XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2011 XF Satellite Radio constantly "Acquiring Signal"

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 XF Satellite Radio constantly "Acquiring Signal"

Today the XF was in Acquiring Signal mode for my entire drive of 45 minutes, and also powered down the car and started it up again.

Granted it's a little overcast, but that just seems extremely odd today.

Anyone else have that issue? It happened once, but then it was fine the next day. I don't know why it does it because I can get signal in my garage (which is underneath my house).

The following users liked this post:
Kevion Hickman (12-19-2019)
Old 05-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesman78
Today the XF was in Acquiring Signal mode for my entire drive of 45 minutes, and also powered down the car and started it up again.

Granted it's a little overcast, but that just seems extremely odd today.

Anyone else have that issue? It happened once, but then it was fine the next day. I don't know why it does it because I can get signal in my garage (which is underneath my house).
At this point your best course is to monitor the Sat. Radio and see if you get any repeats of the signal loss. A once in a while occurrence is not uncommon, really. Contrary to what some folks say, spurious electrical goings on in the atmosphere can screw with Sat. Radio. But if it happens regularly, I'd get her to your dealer. We just had to troubleshoot a 2010 XF for loosing satellites repeatedly. Took a new Sat. Radio module and re-register w/Sirius. That's what your warranty is for.

Cheers,

Old 05-04-2011, 07:39 AM

It happens once a month, but I don't think it has anything to do with the atmosphere. I've had XM in a variety of cars and this problem has never happened. If it happens again, I'll take it into the dealer.

My thought is that it happens when the sky is overcast and the car can't register initially with XM. However, I think it doesn't try again and turning the car off doesn't make it try to reconnect. Just curious to see if anyone else had this same problem.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with XJRGuy, but my 10 XF has to "acquire signal" often, day or night, sun or clouds. In my experience, Sirius has always had this problem and XM rarely has. I have had many different cars with this issue not just the XF.

If this occured on or after May 4th, that is when they "realigned" the station numbers and some people may have experienced long outages. It took my XF about 3 minutes to go through the process, apparently some people weren't so lucky.

Clearly, if long outages continue see your dealer.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Sirius and I am not having any problems. I listen to mostly one station, BB Kings Bluesville and it even switched staions (74 to 70) on its own on May 4th. I lose the signal in parking garages, car washes and bank atm's and that is about it. I would have somebody check it out if it keeps up. I am not sure the dealer is the expert I would choose if I had a choice.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 XJ Sirius

I've been having the same problem on a 2008 XJ. Dealer replaced the antenna 3 times and the Sirius module. Still happens. Lot's of cut-outs under overpasses. Also, the scroll "buttons" are greyed out so I can't scroll through the stations, even when the car is stopped. Sounds like a software problem(s).

Old 08-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Smile

Ive been noticing this more during the last week of driving. I know that the sun has been spewing solar flares more radically than at almost anytime in the past and this can affect satellite transmissions. Only a theory guys. Im neither Einstein nor Darwin!!!!!

Old 08-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My experience with my 2011 XF is the same as tcarby's, no problems with reception and use many channels during a drive. I only loose signal reception in garages, underpasses (briefly), but never under cloudy or in torrential rain situations.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by CashmereLeaper
My experience with my 2011 XF is the same as tcarby's, no problems with reception and use many channels during a drive. I only loose signal reception in garages, underpasses (briefly), but never under cloudy or in torrential rain situations.
I'd suggest anyone who does not have the Satellite Radio reliability that CasmereLeaper and tcarby have, get their car to the dealer and have them reassess. This is not rocket science, there is either an issue with the Sat Radio module or more likely the antenna coax. Substituting or replacing the module then assuming the antenna must be the trouble is a poor diagnostic strategy. The small coax connectors are quite delicate and easily damaged. Several have apparently been compromised even at original assembly. The continuity of the antenna lead from the antenna back to the module should be checked and verified. That's usually where the trouble is. The problem is safely connecting to them to test continuity, without causing damage yourself because they are so tiny. I have made test connectors from otherwise damaged harnesses so I can connect to them safely.

Luck to all!