassle.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by XFFan
I had the same decision but went for the XF. The Maserati QP looks a big old unless you are going for the new model. Better to buy an almost new XF since the model is up to date and looks the biz. The QP looks to box like for me even though the engine may be bigger but I've heard so many problems with the older model. Not worth the hassle.
I know the running lights are controversial but I love them on the XF and it screams "new car" to me. I love it. Agree the Maserati is showing its age plus the new model is coming out soon - will make it look that much older.

Getting windows tinted Friday.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Make no mistake, the Quattroporte is a stunning car. However, for the money buy the Jaguar!

Old 12-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Hogan
I know the running lights are controversial but I love them on the XF and it screams "new car" to me. I love it. Agree the Maserati is showing its age plus the new model is coming out soon - will make it look that much older.

Getting windows tinted Friday.
Congrats on the XF!

I love the QPs, but the new model i am disappointed with. The exterior just looks terrible.