XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2011 XFR - The most epic car I've ever owned

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 11:28 PM
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2011 XFR - The most epic car I've ever owned

I just wanted to take a moment to gush about my XFR for any readers out there considering purchasing one. I've owned several nice performance cars over the years, namely my 2008 Audi RS4 and while it was a very nice car it just doesn't hold a candle to my XF-R. Every time I walk up to the car I'm excited to drive it and every time I'm sitting in it I feel lucky to get to drive such an amazing machine. I legitimately feel bad for all the other drivers on the road who just don't understand what they are missing. I feel bad for the guy driving a brand new Honda Accord as for basically the same money I'm driving a British super saloon.

From the amazing exhaust note (that for me could be louder and soon will be), to the sublime comfort of the heated and cooled seats to the utterly amazing B&W audio system to the Spaceship like glow of the interior at night I just can't get enough. Even the base XF 3.0 loaner I had for a few days was an impressive car (and boy is the upgraded Infotainment system a nice upgrade). For anyone considering one of these if it's in your price range (and given how quickly they depreciate I'm sure there is one in y our budget) stop considering it and start shopping for one. So far there is basically nothing about the car that has not only met but far exceeded my expectations.

As this is a somewhat (ie totally) gratuitous post I'd love to hear from other owners about what they love about their cars. Doesn't need to only be R or RS owners as I'd love you all to chime in. When you gush to your friends (assuming you do) what things do you gush about? Do they get it? Do your "car friends" know what the XF (R/RS) even is? I've found that of my rather large group of car buddies virtually none know anything about these cars other than the stigma that a Jag is the "old man" car. Once they see, ride in and especially drive it they quickly understand why I'm such a fan and that this isn't your grandfather's Jag.

Ok, sorry, self gratifying post over. Looking forward to hearing from the rest of you so please don't be shy.

-Ross

The following 8 users liked this post by LotusExige:
2010 Kyanite XFR (02-06-2015), allenman85 (02-06-2015), bdboyle (02-07-2015), Bigg Will (02-06-2015), bollocsk187 (02-06-2015), Cambo (02-06-2015), Swimref (02-06-2015), thecurryman (02-10-2015) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-05-2015, 11:52 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Ross, I've got the same handle on LT, and I'm the one who posted a few times on your thread when you were considering the XFR (I've got a '13 XFR). Glad to see you pulled the trigger on your XFR.

Had mine for exactly 1 year, and I still get super-excited whenever I get in. Definitely a different experience than my Lotus Evora, but for highway cruising, it doesn't get any better than the XFR. I still can't get over how much power there is on tap, and the car looks absolutely stunning. I bought it thinking it would be a sleeper (I don't like attracting attention), but I get compliments from strangers constantly. To me it looks and drives like a cruise missile.

I feel like German car superfans (of which there are countless) will never get it. They automatically write off all Jaguars and refuse to consider the possibility that modern Jags can compete with their beloved over-engineered, over-tech'ed German cars. I actually prefer it that way because i think the rarity of Jaguars is a big reason why I love them (and Lotuses, coincidentally). Where I live, basically every other car is a German status symbol (based on what series/model you have). There are so many of them that I don't even appreciate M5s, AMGs, 911 Turbos etc anymore. How can you get excited about something when you see them multiple times a day, every day? Jags on the other hand are rare, and your heart skips a beat when you see one. When's the last time an E350 made you feel like that?

I feel like Jaguar has made HUGE strides in the last few years, and I'm very excited to see where they go from here. The XF and XJ were a massive step in the right direction, the F-Type Coupe is in my mind the sexiest non-supercar I've ever seen in my lifetime, and who knows what else Jag has in store. Big ups to Jaguar for bringing the manual to the V-6 F-Type, can't wait to test drive one.

The following users liked this post:
allenman85 (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

It is certainly nice to see someone getting so much enjoyment out of the Jag. There is something more than the sum of the parts that Jaguars have that other cars don't. Be that the styling or the exclusivity of the ownership experience; they add up to an emotional experience. Like, finding excuses for stepping out into the garage just to steal an other look at the Cat :-).

