XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2011 XF 5.0 Frustration

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2011 XF 5.0 Frustration

I have found this forum and hope to get some quality and honest input from other owners.

I have a 2011 XF 5.0 and love it! One of the most fun vehicles I have ever driven/owned. No issues with the vehicle other than routine maintenance. UNTIL..... 2 weeks after the warranty expired, and here is a list of issues I have had since.

1. Replace Water Pump - $2,000
2. Replace Throttle Body - $1,200
3. Transmission Jerking upon complete stop when in automatic mode - no idea of cost yet, currently in the shop for this now.
4. Driver door lock assembly and handle malfunction $1,000
5. Replace front and rear breaks - $2,000
6. Charging System Failure - $350
7. Had to be towed to dealer three times in the last 60 days due to throttle body issues - $1,300

so here I am with my car sitting at 50,100 miles and I have spent $6,800 in a two month time frame to "fix" it.... I mean really... feels a bit too much like planed obsolescence.

All work has been done by the dealer and I have only had the vehicle at my house for 15 days in the six weeks. Jaguar has been very accommodating with a "loaner vehicle" and constant updates on whats going on, but I just want my car back and working 100%! and not have to pay 15% of the cars value in repairs 100 miles past the warranty...

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Old 02-03-2016, 04:45 PM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

#5 is normal wear and tear so I would expect that at some point. You can shop around for non OEM brake parts that are of equal performance for cheaper. The water pump was a known issue in these cars and I know a lot of folks get these covered under a TSB I want to say? The throttle body, charging system and door locks I haven't seen many issues with on this forum. Sorry you are having some bad luck right after your warranty expired! Might be a good excuse to trade up to a newer model with an extended warranty. I just sold my XFR with the JVPP extended warranty and it was a huge reason why the new owner bought it. (although my car has been pretty much rock solid since I have owned it)

The following users liked this post:
kruh1982 (03-30-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

You should call Jaguar to see what can be done. Two weeks and 100 miles seems a little bit strict on this many issues all at once. When you purchased the car was it still under warranty?

kruh1982 (03-30-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

It has always seemed to me that something goes wrong with a car just after you've had something else fixed. I was suspicious of it when I was younger.

I have an 11 XKR, no issues but it just came out of warranty so I am getting nervy. I had a '12 XF 5.0 - that had the jerk on stopping which they fixed by putting baffles in the fuel tank (it was the fuel sloshing around inside). But that was noticeable from new, so it probably isnt your issue.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you - they are a lovely car. But if you are getting tired of it, I got my missus an XE, and although the XF was more luxurious inside the XE is just an awesome, awesome car to drive...

kruh1982 (03-30-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

You might want to find an Indy shop vs the dealer. 2000 is very expensive for the brakes - you can find better ceramics and discs all round, plus labour for under half that. Similarly that sounds like a lot for the water pump based on what others have reported about what it takes to replace

I'd certainly ask the dealer / jag to work with you on the water pump as that is a known issue and so close to the warranty expiration

kruh1982 (03-30-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 11:55 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

You've really got to find another shop to go to. Those prices are outrageous!!! No way I'd be ok with those bills. You could rent a car while yours is in the shop and still come out cheaper.

kruh1982 (03-30-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 03:13 PM

So.. I now have a few updates..

The car has been at the dealer for the last 15 days and I got it back today. Here is what has transpired over the last two weeks..

In reference to the transmission issue I was told four days ago by the dealer that there are no "error codes" so they can not determine what is wrong. I called Jaguar Corporate Customer Service and had lengthy conversations with them. They sent down a Corporate Engineer two days ago to look at and address the problem, and his assessment was to update/reprogram the transmission software. Yesterday the dealer tells me that they would not recommend this service as in the past when this "flashing" of the transmission was done it was known to cause complete failure of the transmission. However they could replace my transmission for $18,000... You could hear crickets for a solid minute before I started laughing at them.... It seems that my options are 1. do nothing and risk transmission failure- 2. Pay $18,000 to get a new transmission (NOT GONNA HAPPEN) 3. Look for an extended warranty that would cover such a failure in the event it happens. Not sure what to do about transmission.. It seems as this is a common but non threatening issue, how can I be certain?

What is a major drag for me is there are no other dealers near me. There are two dealerships with in 50 miles of me and both are owned by the same guy.. In addition there is no independent shop that will work on it, they all tell me they won't touch them. I did however find one to do the oil changes for half the cost of the dealer.

