XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2011 XF-S - 113k miles - time to move on, and to what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 XF-S - 113k miles - time to move on, and to what?

Brand new member to the forum. I've been postponing thinking about this for a while, because I'm not thrilled with the process that I expect I will have to go through (similar to https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ontent-190910/). So this might be a bit redundant to those threads, but please let me know thoughts on the following.
  1. My XF Supercharged has 113k miles and if I can, I will drive it to 200k miles - within reason. I went for over 100k miles with very little in the way of repairs (the one I remember is having to replace the automatic door lock system in the front doors). Just recently, however, I've had a leak in the AC compressor (~$1800 repair) and a leak in the coolant system (~$1400). At what point will more repairs be not warranted? Has anyone else experienced similar (and more) repairs at a similar mileage?
  2. What's out there that is similar? I can't stand the V6 versions (apparently like many), and I'd really love something that was about the same quality/price. (I think that I paid close to $63k new for my vehicle - but I realize that prices appear to have increased for the same quality.)
TIA!

Old 10-22-2017, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 390 Posts

It’s inevitable as the car gets older and higher mileage that you will start to get some more significant repairs. But don’t forget that you probably had $10k per year of depreciation early on and not a lot now, so it’s probably still a lot cheaper to keep running it vs replacement. But there is the hassle factor of course. Mine is a 2010 XF 5.0 SC but my miles are a lot lower (50k) and so far it’s impeccably reliable. I’ve still been wondering the same as you - what next...

Couple of ideas:
- if you’d consider used, how about a low mileage 2015 XFR - or and XFR-S. You know you’ll love the car
- I’ve also considered going for a newer XJR - the only way to get the 5.0SC outside the F-Type is in the XJ
The crossover / suv like F pace or E pace don’t appeal

Alternatives would be M5 or Maserati. But I don’t think I’d want either of those and they are pricey

Old 10-22-2017, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
It €™s inevitable as the car gets older and higher mileage that you will start to get some more significant repairs. But don €™t forget that you probably had $10k per year of depreciation early on and not a lot now, so it €™s probably still a lot cheaper to keep running it vs replacement. But there is the hassle factor of course. Mine is a 2010 XF 5.0 SC but my miles are a lot lower (50k) and so far it €™s impeccably reliable. I €™ve still been wondering the same as you - what next...

Couple of ideas:
- if you €™d consider used, how about a low mileage 2015 XFR - or and XFR-S. You know you €™ll love the car
- I €™ve also considered going for a newer XJR - the only way to get the 5.0SC outside the F-Type is in the XJ
The crossover / suv like F pace or E pace don €™t appeal

Alternatives would be M5 or Maserati. But I don €™t think I €™d want either of those and they are pricey
Great points - and $1500 here or there is a lot less than even a used 2015 XFR or XFR-S (both of which are great suggestions - and I found some limited inventory on cargurus.com, and even fewer choices on jaguarusa.com). I did drive the F pace when I had a recent checkup. It was OK, and probably more practical in many respects (I do a lot of outdoor stuff, and rolling up in a Jag at a hunting club can lead to some interesting looks). I will keep my eyes open!

Old 10-22-2017, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 356 Likes on 270 Posts

If they didn't replace all the plastic parts in your cooling system when you got the leak, you're going to have a string of $1500 repair bills replacing each part one at a time. There's a lot of plastic to fail.

Also, the timing chain guides are probably not going to last much longer.