From my signatures it is obvious that I am captivated by the brand. Oh, I don't think for one moment that the cars are perfect. There are more powerful cars out there with better handling but, most of them leave me cold. I particularly love the shape and the interior designs of my Jaguars. The engine and the transmission are absolutely first class in either NA or SC forms. You just feel "special" driving a Jaguar. It even makes taking up with the substandard electronics worthwhile :-).

I used to own an early 1980s vintage Jaguar XJ6. Worst, most unreliable car I have ever owned. When nothing broke it was a joy to drive. The terrible ownership experience kept me from even looking at Jags for something, like 20 years. Thanks for Ford for fixing the quality issues; I have had now 5 Jaguars in the row with hardly any issues. I love the NA cars in my garage and I also love the XKR with its glorious amounts of power and torque. Some of us are just lucky to be in such position to own these cars...

Good luck and enjoy.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:46 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>XF and XJ were a massive step in the right direction

As was the S-Type that led up to the XF. I think we really need to thank Ford for what they accomplished and the path they placed Jaguar/Rover on plus the care that Tata has been taking since the purchase from Ford.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 02-06-2015, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

STOP IT, Ya letting the secret out!!..LOL

bollocsk187 (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Well thanks for that!!

I want to upgrade from my STR just because the miles are getting up there (110K now).

I hope it will be an XFR too.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I got my 09 XF just a short time ago. My budget was not quite where it needed to be for me in order to be able to afford a XFR which never bothered me because ive been in love with the XF for years and i promised myself as soon as i graduate college and find a respectable job i will get myself an XF which is exactly what i have done and i could not be happier with my purchase. Most people that ive told that i got a Jaguar XF did not even know what it looked like, they had to google it. One of my (well off) friends drives a 2007 S65 AMG with 703hp and i believe 800+ torque and even he said after driving it that for the money, i could not have bought a better car and just last night he told me that he wants to sell his mercedes and get a XFR-S.

Gpalace (02-11-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 08:48 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default My Exhaust note NA 5

Hey I am seriously jealous..... let us hear the note !

Just ran out and did mine, probably should have let it warm up but hey iphone ]sounds better than this converted file.

SilverBullet.wmv

Luv my car ---but need more HP so still looking at used XFR-S BLUE

Last edited by bollocsk187; 02-06-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Bought my '11 SC over BMW 550 because:

1) steering feel/handling (in dynamic mode at all times)
2) styling, I'm in the design profession, Ian knows design.
3) power plus features of SC

all of above add up to best value. Love getting in my car still after almost 3 years of ownership. Lusting for an F type, but also XKR in celestial black with red interior and XFR, and maybe new XF 2016.........verts are beautiful in IRR, too...

Old 02-07-2015, 08:41 AM
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LotusExige
I just wanted to take a moment to gush about my XFR for any readers out there considering purchasing one. I've owned several nice performance cars over the years, namely my 2008 Audi RS4 and while it was a very nice car it just doesn't hold a candle to my XF-R. Every time I walk up to the car I'm excited to drive it and every time I'm sitting in it I feel lucky to get to drive such an amazing machine. I legitimately feel bad for all the other drivers on the road who just don't understand what they are missing. I feel bad for the guy driving a brand new Honda Accord as for basically the same money I'm driving a British super saloon.

From the amazing exhaust note (that for me could be louder and soon will be), to the sublime comfort of the heated and cooled seats to the utterly amazing B&W audio system to the Spaceship like glow of the interior at night I just can't get enough. Even the base XF 3.0 loaner I had for a few days was an impressive car (and boy is the upgraded Infotainment system a nice upgrade). For anyone considering one of these if it's in your price range (and given how quickly they depreciate I'm sure there is one in y our budget) stop considering it and start shopping for one. So far there is basically nothing about the car that has not only met but far exceeded my expectations.

As this is a somewhat (ie totally) gratuitous post I'd love to hear from other owners about what they love about their cars. Doesn't need to only be R or RS owners as I'd love you all to chime in. When you gush to your friends (assuming you do) what things do you gush about? Do they get it? Do your "car friends" know what the XF (R/RS) even is? I've found that of my rather large group of car buddies virtually none know anything about these cars other than the stigma that a Jag is the "old man" car. Once they see, ride in and especially drive it they quickly understand why I'm such a fan and that this isn't your grandfather's Jag.