I have asked both corporate and dealer to assist in cost of any issue associated with the recent issues and have been denied on all accounts. In addition, when I asked if they could at least preform a complementary oil change on the vehicle, I was told NO very quickly at which point the service manager got an attitude with me a demanded I pick up the car immediately.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:00 PM
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

....sounds like a terrible Jaguar dealer......

kruh1982 (03-30-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

The fact is, X-250s are now coming out of warranty and the advice given to prospective X-308 (MY 98-MY03 XJ8) purchasers may be applicable to this car pretty soon. A Jaguar that is being maintained and repaired by a dealer will, no doubt, be maintained it tip top shape. But it will be expensive. So much so that WRXtranceform's advice about trading up may very well be spot on. Either, make the car payment, or pay for service.

The alternatives include finding an independent to service the car, or learn to service it yourself. At least for an X-308, they can be a real inexpensive alternative for driving a Jag, but you must do all the maintenance yourself to realize that economy.

The problems doing DIY on these cars is that complete technical manuals are not readily available for all year models, the diagnostic software is expensive and/or "fiddy" and a number of special tools that are not yet available in the aftermarket are needed.

No one should buy a used Jaguar for reliable point A point B transportation. If you do, you are kidding yourself. Buy a Lexus instead.

BTW, the ones in my signature are only my Jags still on the road.

Last edited by sparkenzap; 02-16-2016 at 10:27 PM.
kruh1982 (03-30-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 03:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Agree with others that these prices are ridiculous. I would keep looking for an inependant mechanic as this dealer is not even friendly. I have an Indy mechanic that would deal with 1,2, 4 and 5 for $50/hr. We also have a couple of foreign car indies here that would do better than your pricing. Even if you have to drive to another city, the money saved would be worth it. Hope you can find another way.

kruh1982 (03-30-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by kruh1982
I have found this forum and hope to get some quality and honest input from other owners.

I have a 2011 XF 5.0 and love it! One of the most fun vehicles I have ever driven/owned. No issues with the vehicle other than routine maintenance. UNTIL..... 2 weeks after the warranty expired, and here is a list of issues I have had since.

1. Replace Water Pump - $2,000
2. Replace Throttle Body - $1,200
3. Transmission Jerking upon complete stop when in automatic mode - no idea of cost yet, currently in the shop for this now.
4. Driver door lock assembly and handle malfunction $1,000
5. Replace front and rear breaks - $2,000
6. Charging System Failure - $350
7. Had to be towed to dealer three times in the last 60 days due to throttle body issues - $1,300

so here I am with my car sitting at 50,100 miles and I have spent $6,800 in a two month time frame to "fix" it.... I mean really... feels a bit too much like planed obsolescence.

All work has been done by the dealer and I have only had the vehicle at my house for 15 days in the six weeks. Jaguar has been very accommodating with a "loaner vehicle" and constant updates on whats going on, but I just want my car back and working 100%! and not have to pay 15% of the cars value in repairs 100 miles past the warranty...

Anyone else experience anything like this?
Well you might be able to get back all of that $1200 and some of that $1300 in towing back for your Throttle body if at the time of it's replacement your car was less than 8yrs old and had less than 80k miles. US FEDERAL emissions laws require ALL cars sold in the US to be covered to this length for emissions related repairs, and guess what your throttle body is considered a main part of your cars emissions system. See item #7, http://www3.epa.gov/obd/pubs/420f15035.pdf
I'd get a case opened by Jag north america and quote them this. A simple thanks will suffice if you get your $1200 back, but if ya get $2500 I'll expect a meal on you whenever I make it to LA..LOL Good luck

Last edited by Bigg Will; 02-19-2016 at 12:59 PM.
kruh1982 (03-30-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 09:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To be honest you have to expect this a dealer isn't going to fix warranty work just before a car is about to come out of warranty, they will just ignore the issues until it is out of warranty then the customer can pay for it. We get a lot of customers that come to us, near the end of a warranty period so they can have an independent review on the car and make sure it is up to scratch.

I agree that the prices are a bit ridiculous.

kruh1982 (03-30-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeyp
To be honest you have to expect this a dealer isn't going to fix warranty work just before a car is about to come out of warranty, they will just ignore the issues until it is out of warranty then the customer can pay for it. We get a lot of customers that come to us, near the end of a warranty period so they can have an independent review on the car and make sure it is up to scratch.

