XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2011 xf supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 xf supercharged

Hey guys I'm new to the jaguar world, Im driving a 04 acura tl right but it's time to move on. I've always wanted a jaguar dream car I found a 2011 cf supercharged with 64 thousand miles. I've been hearing they are horrible cars and they break down all the time. Can anyone give me some inside on the problems that occur with this year and in general with jaguars.

Thanks

Old 10-02-2016, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by dcatalan52
Hey guys I'm new to the jaguar world, Im driving a 04 acura tl right but it's time to move on. I've always wanted a jaguar dream car I found a 2011 cf supercharged with 64 thousand miles. I've been hearing they are horrible cars and they break down all the time. Can anyone give me some inside on the problems that occur with this year and in general with jaguars.

Thanks
You'll of course get a biased response on here! But I don't think they are any less reliable that other comparable luxury cars - in my mind prob more reliable. (2009s seem to have had more issues, less after that)

Mine is a 2010 XF supercharged (same as you're looking at) and the only issue I had is the water pumps which are poorly designed and leak. Mine was spotted and replaced in regular service before any issues.

In terms of issues to look for
- water pump for sure. By 60k miles I'd be pretty sure it has been replaced but good to check. Get a pressure check on the whole cooling system.
- dashboard leather top can warp and wrinkle in hot sun. Expensive to replace so look carefully
- 20inch wheels are soft as butter and bend easily so have them carefully checked. At the same time check brake pads, rotors and tyres as it can eat them fast. Expensive for dealer replacement (not too bad with aftermarket parts which are less dusty anyway and Indy shop is cheaper to fit)
- sunroof can be creaky and rattly. Two issues - the sunroof cassette in the headliner can come loose and need refitting. I'd expect by now if it had a problem you can either hear it or it has been fixed. It also creaks around the edge but easily fixed with silicone grease
- do all the usual checks, codes etc

Good luck. If well looked after and serviced then a 60k model is only getting started!

Good luck

Old 10-02-2016, 12:57 PM

Thank you Man, I think this is going to be my next toy

Old 10-02-2016, 01:06 PM

Do you know if the 2009 xf supercharged had any major issues or the same as the 2011?

Old 10-02-2016, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

As said no more issues than with any other high end luxury sport& car. I love my XFR.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by dcatalan52
Do you know if the 2009 xf supercharged had any major issues or the same as the 2011?
Couple of additional issues. Problems with the gear selector knob early on but fixed under a recall / service bulletin so will either be fixed or not affected. Seems to be a number of people with 2009 models having issues with the differential. Some fixed at least for a while by replacing seals but appears to ultimately be a very expensive repair. Search around the forum and you'll find a lot more details from people more familiar with this issue

Aside from that I'd say it is pretty much the same issues. The 2009 has the 4.2 vs the 5.0 engine as you're probably aware

Old 10-03-2016, 08:18 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>The 2009 has the 4.2 vs the 5.0 engine as you're probably aware

The 4.2 is a very stout engine and they just go and go and go...

As was reported earlier there was a significant problem with the differential.
That is what would keep me from considering an early XF. You should try to make sure that that problem was not applicable to this particular car or that it has been addressed.

Also, also, also, before buying this, or any Jaguar, locate a non-dealer repair shop. The car WILL need to be serviced/repaired and the dealer costs will be prohibitive.
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)

The following users liked this post:
LuvmyJagNZ (08-24-2023)
Old 10-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Lots of people bad mouth Jags without even owning them, it's ridiculous. We have BMWs, Merc, Audi, and a Toyota in the family and all of them except the Audi/Jag were trouble. BMWs drive great, but they are such pieces of **** when it comes to engine and electrical components, had several issues on every single car (Two N52s and One N54).

70K miles on my XF without a single issue (Knock on wood) and I don't baby this car. Took her drag racing, burnouts and drift sessions in empty parking lots, I get on the gas almost every chance i get to hear that purring V8.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jaaaggg:
Injekter (11-11-2016), LuvmyJagNZ (08-24-2023)
Old 10-05-2016, 08:35 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 2011 XFR. I've been very happy with mine overall however I just posted an issue I'm having with the car stalling and starting up when it feels like it. Likely a faulty battery or fuel pump that's going bad. Waiting to hear back from the experts. This forum is an incredible resource.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

I love my 09 Supercharged. Pay attention to the differential if you look at one. Look for leaking around the rear axles and any odd noises. If it seems good swap the fluid and you should be good to go. The stock fluid was a possible suspect to the issues. Swapping fluid only takes about 5-10 minutes.