Ok, sorry, self gratifying post over. Looking forward to hearing from the rest of you so please don't be shy.

-Ross
Ross:

You and texevora (what is it with Lotus and Jag owners that there is, at least here in the colonies, such an intersection of marque appreciation between these two) hit many nails on the head.

Even though I'm only into the marque with an X308, I scour the local dealers for '12 lease turn-ins of XFs. Saw a nice Prestige that was turned in, but black on black just doesn't do it for me. If I'm going to spend some serious cash, I won't settle for something that isn't what I'm happy with just to have the ride.

I do steal a trip into the garage to look at, what is basically 3 model styles old parked next to a 44-year-old plastic car (the Europa S2) and marvel that I have both sitting there, waiting for me to open the taps a bit on a twisty bit of pavement...or cruise to somewhere with the SO riding shotgun.

No, neither is the most reliable (I built the Lotus by hand in 07...so I do all the work...the Jag has been making regular trips to take care of some of the more arcane jobs that the (D)PO let slide), but, for those who Get It...

And still on the hunt for a green on tan XF. Doesn't have to be an SC...in fact, I'd be happy with the NA version. But, if nothing comes around that trips my trigger...there is always the XE when that appears next year. Compelling price point and positioning in the market.

And I really don't give a fig whether anyone thinks the X308 is an 'old man's car'. Their loss...

Old 02-07-2015, 08:32 PM
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

My previous Jag was an XJ. I loved it but had too many issues even for being a master mechanic myself with decades of experience. It took a while for me to come back to a Jag. But after taking a drive in an XF last summer, I had to find one. I did find my CPO 2011 XF-S with the 5.0l NA motor in metallic black or ebony. I did replace the wheels and tires to my liking and I also built a carbon fiber splitter for the front bumper. The car just came off a lease and had regular service and nothing on the service record indicating a possible lemon or factory defects. However, I did replace the fan motor because it was running intermittent. That was never noticed probably because the car was bought in San Francisco where the weather is cool most year around requiring little to no fan use. It was easy to diagnose and easy to change. The hardest part was waiting for the parts to get to where I am at, in Guam USA.

I love my car and hope to enjoy it for many years.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been primarily a BMW fan (and only driven BMWs) until I saw an XF-R at the local BMW dealer. I immediately fell in love with the styling and aggressiveness of the front end (I have a 2010 so ill be getting the new diffuser to make the car look more aggressive from the rear).
To this day, when I see my car many times I pause and just stare at what could be considered one of the most beautiful and aggressive cars on the road today!

Old 02-11-2015, 09:21 AM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Jaguar XF

Hi,

After having owned all of the top luxury makes I can honestly say that my 2012 XF is the most enjoyable car that I have owned.

I bought this car with the 5.0 NA V8 as a CPO which had 10,000 miles on it. For the first six months I owned it I was getting somewhat concerned about the alleged Jaguar reliability issues. During this period I experienced the following;
1) replacement of window regulator
2) two replacements of left side adaptive lighting assemblies after having received error message about adaptive lighting
3) replacement of entire gas tank due to inaccurate fuel level readings on fuel gauge

After experiencing all of the above I began to have doubts about Jaguar but I must say that in the past 10 months I have had zero problems. Not a squeak or rattle even on coldest days, no engine warning lights, etc. etc...

The build quality, ride, brake feel, steering feel, etc.. are all exceptional. The car is extremely comfortable and with the addition of a 10 inch JL Audio sub woofer and amp even the base sound system sounds fantastic.

In fact, I have been considering to trade it in for a new 2015 XF 3.0 SC so that I could gain AWD, additional comfort features, and a much upgraded interior and sound system. Many people have expressed opinions about keeping the 5.0 engine over the newer 3.0 SC. However, the only way to know was to test drive one and I was quite surprised when I did. The 3.0 SC was very smooth, powerful, quiet and fun. I am still deciding what to do but every time I mention Audi, Mercedes, or BMW to my family they all become very vocal about sticking with Jaguar. With my past 3 Audi's I had numerous rattles, check engine lights, etc.. My BMW's had electrical problems and those darn run flats are a real PITA. Neither of those makes have the presence and IMHO level of interior and exterior styling and quality as my 2012 Jag which is in immaculate mechanical and cosmetic condition. I have also shown a couple of the newer Mercedes models to my family but they all find something wrong with them and are firm that they want Jaguar and ONLY Jaguar.

