XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2011 Jaguar XFR

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Jaguar XFR

Hey guys,

I've been poking around the forum a bit and you seem like a great group. I'm really struggling with a decision here, so I was hoping to get some insight. I realize there might be some confirmation bias here, but that's okay.

I'm currently driving a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT. It's a great car, and when I bought it was a bit of a stretch for me. It's been fantastic though, and I have never regretted the purchase. With that said, there are a few issues with the design in general (slow shifts, sensitive to wheel vibration, rattles in the interior), and after a few years it's time to move on. In the meantime my income has increased substantially, and I'm taking a look at my 'dream' car, which has been the Jaguar XFR since the day it came out.

The listing I'm considering is here:

https://www.dlsaccelerator.com/webas...tocknum=P13037

In service date is Sep 2011, so there's 2.5 years of factory warranty left. I've gotten them to come $1k down on the price and cut a point off my interest rate. Their offer for the G8 on trade is excellent (60% of what I paid three years ago). The configuration is more or less exactly what I want, other than the ivory interior which isn't what I'd pick though I don't mind it.

This is a great car. Low miles, properly configured for my needs (i.e. adaptive cruise), good exterior colour and lots of warranty, for a used car. With this said, I could probably wait six months or so and go for a new one on lease instead.

I would prefer to save money, and with 16,000km on it this seems like a great candidate. The used one would clearly be cheaper overall, but I'm also pretty risk averse.

I know nobody can make this decision for me, but I'd love to hear input on what owning an out-of-warranty XF is like, particularly in a Canadian climate. Am I going to get crushed under maintenance costs as soon as it comes out of warranty? What have your experiences been? Should I wait and go for the new one, at a higher cost?

Old 03-23-2014, 08:04 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good choice on the XFR. I love that model but unfortunately was not in my budget. I ended up getting a 2011 xf supercharged. Similar performance to the xfr but without the body kit. As far as warranty, how long do you plan on keeping the car? If more than 4 years I would strongly recommend an extended warranty. They are fairly reliable vehicles but if something does go wrong they are extremely expensive to repair. I like the 2011 models because of the platinum warranty. The only reason to go for the 2012 model is for the updated exterior styling and infotainment center because I don't think you'll get too much additional warranty. Anything besides 2011 models only had 4yrs/50k miles vs 5yrs/50k miles for the 2011 along with the platinum warranty. As for using your car during winter, you definitely need a set of winter tires for this car. Good luck with everything, u'll definitely enjoy the car. I love my 2011 xf s/c.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:17 PM

Is the extended warranty something I can buy from the dealership? I was under the impression that the Select Certified program capped out at six years (so it would be an extra year only after factory).

Did you get an extended warranty?

Old 03-26-2014, 09:58 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Well?

Did you buy it? I don't see a low mileage XFR on the site? I got one with 23K miles and it was / is a great car. If you got it, take it to your dealer and get to know the service advisor.. Ask them to look the car over.

Mine has been relatively trouble free (if I will keep the wheels off the curb) and is a hoot to drive. I've tricked/pimped/tuned mine and it loves to run.

Good luck..

Old 03-27-2014, 09:08 AM

I did buy it, though I haven't picked it up yet. I'm buying it directly from a Jag dealership, and it's being checked out as we speak. The extended warranty question was moot, since it's the model has the five year warranty, and I guess they don't go to six years up here.

Should be picking it up later today.

And I'm glad to hear of people like yourself who have had good experiences. I tend to pretty ****-retentively look after my cars. Hopefully that helps it live a long life

Old 03-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Congrats on the purchase, you'll love it.

Hope you get to go out and take it on a joy ride before the rain hits later today (I'm in Hamilton so fairly close).

Old 03-27-2014, 03:37 PM

Yar, turns out I'm waiting until late tomorrow or Saturday. They decided to put new tires on it as the current ones were borderline on their 'at least 50%' policy. I also talked them into including a set of snows!

So yay new tires, boo waiting for another couple days.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 390 Posts

Congratulations - I'm certain you'll love the car. I have a 2010 XF SC (so same engine, suspension etc) and it has been wonderful. No big issues at all. There are a few little niggles but others on the forum here have been v helpful in sorting them out (e.g. rattling sunroof) - so if you notice anything then definitely post here.

Great that you negotiated the snow tyres - they are pretty impt (read essential) to drive in heavy snow - I've used mine 2 seasons now and they have been terrific. It gets around in snow really well. They are expensive for the 20inch wheels so you got a good deal!

Looking forward to seeing pictures and your impressions once you get to take it out.