XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2011 XF Paddles

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 XF Paddles

I just bought a new 2011 XF Premium and I have a question. In the demo car I drove (also a 2011) the paddles operates in both D and S mode whereas in mine they only operate in S mode. The sales guy told me that this is a very recent change because some customers complained of inadvertent paddle operation. Is this correct? He told me that before I drove the car, so it wasn't like I discovered this and then questioned it. Apologies if this is an old question.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

What does the instruction book say? If it's true it's disappointing. One of the important things about automatics is that paddles allow you to shift down instantly even when the gearbox is set on "D".

Old 01-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Paddle Shifting.

It is true, this is a new change for the XF and the XJ(Non Superchargered) vehicles, haven't seen anything for XK's though? But I'm sure it will come.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The dealership can enable it back to the other way by changing the CCF file.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Apparently, some drivers were activating the paddles unintentionally.

I have done so and it can be disconcerting when the transmission fails to upshift until redline when you are just tootling along.

One dealer actually "fixed" this by disconnecting the wires to the paddles for a lady customer.

I agree this is a shame as being able to pull a quick downshift while in D is very handy. I also like the fact that the transmission reverts to D automatically after 20 seconds or so.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by jaglover922
The dealership can enable it back to the other way by changing the CCF file.
Actually, it is the TCM that is modified to either disable or enable the paddle shifting in Normal Mode. The toggle function was recently added to the SDD diagnostic equipment. Sometime within the last 30-45 days cars [both XJ and XF] began arriving at the dealership with paddles disabled in Normal. That will be the default setting from now on. The owner can have it re-enabled if desired.
For the moment, I've seen and heard nothing about the XK.

Cheers,

Old 02-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

and thank God, Im tired of trying to explain that someone touched the paddles and put in manual changing gears either up or down when they swear , or thought they didnt. Ive done, advisors, other techs and customers too, and this is why its been changed, but every now and then someone comes in..............
Ow have you noticed that the back window now require a double touch to drop them down? the first touch drops a little to reduce or eliminate the Boom that can happen when driving and the windows are dropped

Old 02-09-2011, 01:59 PM

After a few inquiries and calls to JoA headquarters, I was told that Jaguar instructed their dealers to modify the software to lock out the paddles in "D" on all in-stock cars. New deliveries would have the new code. I just got a call from the service manager at my (extremely helpful) dealer and I have an appointment tomorrow to try to reverse the "upgrade". I'm so far delighted with my dealer.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:16 AM

Working fine now! Thanks to my service manager who (wink, wink) "persuaded me against the fix"

Old 03-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to admit that both wife and I have bumped the paddles when not wanting to causing an unwanted shift. I mentioned to her that they were doing this on the 2011 cars and she thought that was not a bad idea. The tranny in this car does extremely well shifting on its own for normal driving. The only time we use the paddles is when we put it in S mode and want to have fun on a twisty road anyway.

Last edited by PaleRider; 03-04-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:53 PM

I like the ability to shift down for a tight corner, especially downhill. I normally buy stick shifts and I hate the feeling of coasting round a corner in an automatic. That's really the only time I want to use the paddles except when in S mode. I like the way the transmission reverts to D after 20 seconds or so.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

The ZF transmission holds the gear in corners. It is not similar to North American automatics in any way. The ZF uses the lock up clutch for direct drive in all gears except 1st. It also uses intelligent programming to hold the gear on overrun and in corners. In the event of wheel slippage under acceleration it will also hold the gear until traction is regained.

This ZF is simply the best torque converter automatic available.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:02 AM

I understand that Mr Jagular, but you have to be in the correct gear to start with, so I like to break hard, downshift and then drive round rather than coast round. I agree - it is a very intelligent gearbox.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

I use the paddles all the time, mostly down shifting going on the many down hills around here. Also should help save the brake pads some. I can see this being a deal breaker for me when my lease is up in 2 years, unless the dealer can reprogram. Instead of taking the easy way out and blocking the operation in 'D' , Jaguar should do the right thing, and improve the paddles a little bit (make them slightly longer also)

Old 03-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

It is pointless to use the transmission to save on brake pad wear.

This has not been sensible since the disc brake became standardized.

I concede that even some so called "expert" drivers still believe the engine braking is useful to save brake wear. Ridiculous idea. No racing driver uses the engine to slow the car.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:54 AM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular

I concede that even some so called "expert" drivers still believe the engine braking is useful to save brake wear. Ridiculous idea. No racing driver uses the engine to slow the car.
Well, I do it all the time and the OEM front and rear pads are only worn 50% at 30K miles.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The reasons for downshifting are not to slow the car but to a) provide stability through the corner by having some torque transmitted to the driving wheels b) having enough torque on hand to accelerate out of the corner.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Of course I save on brake pads wear when downshifting . You don't have to be a genius to figure out that stopping a 2 ton car going downhill from 30mph takes less energy than stopping under same conditions from 60mph.
Stopping involves the convering kinetic energy to heat. Either thru the brakes, or thru the transmission fluid, or both.
Since I lease my cars, it's always under factory warranty. So I don't worry about (theoretically) abusing the tranny, which will not happen anyway with all the computer controls and protections in these new cars these days.
If I can enjoy, and then return my leased car with less self financed maintenance - why not?

Old 03-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by yidal8
Since I lease my cars, it's always under factory warranty. So I don't worry about (theoretically) abusing the tranny, which will not happen anyway with all the computer controls and protections in these new cars these days.
If I can enjoy, and then return my leased car with less self financed maintenance - why not?
Nothing necessarily "wrong" with it.....
Just serves to illustrate the difference between a Jaguar user, and a Jaguar lover!

That's just my opinion, [a Jaguar Lover] so don't rip me to shreds, please.

Cheers,

Old 03-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jagular

Don't claim to be an expert on racing - or brakes for that matter. I have followed my son around on his racing classes and listened to the instructors. Brakes are more efficient, and have quicker response, than in the past when race drivers did downshift regularly. So Jagular is correct regarding race drivers; they don't normally downshift to slow these days.

I do use engine braking for smoother deceleration, and to avoid riding the brakes, on steeper grades. I imagine this keeps the pads/rotors cooler, which can't hurt. My downshifting is very gentle, so I imagine there is no detrimental effect on the transmission. Aggressive downshifting probably would not be a good idea, but I can't back this up with any hard evidence!

Quick Reply: 2011 XF Paddles