I am often told by strangers about how beautiful my car is and the next comment is always about how bad they heard that Jaguar reliability is. Just about everyone says this and it will take quite some time for Jaguar to overcome this stigma.

Ed

Old 02-17-2015, 10:56 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I had a 2010 XFR for 5 years, and I drove it hard for 103,000 miles. Lunar gray/red zone interior.

Let me just say that it was the BEST car that I have ever owned. I've had Mercedes, BMW's and Audi's, but the XFR was just special.

I currently have an F-Type R, and yes, it is cool. But, the XFR was something special because it did everything well....it was the closest you can get to a no-compromise car.

The original 2010 design with the adaptive cruise as standard was just so good. Just the best. I miss it.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:26 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

We have had our XF since May 2014. It is my wife's car and I am the crewchief who occasionally gets to drive it. She is battling lung cancer. She absolutely loves it and even on her worst days it brings a big smile to her face. It is truly a wonderful car. She had had Mustang GT, Infiniti G37 coupe and convertible, Cadillac CTS coupe and ATS sedan but the Big Kitty is what she loves the most. It has been very beneficial in keeping up her spirits.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Sorry to hear about your wife's condition. Hope she responds well to treatment. Glad the car gives her something positive to focus on. I think it's really important for them to smile.

My mother is just starting her second regimen of chemo after her lymphoma diagnosis is 2011. She was in remission for about 18 mos. So there can be some light at the end of the tunnel, even if it's brief.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:42 PM
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I too am very sorry to hear about your wife and hope things go very well with her treatment. Having something, no matter what, that makes you smile is very important. Having something as great as an XF is even better.

While I agree this is almost the perfect no compromise car I finally took mine to the track this weekend. Per my screen name here I have a fully track prepared 2006 Lotus Exige that's doing 365 wheel HP (stock is about 160) so it's rather insane. I run a 1:58 lap at HPR (our local track) and the best I could manage in the XFR (all stock) was a 2:12. Granted I didn't push it very hard as she is my daily but given I'm fairly quick and know HPR as well as anyone that's pretty much as quick as it's gonna go. While I smiled the entire time it was more my laughing at it than with it! She was best described as a luxury sport yacht than car! The power was fun (power oversteering corner after corner with smoke boiling off the tires was a blast) but good lord did she roll around far more than I expected. My stock '08 RS4 could manage a 2:08 there with only 414hp and only a few hundred pounds lighter. The power was fun and while the brakes never faded let's say I had to brake *far* earlier than I do in my Lotus (obviously as the Lotus weighs about 1900lbs). We figured out the Lotus is half the weight with more than double the power-to-pound than the XFR but still a 14 second gap between the two seems like an eternity.

So let's say her first day on the track will certainly be her last as there's just no reason to pound on her when she's just not built for that. Probably the only place where the M5 is better in my mind as it really is far more capable on the track than the big cat. Being clear I'm in no way disappointed by my purchase and still maintain she's the most epic car I've ever had.

-Ross

Old 02-20-2015, 04:34 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

Thanks for everybody's kind words. She is doing pretty well and is responding to treatment. The Big Kitty has been holed up for a few days because of ice and snow. Its a crisp 7 degrees Fahrenheit here today. The F150 is the preferred vehicle. The Ford boys make good heaters.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just bought a 2011 XFR a few weeks ago and agree with you 100%.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:14 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I could not be paid enough to own a BMW, their build quality is in the same territory as Hansel and Gretel or Snow White....good fables with not a hint of truth. Just ask a BMW driver about his "fall apart" wheels...or a 1 or 5 series about his timing chains???? The timing chain issue is real peachy "Vee Vill puton in der timing chainen at der back oft der engine... unt oh yeah, ve vill only use der simplex chainen in der"! Talk about designed by morons!!!!

Give me my XF chip fryer any day!

Last edited by Big Dipstick; 03-02-2015 at 05:16 PM.