I agree that the prices are a bit ridiculous.
Exactly why I said get Jag North America involved.

kruh1982 (03-30-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
...No one should buy a used Jaguar for reliable point A point B transportation. If you do, you are kidding yourself. Buy a Lexus instead.

Wow...not a very high opinion of the cars! I have used my xtype as my daily driver for years and has performed as well as anyone could expect. Regular maintenance is key for any car. I plan to ride my XF until it reaches 100k miles. It will be out of warranty in September of this year. I agree, you either make the car payment or make the service payment. It is almost a wash either way, but I would be seriously pissed if all of the issues the OP mentioned began happening to me.

kruh1982 (03-30-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 08:19 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>Wow...not a very high opinion of the cars!

Yes, seriously guys, Jaguars are a limited-production premium car and the costs reflect that, as they do for Audis and BMWs, and Mercs...

Our main problem is the lack of independent shops that are experienced on these cars v.s., those other ones.

The cost advantage of owning a Jaguar, v.s. those others, is definitely in our favor. But again, before seriously considering one, try to find an independent shop and then begin looking for the best conditioned one available.
==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past Ours: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

kruh1982 (03-30-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 08:59 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
The fact is, X-250s are now coming out of warranty and the advice given to prospective X-308 (MY 98-MY03 XJ8) purchasers may be applicable to this car pretty soon. A Jaguar that is being maintained and repaired by a dealer will, no doubt, be maintained it tip top shape. But it will be expensive. So much so that WRXtranceform's advice about trading up may very well be spot on. Either, make the car payment, or pay for service.

The alternatives include finding an independent to service the car, or learn to service it yourself. At least for an X-308, they can be a real inexpensive alternative for driving a Jag, but you must do all the maintenance yourself to realize that economy.

The problems doing DIY on these cars is that complete technical manuals are not readily available for all year models, the diagnostic software is expensive and/or "fiddy" and a number of special tools that are not yet available in the aftermarket are needed.

No one should buy a used Jaguar for reliable point A point B transportation. If you do, you are kidding yourself. Buy a Lexus instead.

WELL, im on my 5th Jag, 2 of which were new AND 3 used. i disagree with most of what you have said 100 %.. i dont find them to be a high maintenance car.. change the oil,, no special skills required, even brakes are pretty easy with everyday tools.. ive never had an issue with any...

kruh1982 (03-30-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

Saves a lot if you DIY at least the ordinary things.

kruh1982 (03-30-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 03:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Saves a lot if you DIY at least the ordinary things.
Yup, engine oil and filter changes (all four filters - oil, air, fuel and pollen), brake pads and rotors, pad wear sensors, brake fluid, light globes, done all of these myself and saved a packet. Two XFs now over more than 2 years and neither have been anywhere near a dealer. Only things yet to do on the XFR are a coolant flush and refill (easy DIY) and a trans fluid dump, flush & refill (not so easy DIY, will buy the necessary and go to my favourite mech to get it done when it's due).

kruh1982 (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 12:09 PM

Please, I NEED to hear some good news....

Car was running relatively good for 2 weeks then the "restricted performance" message showed up and car would not drive properly. The next morning when I started it to bring to shop, all was fine..... Two days later message pops up and as i am on my way to shop to have codes read, it goes away.. I bring it in anyway - i was told no codes were stored.

about two weeks after that, the same exact thing happened. "restricted performance" showed up, only to go away on next start up. Again, about 3 days later it comes on wile driving for about 2 minutes, then goes off.

Now, 4 days after that the car is at the shop because I was finally able to get it there with "restricted performance" showing so that i could get the codes read. The codes that are showing up are:

P061A-00 & P061A-04

I am being told that this could be the MAF or the Transmission has an internal problem... What the hell? A sensor or a new transmission, what a freaking rage... Does anyone have history with either or both of these codes? Or MAF or Transmission issues?

Old 03-30-2016, 01:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As mentioned above, call Jag NA involved. My take on this is it sounds as if there are several issues the dealer may have been aware and may not have provided due diligence in terms of identifying and - or fixing some of the issues before warranty expired.

kruh1982 (03-30-2016)

Quick Reply: 2011 XF 5.0 Frustration