XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015
View Poll Results: Would you like a "How To" on how to do a XF SC or XFR brake job yourself.
Yes, Do it !
88.89%
No, don't waste your time Chief.
11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

2011 XF SC Ceramic Brake Pad install for the everyone.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Received 309 Likes on 114 Posts
Default 2011 XF SC Ceramic Brake Pad install for the everyone.

I just replaced my semi-metallic brake pads with ceramic, I cannot stand the black dust on my wheels after detailing the car for 2 hours because after driving 10 miles the wheels look like crap. I really do not want to debate personal preference in pad selection. I would like some feed back if anyone would be interested in a step by step- DIY or How to Change Brake Pads on a XF SC or XFR. I have done similar DIY post for my 2004 XJ VDP for Total Brake Service and OIL Change. Heres an example for what I did for the '04 XJ VDP.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ice-how-61323/

Obviously this is very time consuming and this time I even took photos. I really get a lot of "Thank Your's" on the XJ 350 side. So if I get some positive feed back, I'll put it together. So let me know.

I can say there is a lot of self-satisfaction for doing it right and knowing it. No offensive to the professionals on the forum, because they always put you in the right direction. I know a lot of enthusiasts don't have access to parts or service or simply can't afford it.

Let me know if you want to know how to do it yourself. I'll get on the old Fire Chief SOG for XF brake jobs. It's easy with just a couple basic hand-tools and about 2 hours. Let me see some votes above. .

Last edited by edobernig; 11-09-2012 at 06:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by edobernig:
chazaroo (03-13-2014), jaguny (11-10-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Really nice offer. We'll see how many takers. Thanx.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

think it would be a good thing even though I usually do my own servicing I like to look up any threads on procedures to see if i'm missing anything

Old 11-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Default 94 views and 6 votes yes, none no... seriously?

I switched over to ceramics from semi-metallic for $116.00 for 4 wheels and did it myself. After 94 views and 6 yes, does that mean 88 vote No?
A little more input would be nice. Vote above

Old 11-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I just did my own Porterfields and I would have liked a write up to follow.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Well at 6-0, you could always view it as a unanimous yes.

On the other hand, a lot of XF owners must be still getting their service done at the dealers because they are newer.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by plums
Well at 6-0, you could always view it as a unanimous yes.

On the other hand, a lot of XF owners must be still getting their service done at the dealers because they are newer.
^^^This...

and also I'm kind of a moron when it comes to anything mechanical. I do, however, despise the brake dust on my wheels and have even considering going to a black rim if I thought it would help.

Darin

Old 11-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Default Claening Black Brake Dust must bother me more than the color red.

Thought I would see if anyone would like a "HOW TO" do a 4 wheel disk brake job. With seven unanimous votes YES verses 180 views, it would appear that there is not a lot of interest in changing your semi-metallic pads to ceramic and eliminate 80% of that ugly dust or it's harder to vote here than in Florida.

It's interesting that there are more opinions posted about the color RED.

Well I sourced a 4-wheel set of ceramic brake pads domestically for $116.00 delivered. I changed them over in about 2 hours and can report that there is no squeaking. After a drive to Green Bay and back virtually no visible dust.

Regarding rear brake wear verses front, I did find that the rear calipers were much harder to remove from the rotor. I would attribute it to the integrated brake brake mechanism built into the rear calipers. It appears to not release to the degree a conventional caliper does and drags slightly more.

No one looks for help until they really need it. I probably share may procedure, since it will save someone a lot of time and aggravation.

The following users liked this post:
Dan11 (12-15-2013)
Old 11-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by dsmith
^^^This...

and also I'm kind of a moron when it comes to anything mechanical. I do, however, despise the brake dust on my wheels and have even considering going to a black rim if I thought it would help.

Darin
The pre -12 cars must have different pads.

On my 2012, i am extremely satisfied with the little amount of brake dust that the car collects. I can go a whole week without cleaning the wheels and even then, there is very slight dusting. Extraordinary, especially for a car that stops so good.

I would find out if they are actually different and if its true, i highly recommend them.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I answered NO to the poll, just to provide a bit of balance. Seems that there are a lot of folk interested though, so my real answer is: go for it! Personally, I have the platinum warranty for another few years so it is not sensible for me to do this myself. I don't find the dust to be an issue. Also, are the ceramic pads more likely to wear the disks? If so, I would be concerned about invalidating the warranty on the disks.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:14 AM
Default Ceramic Pads the way to go for my use. No racing

Originally Posted by darlo
I answered NO to the poll, just to provide a bit of balance. Seems that there are a lot of folk interested though, so my real answer is: go for it! Personally, I have the platinum warranty for another few years so it is not sensible for me to do this myself. I don't find the dust to be an issue. Also, are the ceramic pads more likely to wear the disks? If so, I would be concerned about invalidating the warranty on the disks.
Ceramic are the way to go. Total brake job on my 04 XJ VDP with ceramic pads, work great and virtually no dust. Semi-metallic brake pads are more abrasive and wear rotors faster. I have found more rotor wear and brake dust using semi-metallic pads not less rotor wear. Ceramic pads cause less rotor wear and less visible dust.

Since they were first used on a few original applications in 1985, friction materials that contain ceramic formulations have become recognized for their desirable blend of traits. These pads use ceramic compounds and copper fibers in place of the semi-metallic pad's steel fibers. This allows the ceramic pads to handle high brake temperatures with less heat fade, provide faster recovery after the stop, and generate less dust and wear on both the pads and rotors. And from a comfort standpoint, ceramic compounds provide much quieter because the ceramic compound helps dampen noise by generating a frequency beyond the human hearing range.