There was a shifter issue on 09-11 XF's. There was a bad solder joint that caused the issue. My dealer even fixed a few because the replacements were on back order at the time. The issue caused the shifter to get stuck in park or not rise up at all. Most should have been replaced by now. The replacements have been rock solid. I don't think I'd worry too much about this one.

There are dash issues (leather adhesive fails) on all years of the XF which is a major concern. The earlier ones may show it more often because they would have more miles on them. The fix is not cheap if it's out of warranty so it's worth avoiding those with the leather pulling up unless you get a significant discount (>$3k).

Battery issues are common on all year XF's. Keep the battery topped off. If you don't drive it more than once or twice a week you will want to put a battery maintainer on it. All the electronics drain the battery fast. If the battery still holds a charge but is a few years old it can still cause random engine lights, stalling, starting issues, etc.

The 09 Supercharged is probably going to be the best deal by far since it's the oldest and some will probably want to skip it to get the 5L in the 2010+. There is no lack of power in the 09 Supercharged so test drive it if you have your eyes on one. The 09 Supercharged came with nearly every option. The only to options available were heated steering wheel and automatic cruise control. The rest was standard.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Lol, people KNOW the German cars and Land Rovers are "horrible cars and they break down all the time", and yet they're selling like hotcakes.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I had a 2011 XF Supercharged. Traded it in on a F type R at 26k. It was a great deal as it had 470 hp, upgraded leather, auto rear sun blind, alcantara headliner and a great Bower and Wilkins stereo to name just a few features and a 5 year maintenance and repair warranty.

Issues repaired under warranty:

Creaky steering column(auto adjust by the way)
Leaky water pump
Leaky rear shock (may have hit something).

I don't miss it as f type is beautiful driver, but it was a good car with coupe looks and awesome power.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an '09 Supercharged - bought it new and it was a great car! Replaced the overhead console lights, shifter and fuel pump under warranty, the right front wheel bearing/spindle/knuckle (at 77K) and drove it all over - tons of punch and it handled well, too. 20" wheels replaced a couple times all told from hitting stuff - that was the toughest thing to get under control. I put 88K on it and just replaced it this week with a 2015 XF 5.0 Supercharged, with only 3700 miles on it. This new one is a keeper, too. Better infotainment interface, better throttle/brake input, more power and 4 years/100K factory warranty. More mature manufacturing processes = much better unit quality - buy later models and you'll find better reliability.

One thing to note - the '09 had every option you could get except the automatic cruise control and all of it worked the whole time I had it - no system died, no feature failed to work for 8+ years - anything that failed was an easy fix or was fixed under warranty. Transmission, engine, rear carrier, suspension, cooling, AC/heating, seats, sunroof, all the myriad little boxes and computer modules, lighting systems, stereo, etc. - it all worked without fail. Yes, on a Jaguar. You'd have to be crazy to overlook that level of performance and style and reliability, so of course I bought another one!

LuvmyJagNZ (08-24-2023)
Old 11-10-2016, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ringtail
all of it worked the whole time I had it - no system died, no feature failed to work for 8+ years... Yes, on a Jaguar.
Yes it always feels great to beat the odds... like our new President-Elect.

Injekter (11-11-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 03:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You know, I've been feeling pretty Trumpy lately. Lotta that going around, and I kinda hope the whole country comes down with it. If a little's good, more's better!

Injekter (11-11-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ringtail
You know, I've been feeling pretty Trumpy lately. Lotta that going around, and I kinda hope the whole country comes down with it. If a little's good, more's better!
I hope he too will last 8+ years without major 'system failure'.

Injekter (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 10:03 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

i love how the Jag gets no respect...i traded in a S- type R once on an Acura TL and they had no clue what it was...im telling them look...its 10 times the car im trading for...go drive it.......and yes Trump

Old 05-12-2022, 01:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastlanz
I have a 2011 XFR. I've been very happy with mine overall however I just posted an issue I'm having with the car stalling and starting up when it feels like it. Likely a faulty battery or fuel pump that's going bad. Waiting to hear back from the experts. This forum is an incredible resource.
what came of this issue? I just started experiencing this and the car is throwing all kinds of codes. 0