Another characteristic that makes ceramic materials attractive is the absence of noticeable dust. All brake pads produce dust as they wear. The ingredients in ceramic compounds produce a light colored dust that is much less noticeable and less likely to stick to the wheels. Consequently, wheels and tires maintain a cleaner appearance longer.

Ceramic pads meet or exceed all original equipment standards for durability, stopping distance and noise. According to durability tests, ceramic compounds extend compared to most other semi-metallic and organic materials and outlast other premium pad materials by a significant margin - with no sacrifice in noise control, pad life or braking performance.

Basically I think the evolution of ceramic pads is an engineering improvement over past materials and they don't eat rotors they save them.

Last edited by edobernig; 11-15-2012 at 09:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by edobernig:
Dan11 (12-15-2013), darlo (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Default For the Owners that like to do their own work and save $$$

Lots of views and not a lot of voting. Fairly typical for the fourm.

As this vintage goes to second and third owners like my 04' XJ VDP, there will be more interest in saving some cash as I have noticed on the X350/X358 forum side.

I am going to write this up because I know that on my 2010 XF PremLux and 2011 XF SC Sport that the brake dust issue is bad and cars will be soon coming out of warranty. So I will provide an easy 2 hour solution.

Dan11 (12-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

Thank you! It will definitely come in handy for many users, and when I need to change mine out.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Can anyone add some input for me please?
I think the time is getting close for me to do the front and rear pads on my 2010 XFR.
The rotors looks very good and clean with only a minor lip a the very edge of the rotor, no hot spots, warping, vibrations, or deep grooves, just smooth surface as I have been kind to them. I will scuff them a bit before the new pads go on to ensure a good break in is done for the new pads like I have done in the past.

These are the things I want to know in details please:
Is there any difference in pads needed with sensors for the XFR VS the S/C?

Where do I buy the sensors from and or do some of you disconnect or tie the 2 wires together when not using new sensors to eliminate the error light?

What tool is used for the Jag XF/R to do the brakes and where to buy it from?

What and where to buy stock compared pads from for all 4 ? I hear EBC red stuff is closest to stock. My concern is noise, No squeaks aloud! LOL

Any input or write up specific to the XFR would be great and best place to buy the items needed. Thank you all in advance.

The following 2 users liked this post by BigCat09:
birdman (12-16-2013), Dan11 (12-15-2013)
Old 11-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Default Got it done for my buddies.

Big Cat don't Panic. I'm going to post on a new thread today.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Excuse my ignorance...

Are ceramic pads, and red pads, the same thing?

I have an X350 Super V8 which has the same Brembo calipers and enormous discs (rotors) as the XJR; the wheels came off today for a brake inspection and I was surprised that the wheels, even on the inner surface, were very clean. I am used to seeing black deposits on alloy wheels, especially on the inner surfaces which do not normally get washed.

Incidentally, I gather from the Brembo catalogue that these huge disks are not a Brembo part. Mine are scored and need replacing. Anyone know who makes them?

Old 07-05-2013, 08:03 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

I'll not waste space starting another thread on this topic, since it's more about the dirty dusty pads that are on European cars in general and Jags..

I've had a Mercedes from new; 1992 300E and it was HORRIBLE as far as BLACK dirty dusty pads..I had a from new; a 2003 X-type and it was just as Horrible too..

Now I have this 2012 XF and I don't know if they did something different finally, but these pads are not dirty at all..after about a week of city driving and highway driving, the dust level or dust coating is hardly noticeable..I'm very happy with this compound in these pads....whatever it is..

Old 12-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New owner 2010 XF premium

What ceramic pads and rotors did you use

I have only had this car 8 weeks and the dust is crazy

Old 12-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan11
New owner 2010 XF premium

What ceramic pads and rotors did you use

I have only had this car 8 weeks and the dust is crazy

I too would be quite interested in what brand ceramic pad is doing the job for your cars? I can't get many responses for the XK and I too cannot tolerate the dust. Akebono Euros? Centric Posi Quiet? I thought EBC red stuff is more of a performance pad with more dust than green stuff.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:53 AM
Default Refer to "How to Section"

Originally Posted by bocatrip
I too would be quite interested in what brand ceramic pad is doing the job for your cars? I can't get many responses for the XK and I too cannot tolerate the dust. Akebono Euros? Centric Posi Quiet? I thought EBC red stuff is more of a performance pad with more dust than green stuff.
I have used Centric Ceramic Posi Quiet pads and rotors on my 04' XJ and Brake Labs Ceramic pads on my 11' XF SC. They both worked great, are quiet and hardly any dust. My 12' XJL still has OEM pads and have no dust compared to the 04' XJ and 11' XF SC. It's obvious they are now using ceramic OEM pads.

Check the XF How To section: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...job-how-85582/

Just to note: The pads, rotors and procedure for changing are the same for the XF-SC and XFR.

Check the XJ How To section:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ice-how-61323/

There are additional links for parts there. I know PartsGeek.com has both Centric Posi Quite and EBC Red Stuff Ceramic.
For XF: 10 2010 Jaguar XF Brake Pad Set - Brake - Akebono, Beck Arnley, Bendix, Centric, Delphi, EBC, Genuine, Monroe, TRW, Textar, Wagner, Front, Rear - PartsGeek

For XK:
10 2010 Jaguar XK Brake Pad Set - Brake - Akebono, Beck Arnley, Bendix, Centric, Delphi, Textar, Front, Rear - PartsGeek

You can easily do this yourself, save a lot of money and not have that black dust after driving a block.

Last edited by edobernig; 12-21-2013 at 09:06 AM.
dbeck84 (12-26-2013)

Quick Reply: 2011 XF SC Ceramic Brake Pad install for the everyone.